What's the diffence between palsy and paralysis?

cat98

Monkey King
10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2007
  1. Resident [Any Field]
    Is there anyone who would explain to me the diffence between palsy and paralysis? I'm not a native English speaker, and I find it really difficult to use
    these two words properly.:confused:
    Thanks in advance!

resxn

10+ Year Member
    Oct 2, 2006
    1. Attending Physician
      Is there anyone who would explain to me the diffence between palsy and paralysis? I'm not a native English speaker, and I find it really difficult to use
      these two words properly.:confused:
      Thanks in advance!

Palsy is a partial paralysis when used in the terms to which I believe you're referring.

For example, if someone has a Facial Nerve palsy, they have partial function of the nerve--that could be 1% or 99%; but if they have a paralysis there is no discernable function--100% out.

About the Ads

cat98

Monkey King
      10+ Year Member
      Feb 5, 2007
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        wow, I am more confused while a new member of its kind "paresis" comes. Thank you Blake, but is there anyone else who would give more explanation on these three words?

resxn

10+ Year Member
        Oct 2, 2006
        1. Attending Physician
          paresis means partial paralysis as well. In fact, it's more correct to say paresis than palsy, because palsy can mean more than one thing. For example, in the term Cerebral Palsy.

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.