what's the deal with online pharm D programs (accredited)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tryinghard

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i heard this is coming about...any truth..any specifics. what are the pros and cons of getting pahrm d degree online (i guess the last year being one in which you have to go to the location.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't really offer you much help. I have heard of some BS pharmacists getting the pharmd online, but that is all I've heard. Can you give a web address, because I'd be interested in looking at the program? If it really is an all online program, then I just don't think very highly of it. There is ALWAYS something to be gained out of face to face teacher/student interaction.

Jason

These programs are ONLY for BSc.Pharm holders, and do include the periodical contact hours. Don't have any other specifics, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
University of Florida has a distance learning program. The morning lectures on campus start at 8:30am. These are taped, digitized and arrive on the internet 2 hours later. You watch the lectures from home. You can pause them to catch up with notes, replay what the professor just said, watch them again, etc. The lectures are also available for traditional students on the Gainesville campus.

Satellite campus are located in Seminole, Apopka and Jacksonville. You have to drive to your home campus 2-3 times per week to work on group projects, do your practicum, and do presentations. Tests are given at the same time (Friday Nights) on every campus.

I've talked to students who have completed their first year of this program. They really liked it. One guy went to the live lecture to compare and said there was no difference. Professors respond to email questions with no delay.

....it's a good idea. Anything to try and attack the shortage of pharmacists. We could certainly use something like that here in California right now.

I do think, however, if you chose this route rather than a traditional school for your pharmd you'll be less competitive, but i don't have anything to back that up with.