What's the difference between a Physical Therapist I vs a Physical Therapist II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mac_kin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see job postings all the time, some say PT I and some say PT II. I'm assuming it has something to do with levels/work experience.

Can anyone clarify for me please? Are new grads Physical Therapist I? How do you progress to II?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've never seen that before and I've been looking. Did you see that more than once?

You're looking at college grade levels for experience/duties: I, II, III; usually seen in descriptions on the jobs search page. This is done in most all non-professorial positions (they have their own grades). The higher the grade the more advanced the job, higher pay; and therefore, the greater experience needed.

Here's an example, UCLA Medical jobs pages:

https://jobs2.mednet.ucla.edu/css_external/CSSPage_SearchAndBrowseJobs.ASP?T=20100114155404&

In PT, this usually means the level PT you are in that facility. I think many times, you have to finish a certain amount of rotations or take a test to get to the next level. This is done in a lot of the larger hospitals.