Whats the difference between MD and DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anotsu Kagehisa

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What exactly is the difference between an MD and a DO? Are they both called doctors? Which has a higher salary?

Members don't see this ad.

Anotsu Kagehisa said:
What exactly is the difference between an MD and a DO? Are they both called doctors? Which has a higher salary?

An engineer.

Members don't see this ad :)
people say..there are no dumb questions... oh yes there are...

Anotsu Kagehisa said:

Not much difference (look at AACOM web for definition of DO). DOs are licensed physicians; therefore, are doctors. They get same pay if they hold same position as MD.

Anotsu Kagehisa said:

1. None, but DO's learn OMM in med school.

2. It's the same, since they have the same jobs.

Anotsu Kagehisa said:

I had the same exact questions, when I started my undergrad. Luckily, I was able to figure out some of the answers.

1) There is a big difference between MD and DO. MD stands for Doctor of Medicine, where as DO stands for Dumb Others.

2) MDs have unlimited practice rights in USA. Where as DOs can only practice in Amish country (in PA, OH etc.). DOs also have limited practice privileges at the south of the border.

3) MDs go to very well established universities for their degree. Unfortunately for DO, they have no such place. These so called well established, reputed universities rent out some office space at night to DO schools. So DOs go to school at night, in such rented closet space.

4) To get an MD, you have to study 4 years after undergrad and then do 3-8 years of residency. Where as for DOs, it takes a lot shorter. You only need 1 month of classroom training and then 1 month of training in your local school district, with school nurse. School nurse would be your mentor, advisor, counselor, guide, to help you successfully complete your rigorous DO training.

5) MDs can treat any major mental and physical ailment and illness. Where as DOs can only treat Cold, Cough, Fever and Sinuses. DOs are only allowed to prescribe Tylenol, Aspirin, other cough suppressants.

6) MDs can perform surgeries on real people. Where as DOs are allowed to perform surgeries on entire Mattel product line.

7) As DOs, you are required to wear GPS tracking device on your wrist, so that your local enforcement authority can track you. MDs don't have to do this.

8) MDs can make $75-$500/hour, where are DOs typically make $5.50-$10/hour.

9) MDs are not allowed to work at local Taco-Bell or Burger King, where as DOs can special consideration when they apply for the job at above places.

10) In this age of political correctness, DO degree was started out as a consolation price for all the losers who couldn't become MDs.

Hope this helps. Feel free to post any more questions. Like they say, there are no dumb questions.

Doc2B-Finally said:
I had the same exact questions, when I started my undergrad. Luckily, I was able to figure out some of the answers.

1) There is a big difference between MD and DO. MD stands for Doctor of Medicine, where as DO stands for Dumb Others.

2) MDs have unlimited practice rights in USA. Where as DOs can only practice in Amish country (in PA, OH etc.). DOs also have limited practice privileges at the south of the border.

3) MDs go to very well established universities for their degree. Unfortunately for DO, they have no such place. These so called well established, reputed universities rent out some office space at night to DO schools. So DOs go to school at night, in such rented closet space.

4) To get an MD, you have to study 4 years after undergrad and then do 3-8 years of residency. Where as for DOs, it takes a lot shorter. You only need 1 month of classroom training and then 1 month of training in your local school district, with school nurse. School nurse would be your mentor, advisor, counselor, guide, to help you successfully complete your rigorous DO training.

5) MDs can treat any major mental and physical ailment and illness. Where as DOs can only treat Cold, Cough, Fever and Sinuses. DOs are only allowed to prescribe Tylenol, Aspirin, other cough suppressants.

6) MDs can perform surgeries on real people. Where as DOs are allowed to perform surgeries on entire Mattel product line.

7) As DOs, you are required to wear GPS tracking device on your wrist, so that your local enforcement authority can track you. MDs don't have to do this.

9) MDs are not allowed to work at local Taco-Bell or Burger King, where as DOs can special consideration when they apply for the job at above places.

10) In this age of political correctness, DO degree was started out as a consolation price for all the losers who couldn't become MDs.

Hope this helps. Feel free to post any more questions. Like they say, there are no dumb questions.

Smart A$$. YOu put a lot of time into this didn't you.

We as Ost. Med. Students, need to develop some more professionalism when dealing with these repetitively anoying questions. SDN is prob the best mean of spreading the word about DOs.

To Original poster... do a search on this. There is a search function at the bottom of every page on SDN. Or go to google and do a search "DO and MD differences SDN" etc...

BTW... Many ask how much money... this question is so misleading. Do not pick a prof based on the pay. You will have to put upto 10 extra years of studying before you see any significant money.

Nice thread guys! :D

To Anotsu Kagehisa : here... I made life easy for you... next time a question arises, simply follow this magic link

This link is your key from getting smashed by angry SDNers :laugh:

Doc2B-Finally said:

You have way too much free time, may want to look into a hobby.

@ OP: A book called "The DOs" by Gevitz may help you answer your own question. Do a little work on the internet and reading and you will find the answer for yourself which will be much more valuable when you start writing essays on applications. Good luck

Nate said:
You have way too much free time, may want to look into a hobby.

@ OP: A book called "The DOs" by Gevitz may help you answer your own question. Do a little work on the internet and reading and you will find the answer for yourself which will be much more valuable when you start writing essays on applications. Good luck

You are right guys. I agree, I should have been little easy on him.
However, this post was meant to encourage all those newbies to spend some time and do some research on their own. I personally don't believe in spoonfeeding, and by responding to such questions, which are already answered over and over again, we perpetuate such mentality. Just my $0.02.

:) Everyone's just messing with you, but to answer your question. There is no difference between a DO and MD per say. Yea, each has different philosophy and a DO is trained in OMM but as a whole there is no difference. Good Luck with your endeavor to become a physician and for future reference research before asking questions that can be answered with a quick search on google. :)

USArmyDoc said:
There is no difference between a DO and MD per say. Yea, each has different philosophy and a DO is trained in OMM but as a whole there is no difference.

Doesn't having a completely different philosophy qualify as having at least some difference? Obviously not in pay rate or licensure, but as far as intangibles go.

Doc2B-Finally said:
You are right guys. I agree, I should have been little easy on him.
However, this post was meant to encourage all those newbies to spend some time and do some research on their own. I personally don't believe in spoonfeeding, and by responding to such questions, which are already answered over and over again, we perpetuate such mentality. Just my $0.02.
What leads you to believe other newbies will even see this thread?