What's the deal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student101

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is going on? So many rejections. Here's my profile:

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=7614

Edit: Since posting this thread I have been accepted to a good medical school and I am very pleased about it. Please disregard this thread. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

What is going on? So many rejections. Here's my profile:

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=7614

I am guessing you spent a lot of time on your secondaries....even if you didn't, with your stats, you should get more invites than that.

my guess is a diseased letter of recommendation.

whatever it is, it seems like its something universal in your application (amcas, LORs, etc) that all adcomm's dont like.

sorry dude.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well for one it seems like your going for the top tier schools. Maybe you need more clinical experience or volunteering experience.

I was thinking a bad LOR as well...

What about volunteering experience? I see teaching (paid jobs I assume) and shadowing but no volunteer work. That might be a problem as well.

1. What undergrad school did you go to?

2. You don't list any clinical experience, or volunteering.

3. Major?

4. Other awards/clubs? What exactly is chemistry award of the year? Is that only for your school?

Ask yourself those questions.

Well for one it seems like your going for the top tier schools. Maybe you need more clinical experience or volunteering experience.

Agreed. But waitlisted at my state school? My gosh!

And, no, I didn't apply late.

How about research experience? Most of the schools you applied to are big research schools.

Service.

Medicine is a service profession so some service to others is highly valued. Serving those of a lower socio-economic class is considered better than similar service to your peer group. (Gives you a broader perspective on society).

Clinical service is better than non-clinical all things being equal.

Tutoring college kids<tutoring adult GED students<middle class hospice<free clinic

I was thinking a bad LOR as well...

What about volunteering experience? I see teaching (paid jobs I assume) and shadowing but no volunteer work. That might be a problem as well.

I think you nailed it Soccer885. I suspected the LOR thing. Just wanted some reassurance that I wasn't being paranoid. I suppose when I apply next year I'll make sure I have more volunteer experience and make sure my LOR's are strong.

The state school may think that you are "too good" for them and you would reject them to go to a big deal school or they don't think that your interest in medicine is in sync with their mission (particularly if the school is into primary care or rural medicine and you are totally gungo-ho on interventional radiology or something like that).

I think you nailed it Soccer885. I suspected the LOR thing. Just wanted some reassurance that I wasn't being paranoid. I suppose when I apply next year I'll make sure I have more volunteer experience and make sure my LOR's are strong.

With stats like yours, it is definately fishy that you didnt get more interviews. I too suspect a bad LOR. Clearly, that might be difficult to address. The easier things to fix, if you do have to reapply, will be applying to more mid and low tier schools. You would probably be more competitive for all those top tier schools with research and something altruistic (barring a negative rec letter of course).

"Teacher, Supplemental Instruction, General Chem I and II
Teacher, MCAT, Kaplan
Chemistry Student of the Year 2004-05
Various shadowing of MD's, etc"

So, I don't really think "shadowing MDs" is enough clinical to make up for your lack of clinical or clinical service or general volunteering.

If you had serious research experience, I think you could emphasize that in your application and schools would overlook that you have less clinical experience than some, but it doesn't seem like you have any research experience....which is unfortunate.

I would recommend doing clinical research if possible before your reapplication. That way you can get clinical experience and research exposure concurrently and maybe flesh out the ECs a little bit. I am not so sure (just judging from your mdapps) that the problem was a negative LOR....

Members don't see this ad :)

Dude, what's wrong with you? You got accepted. End of story. Now go become a doctor. About 1/2 of the people who apply don't get to pass go; consider yourself fortunate and learn to check your ego.

As to what I think happened, it's simple: for many schools everyone has good MCAT scores and good UGPA; adcoms are looking at your whole application, which includes your extracurricular activities and experiences. These should include clinical work, volunteer/community service experiences, leadership, and sometimes research experiences. They want to see how diverse you are and that you have sound personal qualities in addition to having good numbers. Also, don't underestimate the value of your interview and your LOR's.

My advice? Take your acceptance and run with it. It doesn't matter as much where you attend as the work you put into your study.

PS: If you really want to know why you were rejected, why not ask an admissions counselor (someone who has seen your profile) at one of the schools that denied you admission? Sometimes they will disclose this kind of information.

you have great stats and i wish you luck, however there are many people with great stats and a great track record with clinicals/volunteering. Without that kind of stuff it seems really difficult to get in.

I'm going to say it looks like you lack in the ECs department. I think you should do more volunteering in both clinical and non clinical areas and maybe even some research. I'd take a year off and work on strengthening your non numerical ECs. Oh and talk to admissions directors/deans at all schools that rejected you and ask them what you could do specifically to improve your app and what they'd consider more important, research, volunteering, etc.

Wow didn't realize this dude got accepted. Dude, just be glad you got in somewhere!!! I wouldn't reapply if I were you. It will be a real big red flag if you reapply with an acceptance in hand. Plus its not like the middle of north dakota or anything. Its SLU which is a pretty good school and not that far from WashU if you want opportunties for research and stuff.

That said, as I said in my previous post your clinical and non clinical community service and research experience lacks. You also don't have othr significant ECs that set you apart. That's your downfall. But for the love of god don't reapply. Run with the acceptance you have in hand!!

Geez, is one bad LOR that damaging? Most of the professors I've talked to seem so interested in helping their students get into grad/med school. I can't imagine someone taking the time just to write a negative LOR. Why wouldn't they just tell the students upfront that they can't write a positive LOR?

Dude, what's wrong with you? You got accepted. End of story. Now go become a doctor. About 1/2 of the people who apply don't get to pass go; consider yourself fortunate and learn to check your ego.

Just got accepted today. I posted this thread while I was still in panic mode, but thanks for the comment about checking my ego. :rolleyes: Gimme a break, dude.

I am not so sure (just judging from your mdapps) that the problem was a negative LOR....

Just FYI, it was a bad LOR. I confronted the person who I suspected, and they dodged the question... four times. Anyway, my advice to everyone reading this would be to make sure your LOR's are good. When asking, say "Would you be willing to write a GOOD LOR for me?" If they hesitate, just walk away. My one acceptance came from a school that did NOT get that particular LOR, further confirming my suspicions.

called it.:cool:
Seriously though, I think it is underestimated how damaging a negative LOR can be...adcomms EXPECT LOR's to be extremely flattering, so when one isn't, it is definately a red flag.

why would one prof be so spiteful to agree to do a LOR while secretly trying to ruin your chances? usually if they already hate you, then they are will not write a LOR for you

One would think so, right? Maybe they think it is their ethical obligation or something.

Just got accepted today. I posted this thread while I was still in panic mode, but thanks for the comment about checking my ego. :rolleyes: Gimme a break, dude.

I did not intend to convey any disrespect. On the contrary, actually. I simply wished to express my surprise that you would consider reapplying with an acceptance in hand, that's all. Perhaps I didn't express that as clearly as I wanted. Anyway, congratulations on your acceptance to SLU, and I am glad you found the root of what caused your problem. I wish you luck in your future endeavors. :thumbup:

I did not intend to convey any disrespect. On the contrary, actually. I simply wished to express my surprise that you would consider reapplying with an acceptance in hand, that's all. Perhaps I didn't express that as clearly as I wanted. Anyway, congratulations on your acceptance to SLU, and I am glad you found the root of what caused your problem. I wish you luck in your future endeavors. :thumbup:

Thanks. And I WILL be attending SLU in the fall and I am very excited about it. After interviewing there it moved to the top of my list. I think it will be a great fit for me. The timing of this thread was just unfortunate. I started the thread on Thurs. and was accepted on Fri. Without understanding this timeline, several posters got all up in arms that I was disgruntled about an acceptance. Totally NOT TRUE. I am thrilled to be accepted to medical school and can't wait to start. My God, you should have seen all the nasty comments on my mdapplicants profile. I deleted them, of course. This kind of stuff is exactly why, despite being a member here for almost 2 years, I rarely post in this forum. Some people here get all worked up over nothing. They are quick to jump to conclusions and crucify someone for no reason.

Thanks. And I WILL be attending SLU in the fall and I am very excited about it. After interviewing there it moved to the top of my list. I think it will be a great fit for me. The timing of this thread was just unfortunate. I started the thread on Thurs. and was accepted on Fri. Without understanding this timeline, several posters got all up in arms that I was disgruntled about an acceptance. Totally NOT TRUE. I am thrilled to be accepted to medical school and can't wait to start. My God, you should have seen all the nasty comments on my mdapplicants profile. I deleted them, of course. This kind of stuff is exactly why, despite being a member here for almost 2 years, I rarely post in this forum. Some people here get all worked up over nothing. They are quick to jump to conclusions and crucify someone for no reason.

First, congratulations on your acceptance.

I think lately there has been a lot of tension on this forum. Mostly because folks are anxious about their future. Nevertheless, congratulations dude you're gonna be a doctor.

Sorry about misunderstanding your timeline and the conclusions that I jumped to. Every once in awhile I make a mistake by getting ahead of myself. This will just be a lession I chalk up to listening more closely and being more open to learning. I sometimes get a little guarded when I read the pre-allo board and it tends to get me thinking of the worst. This situation will serve to reminded me to shift from that mindset before I post.

I wish you all the best, and congratulations once again. :)

congrats on your acceptance! Did that person give you a reason when you confronted him/her why the bad LOR? Like someone mentioned, it seems so spiteful to do that to a student.

congrats on your acceptance! Did that person give you a reason when you confronted him/her why the bad LOR? Like someone mentioned, it seems so spiteful to do that to a student.

The person wouldn't give me a straight answer one way or another.

called it.:cool:
Seriously though, I think it is underestimated how damaging a negative LOR can be...adcomms EXPECT LOR's to be extremely flattering, so when one isn't, it is definately a red flag.

Um, look at post #2. I called it ;)

Ok yea no one cares who called it. Congrats OP!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Just FYI, it was a bad LOR. I confronted the person who I suspected, and they dodged the question... four times. Anyway, my advice to everyone reading this would be to make sure your LOR's are good. When asking, say "Would you be willing to write a GOOD LOR for me?" If they hesitate, just walk away. My one acceptance came from a school that did NOT get that particular LOR, further confirming my suspicions.

Firstly, Congrats on the acceptance. Glad it came just at a time when you were wondering if you would have to reapply.

Secondly, I would like to emphasize the importance of what you said about LORs to all future applicants.

I was given a powerpoint presentation on obtaining LORs and what the Dos and Don'ts of a personal statement are by the adcom members of USF COM here in Fl.

One of the biggest points they always make is to tmake sure the LOR writer will write you a strong letter. Ask this person if they are willing to write you a strong letter. Also find out from peers who might be known for writing strong letters and then ask those professors if you've had them as a professor and did well in their class.

Thirdly, OP I think the LOR coupled with some lack of service hours might have been why you didn't get more acceptances but congrats on getting the acceptance and sorry I hope i didn't offend you. Let me restate that, I apologize as when I read spicederma's post and went back to mdapps I did not realize your thread was posted one day and the acceptance given on another. So I want to give my sincere apology for jumping on you as I was totally confused by your post on one hand and the acceptance being listed in mdapps.

Congratulation and good luck with your future. I'm sure SLU is a great school.

Thirdly, OP I think the LOR coupled with some lack of service hours might have been why you didn't get more acceptances but congrats on getting the acceptance and sorry I hope i didn't offend you.

Agreed.

Congratulations on your acceptance but I would like to add a note of caution for those reading this thread not to write everything that happened during the OP's application process off to one bad LOR---not to downplay how damaging that could be--only to say that many factors are involved in school's considerations of applicants.

And--I also wonder who would agree to write an applicant a LOR and then write negative things. What was this person's response when you original asked them to be a recommender? Did they seem positive or just lukewarm? It seems like a nasty thing to do....