Whats the deal with peds fellowship competitiveness?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

devildoc2

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I dont get it.

http://www.nrmp.org/fellow/match_name/index.html#PCCM

The NRMP data for peds fellowships shows that there are lots of unfilled programs every year. Even peds cards has unfilled programs inthe double digits, more than 10% of their programs went unfilled last year.

But when you look at the match rates, they are low. For example only 83% of US grads successfully matched in peds heme onc, 86% for peds cards, etc.

The only conclusion that I can draw frmo this program is that there are lots of fellowships who would rather go unfilled than take a mediocre applicant, and that they are literally looking for only top tier applicants.

Is this a fair assumption? Other4wise how do you reconcile the high unmatched rates iwth teh high number of unfilled programs?

I dont get it.

Members don't see this ad.

There are many fellowships that will leave a spot unfilled rather than take an applicant who's a bad fit for the program. Conversely, I think there are probably a fair number of the unmatched applicants who only wanted a top tier program and were unwilling to go elsewhere.