What’s the deal with the match this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sargon2123

Reaction score
Anectodal but:

- Lots of unmatched at all kinds of schools. My own mid tier school had 3 that didn’t match.
- Many DO’s did not match
- Every specialty saw a very noticeable uptick in competitiveness (psych, anesthesia, EM)

Is this it now? Are there just too many students applying due to med school proliferation? Seems like this is a pretty poor career option for 80% of students who are coming into M1 next year and will for sure have p/f step 1. Gone are the days where getting in was the hardest part

Members don't see this ad.

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 user
Anectodal but:

- Lots of unmatched at all kinds of schools. My own mid tier school had 3 that didn’t match.
- Every specialty saw a very noticeable uptick in competitiveness (psych, anesthesia, EM)

Is this it now? Are there just too many students applying due to med school proliferation? Seems like this is a pretty poor career option for 80% of students who are coming into M1 next year and will for sure have p/f step 1. Gone are the days where getting in was the hardest part

The DO match rate, like the actual match rate not placement, was the highest it's ever been at 90.7%..... MD match rate was 94% I think.

People will always not match, but yes, the increase in students is going to raise competitiveness across the board. The sky is not falling yet.

Reactions: 12 users
The match rate has gone up for DOs (from 88% last year to 90.7% this year) with even less DOs gone unmatched than previous years. It has been pretty stable for MDs at 93-94%, so I don't know what you're talking about.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Unless your school has <30 students, your school is above average.

Best ever year for DOs (by match %)

It’s hard to confidently make this claim without charting outcomes.

School expansion may eventually be a problem but this paragraph is waaaaay hyperbolic homie.

Reactions: 1 user
Schools like yours who are not used to having a handful of students not match each year are going to become very comfortable with that reality in the years to come. It’s just the nature of the merger and increased applications.

Is there any data for international students that matched?

Schools like yours who are not used to having a handful of students not match each year are going to become very comfortable with that reality in the years to come. It’s just the nature of the merger and increased applications.

@IsWhat -Would going to an American school still keep its advantage with the merger?

In terms of actual numbers, everything is pretty similar to what it's been in the past. I feel like every year, the current 4th years feel like this season was terrible, but when the actual numbers come out, it's usually more of the same. Things will gradually get harder, but this is very gradually. I wonder if it has something to do with expectations or what.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else feel like school expansion should have a GME requirement? Like your school needs to sponsor enough residency positions to support whatever the graduating complement of your class is?

Reactions: 10 users