What's the deal with PCOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dgf32

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been complete at PCOM since 10/15, but I haven't heard anything. When I call, all they'll say is that my application's complete. I don't get it. I thought I was a competitive applicant (Philly resident, 3.4 gpa from an Ivy, 30 MCAT), but I haven't heard anything.

Has anyone else just not heard from PCOM?

Members don't see this ad.

dgf32 said:
I've been complete at PCOM since 10/15, but I haven't heard anything. When I call, all they'll say is that my application's complete. I don't get it. I thought I was a competitive applicant (Philly resident, 3.4 gpa from an Ivy, 30 MCAT), but I haven't heard anything.

I haven't heard, either. My stats are a bit lower than yours and I'm not a PA resident, but I also thought I had a fairly good shot. My application was complete the first week of November.

They are very slow to contact people. Another student at my institution applied to PCOM and her application was complete in July. She didn't get contacted for an interview until November. So I'm just hanging in there, since they did say that they interview all the way through April.

I have been complete since mid-August, and I still haven't heard anything. I am out of state applicant so I am at tougher situation. They do prefer in-state applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm SOOOOOOO frustrated. PCOM's always been my first choice, and I really want to get it. I just wish they'd give me an interview. I don't understand how other schools can get back to me the day after my application is completed and PCOM takes this many months.

I would strongly suggest that you call and ask to speak with the head of admissions regarding your application. They were very accomodating with me when I requested this and I was able to get my application looked at regarding a specific question that I had. I don't think there is anything wrong with stating your case and saying you are curious as to why you haven't heard anything, especially with your strong credentials. Give it a try.....it can only help

I agree with Taus. Especially since you're a Philadelphia resident I find it extremely strange you haven't gotten a response.

Taus said:
I would strongly suggest that you call and ask to speak with the head of admissions regarding your application. They were very accomodating with me when I requested this and I was able to get my application looked at regarding a specific question that I had. I don't think there is anything wrong with stating your case and saying you are curious as to why you haven't heard anything, especially with your strong credentials. Give it a try.....it can only help

Would you suggest the same course of action for an out-of-state applicant with a STRONG preference for PCOM? I already sent a letter of interest about a week ago, but I didn't explain my situation (my significant other will be starting school in Philadelphia in the fall), I just outlined the reasons for my strong interest in the school and updated them on my activities and grades from last semester. Does my situation merit explanation?

Thanks so much for your advice.

I was originally really opposed to making any of these calls as I felt that it was really embarrassing and stupid. BUT I was convinced by few others that it CANT HURT YOU AND CAN ONLY HELP and I will now be attending PCOM in the fall. I would suggest to just go for it, get the head of admissions on the phone, explain it all, and see what happens. Worst case scenario is that nothing will happen and the best case scenario is that they take your application out of the pile and look it over again.

Thought I'd leach off this thread . . .

I called PCOM recently, found out my app was complete, and am trying to request an interview. I have an interview at LECOM-Erie and want to buy one plane ticket to Pennsylvania. Anyway, I had to leave a message for "Debbie" (I think she's the Director of Admissions). I'd be surprised if she calls back, but I'm going to call every day until I reach her (or until the admissions staff tell me to do something else). When I specifically asked for an interview, "Monica" made it sound like this is something that gets looked into, but Debbie had to be the one to do it. I'm sure if it wasn't possible she would have just told me so. Anyway, I guess I agree with everyone else, that you should just call and see what's going on with your application. Maybe if you're willing to push a little, they're willing to take a look at your app.

Khenon said:
I called PCOM recently, found out my app was complete, and am trying to request an interview. I have an interview at LECOM-Erie and want to buy one plane ticket to Pennsylvania.

Pennsylvania's a big state, infact it's at least 6 and a half, maybe 7 hours from Philadelphia to Erie. They're on exact oposite sides of the state.

As for PCOM, just keep at it. The admissions director was really good about calling me back, and she was even apologetic for not calling me back the same day I left a message.

It is a long long way, but Orbitz.com does great 3 stop plane tickets that would save a lot of money on individual tickets. That's what I did for my Philly-Oakland-LA trip, $300! But you can certainly use to your advantage the fact that you have a LECOM invite to get them to give you a quicker decision. Debbie was good about calling me back the same day and is really friendly. btw, how was your COMP interview? PM me

I second that notion that Debbie (Benvinger) has been great at returning messages and is very cordial on the phone

dgf32 said:

I was accepted for the class of 2008 at PCOM but ended up going to an allopathic school. I called every week mainly to see if my application was complete. when it was finally complete the secretary put the admissions director on phone but i didnt know it. i could hear her turning pages then she gave me an interview date over the phone. your credentials sound great. i would diffenently bug them or make an appointment with someone. also when you interview you better make sure they know why you want to go DO and to PCOM.
Good luck- i really liked the school and probally would of enjoyed it had I gone.
mark

Khenon said:
Thought I'd leach off this thread . . .

I called PCOM recently, found out my app was complete, and am trying to request an interview. I have an interview at LECOM-Erie and want to buy one plane ticket to Pennsylvania. Anyway, I had to leave a message for "Debbie" (I think she's the Director of Admissions). I'd be surprised if she calls back, but I'm going to call every day until I reach her (or until the admissions staff tell me to do something else). When I specifically asked for an interview, "Monica" made it sound like this is something that gets looked into, but Debbie had to be the one to do it. I'm sure if it wasn't possible she would have just told me so. Anyway, I guess I agree with everyone else, that you should just call and see what's going on with your application. Maybe if you're willing to push a little, they're willing to take a look at your app.
Debbie did get back with me, but wasn't able to help me with an interview. She said "if" my application get's pulled, she'll have it noted that I already have an interview in PA on March 11. I thought maybe she would look at my app right then too, but she didn't. I know, because she didn't even know my last name, because she couldn't read the message left for her. I guess I'll have to wait out the traditional methods of getting an interview.

And I realize Erie and Philly are far apart, but a 3-stop plane ticket is the same price as a single round trip ticket to PA. Unfortunately, I can't wait much longer to get my ticket to Erie, so I guess I'm going to have to buck up the money for another ticket if I get an interview to PCOM. Such is life.

Khenon said:
I guess I'll have to wait out the traditional methods of getting an interview.

In fairness, from the perspective of the school, it would be wise not to make it a habit of offering interviews to those who call and ask. Otherwise, word will get out and suddenly you will have 4000+ applicants/year calling and asking for interviews.

Khenon, I understand the frustration of the application process. I do hope that you will get a PCOM invite and get a chance to visit the school and see the city.

Advice: If you are willing to go through some MAJOR inconvenience to save money, perhaps flying into NYC, or DC, or Baltimore, and taking greyhound to Philly, might save you some money. (round-way trip via Greyhound from NYC to Philly is $36, $25 if you book 3-days in advance). Don't forget the cab fair from airport to greyhound (and greyhound to airport on the return trip).

Also try looking at USAir since PHL is a hub. Southwest also flies out of PHL so check them out too :)

Best of luck