What's the deal with waitlists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blondie007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm confused about waitlists. I have withdrawn from all my accepted schools save one (the one where I'll probably end up going), but I am currently on two waitlists. Can I stay on both waitlists even though I've accepted an acceptance and scholarship at another school? Can I stay on both waitlists or do I have to choose one and when do I have to choose? And, finally, does the school I'm matriculating at as of now know/able to see I'm still on two waitlists?

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is that you can stay on as many waitlists are you like, but that you can only have one acceptance at a time. In the future (post-May 15), if you get off a waitlist, you can basically trade-out your acceptance in hand for the new one (but may have to forfeit a secruity deposit).

Also, I do not think that schools know about where you are waitlisted, or even where you applied, only where you have been accepted.

For what it's worth.

The title of this thread sounds like a Jerry Seinfeld joke setup.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm confused about waitlists. I have withdrawn from all my accepted schools save one (the one where I'll probably end up going), but I am currently on two waitlists. Can I stay on both waitlists even though I've accepted an acceptance and scholarship at another school? Can I stay on both waitlists or do I have to choose one and when do I have to choose? And, finally, does the school I'm matriculating at as of now know/able to see I'm still on two waitlists?
Until May 15, you can hold as many acceptances and wait list spots as you wish.
After May 15, you can only hold one acceptance at a time, but as many wait list spots as you care to hold (as Darksmurf said). The nitty gritty of how that "one acceptance at a time" deal works with wait lists is this: You are holding an acceptance at school A, and holding wait list spots at schools B, C, and D. Let's say school B offers you a spot. If you choose to take school B's spot, you must notify school A within two weeks that you wish to withdraw your spot there (official AAMC rules...let me try to find a source for this so you have a reference). If school C were to offer you an acceptance later on, the same situation would apply (you have 2 weeks to withdraw from one of the schools).

I'm not sure if schools that you've been accepted to can see if you're on waitlists.

Let's say school B offers you a spot. If you choose to take school B's spot, you must notify school A within two weeks that you wish to withdraw your spot there (official AAMC rules...let me try to find a source for this so you have a reference). If school C were to offer you an acceptance later on, the same situation would apply (you have 2 weeks to withdraw from one of the schools).

I'm not sure if schools that you've been accepted to can see if you're on waitlists.

Actually the 2 week thing is pre-May 15th. After May 15th, School B can give you any timeline they wish to send an intent to register and deposit and that school must let school A know that they offered you a spot. You are then required to contact school A to let them know you are taking the spot ASAP. As far as I know there is no set time but its supposed to be as soon as you've decided on school B (and how long that takes will ultimately depend on how long they gave you to decide).

The title of this thread sounds like a Jerry Seinfeld joke setup.

I mean, c'mon.... You'd think waitlist means you are actually waiting to get in, you're just waiting for it. It SHOULD be called the "only-a-glimmer-of-hope list." That's what it should be called.

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all night.

Actually the 2 week thing is pre-May 15th. After May 15th, School B can give you any timeline they wish to send an intent to register and deposit and that school must let school A know that they offered you a spot. You are then required to contact school A to let them know you are taking the spot ASAP. As far as I know there is no set time but its supposed to be as soon as you've decided on school B (and how long that takes will ultimately depend on how long they gave you to decide).
oh hmm, i could have sworn that i read somewhere that even after may 15 you still had 2 weeks to officially withdraw at the other school (b/c you might not be able to make that decision immediately without financial aid information, etc.). but now that i read the AAMC recommendation for schools and applicants, it seems like it's meant to be whatever deadline School B decides.

oh hmm, i could have sworn that i read somewhere that even after may 15 you still had 2 weeks to officially withdraw at the other school (b/c you might not be able to make that decision immediately without financial aid information, etc.). but now that i read the AAMC recommendation for schools and applicants, it seems like it's meant to be whatever deadline School B decides.

Yeah and the thing is that after May 15th AMCAS rules no longer protect you against ridiculous turn around times (before May 15th they can't expect anything sooner than 2 weeks - after its at their discretion).

But I have stressed about this to, in fact, my last acceptance even if I'm out right accepted and not waitlisted can't possibly happen until after May 15th (they meet on May 16th). Basically if I get contacted by the school and accepted I'm going to ask them, how quickly must I return the intent to register/deposit and how quickly must I withdraw from my other school.

This is your safest bet.