dgf32

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2004
47
0
Boston, MA
Status
I've been complete at PCOM since 10/15, but I haven't heard anything. When I call, all they'll say is that my application's complete. I don't get it. I thought I was a competitive applicant (Philly resident, 3.4 gpa from an Ivy, 30 MCAT), but I haven't heard anything.

Has anyone else just not heard from PCOM?
 

Karine04

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2004
106
0
Philadelphia, PA
Status
Medical Student
dgf32 said:
I've been complete at PCOM since 10/15, but I haven't heard anything. When I call, all they'll say is that my application's complete. I don't get it. I thought I was a competitive applicant (Philly resident, 3.4 gpa from an Ivy, 30 MCAT), but I haven't heard anything.

Has anyone else just not heard from PCOM?
I haven't heard, either. My stats are a bit lower than yours and I'm not a PA resident, but I also thought I had a fairly good shot. My application was complete the first week of November.

They are very slow to contact people. Another student at my institution applied to PCOM and her application was complete in July. She didn't get contacted for an interview until November. So I'm just hanging in there, since they did say that they interview all the way through April.
 

dr.z

15+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2004
4,096
4
Detroit, MI
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I have been complete since mid-August, and I still haven't heard anything. I am out of state applicant so I am at tougher situation. They do prefer in-state applicants.
 
OP
D

dgf32

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2004
47
0
Boston, MA
Status
I'm SOOOOOOO frustrated. PCOM's always been my first choice, and I really want to get it. I just wish they'd give me an interview. I don't understand how other schools can get back to me the day after my application is completed and PCOM takes this many months.
 

Taus

.
Moderator
10+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
3,909
501
Philly
Status
Attending Physician
I would strongly suggest that you call and ask to speak with the head of admissions regarding your application. They were very accomodating with me when I requested this and I was able to get my application looked at regarding a specific question that I had. I don't think there is anything wrong with stating your case and saying you are curious as to why you haven't heard anything, especially with your strong credentials. Give it a try.....it can only help
 

MasterShakeDO

The Drizzle
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2005
213
4
Southern Cal
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I agree with Taus. Especially since you're a Philadelphia resident I find it extremely strange you haven't gotten a response.
 

Karine04

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2004
106
0
Philadelphia, PA
Status
Medical Student
Taus said:
I would strongly suggest that you call and ask to speak with the head of admissions regarding your application. They were very accomodating with me when I requested this and I was able to get my application looked at regarding a specific question that I had. I don't think there is anything wrong with stating your case and saying you are curious as to why you haven't heard anything, especially with your strong credentials. Give it a try.....it can only help
Would you suggest the same course of action for an out-of-state applicant with a STRONG preference for PCOM? I already sent a letter of interest about a week ago, but I didn't explain my situation (my significant other will be starting school in Philadelphia in the fall), I just outlined the reasons for my strong interest in the school and updated them on my activities and grades from last semester. Does my situation merit explanation?

Thanks so much for your advice.
 

Taus

.
Moderator
10+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
3,909
501
Philly
Status
Attending Physician
I was originally really opposed to making any of these calls as I felt that it was really embarrassing and stupid. BUT I was convinced by few others that it CANT HURT YOU AND CAN ONLY HELP and I will now be attending PCOM in the fall. I would suggest to just go for it, get the head of admissions on the phone, explain it all, and see what happens. Worst case scenario is that nothing will happen and the best case scenario is that they take your application out of the pile and look it over again.
 

Khenon

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2004
1,025
2
Rochester, MN
Status
Thought I'd leach off this thread . . .

I called PCOM recently, found out my app was complete, and am trying to request an interview. I have an interview at LECOM-Erie and want to buy one plane ticket to Pennsylvania. Anyway, I had to leave a message for "Debbie" (I think she's the Director of Admissions). I'd be surprised if she calls back, but I'm going to call every day until I reach her (or until the admissions staff tell me to do something else). When I specifically asked for an interview, "Monica" made it sound like this is something that gets looked into, but Debbie had to be the one to do it. I'm sure if it wasn't possible she would have just told me so. Anyway, I guess I agree with everyone else, that you should just call and see what's going on with your application. Maybe if you're willing to push a little, they're willing to take a look at your app.
 

NeuroDO

Neuro, D.O.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
61
0
37
New Haven, CT
Status
Khenon said:
I called PCOM recently, found out my app was complete, and am trying to request an interview. I have an interview at LECOM-Erie and want to buy one plane ticket to Pennsylvania.
Pennsylvania's a big state, infact it's at least 6 and a half, maybe 7 hours from Philadelphia to Erie. They're on exact oposite sides of the state.

As for PCOM, just keep at it. The admissions director was really good about calling me back, and she was even apologetic for not calling me back the same day I left a message.
 

MasterShakeDO

The Drizzle
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2005
213
4
Southern Cal
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It is a long long way, but Orbitz.com does great 3 stop plane tickets that would save a lot of money on individual tickets. That's what I did for my Philly-Oakland-LA trip, $300! But you can certainly use to your advantage the fact that you have a LECOM invite to get them to give you a quicker decision. Debbie was good about calling me back the same day and is really friendly. btw, how was your COMP interview? PM me
 

Taus

.
Moderator
10+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
3,909
501
Philly
Status
Attending Physician
I second that notion that Debbie (Benvinger) has been great at returning messages and is very cordial on the phone
 

threepeas

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
201
3
Status
dgf32 said:
I've been complete at PCOM since 10/15, but I haven't heard anything. When I call, all they'll say is that my application's complete. I don't get it. I thought I was a competitive applicant (Philly resident, 3.4 gpa from an Ivy, 30 MCAT), but I haven't heard anything.

Has anyone else just not heard from PCOM?
I was accepted for the class of 2008 at PCOM but ended up going to an allopathic school. I called every week mainly to see if my application was complete. when it was finally complete the secretary put the admissions director on phone but i didnt know it. i could hear her turning pages then she gave me an interview date over the phone. your credentials sound great. i would diffenently bug them or make an appointment with someone. also when you interview you better make sure they know why you want to go DO and to PCOM.
Good luck- i really liked the school and probally would of enjoyed it had I gone.
mark
 

Khenon

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2004
1,025
2
Rochester, MN
Status
Khenon said:
Thought I'd leach off this thread . . .

I called PCOM recently, found out my app was complete, and am trying to request an interview. I have an interview at LECOM-Erie and want to buy one plane ticket to Pennsylvania. Anyway, I had to leave a message for "Debbie" (I think she's the Director of Admissions). I'd be surprised if she calls back, but I'm going to call every day until I reach her (or until the admissions staff tell me to do something else). When I specifically asked for an interview, "Monica" made it sound like this is something that gets looked into, but Debbie had to be the one to do it. I'm sure if it wasn't possible she would have just told me so. Anyway, I guess I agree with everyone else, that you should just call and see what's going on with your application. Maybe if you're willing to push a little, they're willing to take a look at your app.
Debbie did get back with me, but wasn't able to help me with an interview. She said "if" my application get's pulled, she'll have it noted that I already have an interview in PA on March 11. I thought maybe she would look at my app right then too, but she didn't. I know, because she didn't even know my last name, because she couldn't read the message left for her. I guess I'll have to wait out the traditional methods of getting an interview.

And I realize Erie and Philly are far apart, but a 3-stop plane ticket is the same price as a single round trip ticket to PA. Unfortunately, I can't wait much longer to get my ticket to Erie, so I guess I'm going to have to buck up the money for another ticket if I get an interview to PCOM. Such is life.
 

group_theory

EX-TER-MIN-ATE!'
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2002
4,675
1,579
Status
Attending Physician
Khenon said:
I guess I'll have to wait out the traditional methods of getting an interview.
In fairness, from the perspective of the school, it would be wise not to make it a habit of offering interviews to those who call and ask. Otherwise, word will get out and suddenly you will have 4000+ applicants/year calling and asking for interviews.

Khenon, I understand the frustration of the application process. I do hope that you will get a PCOM invite and get a chance to visit the school and see the city.

Advice: If you are willing to go through some MAJOR inconvenience to save money, perhaps flying into NYC, or DC, or Baltimore, and taking greyhound to Philly, might save you some money. (round-way trip via Greyhound from NYC to Philly is $36, $25 if you book 3-days in advance). Don't forget the cab fair from airport to greyhound (and greyhound to airport on the return trip).

Also try looking at USAir since PHL is a hub. Southwest also flies out of PHL so check them out too :)

Best of luck