Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Whats the deal with peds fellowship competitiveness?

Discussion in 'Pediatrics' started by devildoc2, Mar 10, 2007.

1. devildoc2

devildoc2 Membership Revoked
    Removed

I dont get it.

http://www.nrmp.org/fellow/match_name/index.html#PCCM

The NRMP data for peds fellowships shows that there are lots of unfilled programs every year. Even peds cards has unfilled programs inthe double digits, more than 10% of their programs went unfilled last year.

But when you look at the match rates, they are low. For example only 83% of US grads successfully matched in peds heme onc, 86% for peds cards, etc.

The only conclusion that I can draw frmo this program is that there are lots of fellowships who would rather go unfilled than take a mediocre applicant, and that they are literally looking for only top tier applicants.

Is this a fair assumption? Other4wise how do you reconcile the high unmatched rates iwth teh high number of unfilled programs?

I dont get it.

2. notstudying

notstudying Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

There are many fellowships that will leave a spot unfilled rather than take an applicant who's a bad fit for the program. Conversely, I think there are probably a fair number of the unmatched applicants who only wanted a top tier program and were unwilling to go elsewhere.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...