What's the format of science exams at your undergrad institution?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What's the format of science exams at your undergrad school?

• All multiple choice

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • All short answer

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • More multiple choice, fewer short answers

Votes: 27 32.5%
  • More short answers, fewer multiple choice

Votes: 25 30.1%
  • Equal amount of each

Votes: 12 14.5%

• Total voters

yankee4life

yankee4life
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious ;)

Members don't see this ad.

It was definitely mixed:

bio/biochem/physiology/anatomy: multiple choice
chem: multiple choice
orgo: crazy drawing and electrons flying around
pchem: some abstract philosophical analysis of quantum physics
physics calc based: multiple choice (but insanely difficult)
calc: chaos

Each have been mc, short answer and problem solving. I've had both physics, genetics, Chem 1, orgo 1, bio

Members don't see this ad :)
Usually MC

The worst was physiology with MC that were "choose the most incorrect answer" :-(

Blame it on the a-a-a-autocorrect.

It was definitely mixed:

bio/biochem/physiology/anatomy: multiple choice
chem: multiple choice
orgo: crazy drawing and electrons flying around
pchem: some abstract philosophical analysis of quantum physics
physics calc based: multiple choice (but insanely difficult)
calc: chaos

Exactly, lol. However, my ochem also had drawings of dinosaurs. :p

All my science exams have been multiple choice. The only written exams I've had in college were for humanities courses.

EDIT: I lied. Physics had a short answer section!

Last edited:
Depends course to course. Hell, it even depends instructor to instructor. A lot of bio classes had exams that were both MC and short answer. Most chemistry and physics exams were short answer. I don't think I had many, if any, all MC exams throughout college in science classes.

All my science exams have been multiple choice. The only written exams I've had in college were for humanities courses.

EDIT: I lied. Physics had a short answer section!

Man, I wish I were that lucky lol

Bio - multiple choice with some short answer
Chem - short answer/calculations/mechanisms (no multiple choice)
Physics - short/long answer/calculations/derivations (a couple multiple choice in intro Physics)
Math - all short/long answer (no multiple choice)

WAIT WHAT ? I've only had one MC exam in all of college, and that was psych ... Wow, some schools I swear.

WAIT WHAT ? I've only had one MC exam in all of college, and that was psych ... Wow, some schools I swear.

Is your school small? My lectures are huge and short answer would take forever to grade.

Blame it on the a-a-a-autocorrect.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gen Bio: MCQ, (I and II)
Gen Chem: MCQ (I and II)
Gen Phy (I and II): mixed
OChem (I and II): usually 10 mcq the rest short answers
Cell Bio: MCQ
Anatomy: MCQ and Short answers (midterm) MCQ final
Animal Physio: MCQ
Calc: All problem solving questions
Ecology: MCQ and short answers
Evo Bio: MCQ
Animal Physio lab: Short answers

Usually multiple choice unless the professor is an ******* that likes to "surprise" everyone. :mad:

Mine have been about equal parts MC and short answer. In my A&P course, it was actually more short answer than anything. Especially when going through the endocrine system, we had to explain what our diagnosis would be when presented with a certain set of symptoms. Fun course, but it took up a lot of my time studying for those exams. Chem was mostly calculations.

I have no idea how multiple choice-only orgo exams are even possible, as I have seen other people say they have. How do you do serious synthesis or mechanism questions with multiple choice?

Mostly multiple choice. There have been a few short answer sections, though. To be honest, multiple choice is the best type of test because the answer is already in front of you. However, this can be negated when the questions have 5 choices and say "Choose the most correct answer". 2-3 can be considered the right answers, so it's basically Russian roulette at that point.

Biological Sciences are typically objective and may also include matching items. Physical Sciences will have the following, but include subjective questions like solving equations and general problem solving. Mathematics is usually 50-100 objective problems.

Mostly short answer, occasionally the first third of a biochem/chem/bio test would be multiple choice. Occasional professor goes full multiple/full essay/short answer.

Varies so much per class though, not sure the results really indicate what you want them to indicate.

The only courses at my undergrad that ever had multiple choice were Psych, though I don't know about the humanities. I used to take Psych courses just for the easier exams to even out my schedule! But even there, once you got beyond 200-level courses they were all short answer.

Mostly multiple choice, orgo and cell biology were open ended + multiple choice

Physics has been the only one without multiple choice (...and I hate it).