What's the hardest class you've taken?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bozz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Calc 2 by far. I really don't know why.

For some reason, the higher level multivariable/stats classes I've taken were way easier :/

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hardest class conceptually- Intro to Euclidean and non euclidiean geomety :hungover:

Hardest class because it did not interest me- Microeconomics :barf:

Biochem. Lots of enzyme mechanisms to memorize. One of the harshest graders ever. In the end, I loved it. I'm a bit of an academic masochist.

I uh, am taking that professor's enzyme mechanisms class this coming semester, too. I don't make good life decisions, apparently.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fluid mechanics. Made my brain go :boom:

Honestly, and I am so ashamed of this, but it was "Ethics and Health Care." But please let me justify it by saying that it was not because of the subject matter but because of my professor and his inane way of "evaluating" us. We had two assignments for the whole class: a multiple choice mid-term and a multiple choice final. Class participation did not count as a grade and there were no papers. Ethics just doesn't work in a multiple choice format. I studied as hard as I could and still ended up with a B. There was only 1 person in the class who got an A.

Well, the only class I got a C in was Anatomy. But thats mostly because the class was horribly taught. The teacher came in with transparencies she had made at least 6 years ago (I had someones notes from 2002 that had been circulating via email for years, still the same as her transparencies, typos and all). She then read the transparencies word for word, switched to the next one, and continued reading. Thats it. Lab consisted of cat dissection and crappy old histology slides. Tests, especially lab practicals, weren't very much fun at all. Near the end of the class I was pulling low As on the tests after getting used to her style, but it didn't make up for my Ds from the beginning enough. I swear, I probably had 78 or 79 percent in the end , but 80 was the threshold for the B.

My least favorite class was second semester general bio, mostly because it was nothing but memorizing taxonomic divisions and what distinguishes the different phyla of plants/arthropods/whatever. The first week of class we went over general principals of evolution, and that was the only week in the class I think I learned *anything* that is still in my head. I did the math, and realized I could get a B with no effort considering how he "curved" the class, and also realized I'd rather take that B than put forth the effort to memorize that much useless !@#$. I had a 75% at the end of the semester, and the professor set the B threshold at 75%.

Pathology - Understanding Disease. Undergrad course taught by a series of hospital pathologists, including chief of pathology. Awesome course, but the exams were difficult because there was all sorts of stuff that we had not covered/would never have known (ie. patient cases)

Introduction to Mathematical Thinking
(300-level course taken in high school)

Statistics. It was based on multivariable calc, which I had never taken. What a bad idea...

Members don't see this ad :)
The most difficult to get an A in was Eng 102 at the CC, only because the professor insisted that freshmen were incapable of earning A's.

The most difficult for me to do was physics, because I took that before I took trig.

I did wind up with A's in both of those classes, probably because I refused to be defeated. :laugh:

I've also been known to take a B, just because the effort to bridge the gap between that and an A wasn't worth the gain to me.

My hardest class was probably Cellular Physiology or maybe even Virology. It's definitely one of the 2.

Genetics was my hardest class. Hours spent in the lab, hours spent doing homework assignments, and the second hardest tests I've had to take (Anatomy and Physiology was the worst, that prof was just mean). It was brutal.

organic 1 was my hardest class because the prof was known for being a very difficult grader. He wrote exams that tested that tested very specific things. You had to hang on his every word in lecture because you knew that anything very specifc (or not in the book) would be on the test. Luckily, he felt bad that the class average was a 60 on the first test and curved the class so that I got a comfortable A but I have not even come close in another class to the amount of effort I spent in that class taking and rereading notes and doing practice problems.

Unfortunately, it's not a valid excuse to blame poor grades on poor teaching. Teaching ended after high school. In college, professors are hired for research, and lecture classes in order to fulfill their duty to the school. After high school, you are supposed to have learned how to teach yourself by then, which is what college is supposed to be like. You teach yourself, with the benefit of having a lecturer (in most cases, PhD) who is an expert in the field...hence most professors will have a graduate degree in the field, vs. just a bachelors/certificate required for teaching in high school and below. Office hours come into much greater importance in college, since the professors are now a resource to be used to clarify on things you couldn't understand yourself vs. someone who teaches, but not an expert in the field where you can come for more complicated issues (like in hs). They're not supposed to teach, but rather just guide, but if you have issues, office hours is where they'll 'teach' you how to see things in a brighter light.

That's why people are always throwing around "bad teachers, i got a poor grade, only one person got an A, blah blah blah". That sounded completely normal to me not too long ago, but then 2 of my professors from different universities told me of that awful truth. They're there for their research...then they may even get tenured, which in a lot of cases is worse, since they don't have to worry about getting any smack for their teaching abilities; this is why visiting professors are usually better at teaching. They're there to teach and depend on those surveys you fill out at the end of the course to remain teaching there. The university professors, however, aren't affected much by those surveys and their research is held to a higher degree.

Don't be surprised when you get to med school and see the same. I've heard some from friends at UPenn and Jefferson. Great scientist might not be the best teacher...although once you get a great professor who is great at teaching as well as being a scientist...then you'll appreciate the true value of an awesome professor.

Difficult grading is a different story, which is not what I'm poking at. I'm poking at those people who complain about how a professor 'teaches' their class which results in a poor grade.

Directing when I was a theatre major. The prof was the head of the department and a very temperamental pregnant woman at the time. She played favorites hardcore and I got, by far, the worse grade I've ever gotten in a class. Ugh.

Engineering Thermodynamics and Discrete Math were the hardest for me. I think this was mostly due to poor professors so I'm sure others might have had a different experience with these.

Honors Social Science: It was basically a logic and philosophy of science...and I am not too fond of the social scientist... being more of a humanist myself, and I could not get through the horrible reading... Hume and Kuhn... I got a B because it was an honors class and a B was the lowest grade one could get unless you did not turn in the paper. Needless to say, I am never taking a class on that subject again...

Probably gonna be the genetics class I'm taking next semester. The guy teaching it is also the head of the pre-med committee and he is pretty hardcore. Hopefully I can make a good impression the first couple of weeks so when it comes to getting that good committee letter.

Grade-wise:I had an english class where the professor didn't belive in giving A's, but the plus size was the entire class either got an A- or B+.

Probably Phy II since I hadn't taken the prerequisite Calc II. That one hurt...:(

Either Advanced Metabolism or History of Africa. The former because we had boatloads of material to learn (it was offered by the college of medicine) and the latter because the teacher was totally incompetent and was not able to explain her standards of grading/provide useful class materials.

I loved Advanced Metabolism; History of Africa left something to be desired.

MS1 Biochem. Not that the material was hard per se, there were just sooooo many details and so little time ... Guess that kinda sums up all of med school though eh?

PHYS 1 and 2, but thats probably my fault. I took them over the summer, one after the other :eek:.

Underwater basket weaving.

:hungover:

Not counting the ones where I always wanted to smack someone?

My first year seminar class. Hated everything.

Zoology by far. It was so boring.

MS1 Biochem. Not that the material was hard per se, there were just sooooo many details and so little time ... Guess that kinda sums up all of med school though eh?

That doesn't really count. That is a medical school course, not an undergraduate course.

Probably gonna be the genetics class I'm taking next semester. The guy teaching it is also the head of the pre-med committee and he is pretty hardcore. Hopefully I can make a good impression the first couple of weeks so when it comes to getting that good committee letter.

Ejay,

If you need any help with your genetics course, just pm me. I work with the genetic literature for 8 hours a day for my day job. It isn't complicated stuff.

Quantum Mechanics... hands... down

Honestly, Introductory bio.

You could know EVERYTHING about the subject being tested, and still fail.
All the questions were free-response, and HORRIBLY vague.

Q: What effect does ADH have on the collecting ducts?
A: "Increases water reabsorbtion and results in more concentrated urine"
WRONG! -5 points for not talking about the hypothalamus, -2 points for not mentioning that it's also called vasopressin.

3/10 for you. You fail.

I went from a 2.8 that quarter to a 3.7 in physio the next, with NO change in effort or study level. :mad:

PHYS 1 and 2, but thats probably my fault. I took them over the summer, one after the other :eek:.

Same for me, and over the summer too. Except that I took both of them without having any algebra other than Algebra 1 back in HS 7 years prior, and I had never seen trigonometry in my life. Probably not the best choice I've ever made.

Unfortunately, it's not a valid excuse to blame poor grades on poor teaching. Teaching ended after high school. In college, professors are hired for research, and lecture classes in order to fulfill their duty to the school. After high school, you are supposed to have learned how to teach yourself by then, which is what college is supposed to be like. You teach yourself, with the benefit of having a lecturer (in most cases, PhD) who is an expert in the field...hence most professors will have a graduate degree in the field, vs. just a bachelors/certificate required for teaching in high school and below. Office hours come into much greater importance in college, since the professors are now a resource to be used to clarify on things you couldn't understand yourself vs. someone who teaches, but not an expert in the field where you can come for more complicated issues (like in hs). They're not supposed to teach, but rather just guide, but if you have issues, office hours is where they'll 'teach' you how to see things in a brighter light.

That's why people are always throwing around "bad teachers, i got a poor grade, only one person got an A, blah blah blah". That sounded completely normal to me not too long ago, but then 2 of my professors from different universities told me of that awful truth. They're there for their research...then they may even get tenured, which in a lot of cases is worse, since they don't have to worry about getting any smack for their teaching abilities; this is why visiting professors are usually better at teaching. They're there to teach and depend on those surveys you fill out at the end of the course to remain teaching there. The university professors, however, aren't affected much by those surveys and their research is held to a higher degree.

While many professors are hired for research and must produce results/grant money in order to keep their jobs or get promoted they still have a responsibility to teach you...
Just because professors want to focus exclusively on research doesn't mean they don't still have a responsibility to teach... what would be the point of having lecture at all...you could just buy a book and read it yourself, why have grades, why go to college?
There are good and bad professors and the best ones are the ones that can balance all aspects of their jobs including teaching and research...

It also depends on the school you go to...if you do not go to a top research school this theory doesn't hold at all. Yes, science professors will do research but they are much more interested in students and their jobs do very much depend on how they teach and the surveys that are filled out at the end of a course.

Membrane Biophysics by a land slide.

Honestly, Introductory bio.

You could know EVERYTHING about the subject being tested, and still fail.
All the questions were free-response, and HORRIBLY vague.

Q: What effect does ADH have on the collecting ducts?
A: "Increases water reabsorbtion and results in more concentrated urine"
WRONG! -5 points for not talking about the hypothalamus, -2 points for not mentioning that it's also called vasopressin.

3/10 for you. You fail.

I went from a 2.8 that quarter to a 3.7 in physio the next, with NO change in effort or study level. :mad:

Ooh. My introductory bio class was like that. I know what you mean. I did all right in introductory bio in the end, but I definitely had my fair share of weird questions like that...

physical chemistry I (thermodynamics)... I hated this class. I had just transferred to the school and the teacher insisted that no textbook was sufficient. Therefore we had no book, and all of the differential equations was difficult for me as well. I ended up with a very generous B. I'll take it.

P-Chem II (quantum mechanics & spectroscopy)

My teacher for that class was new at my school and while he tried his hardest to teach, most of us had no clue wtf he was talking about in lecture. So many Greek symbols on the board = fail.

My percent in the class was like 72% lol. Most everyone else got like 50-60%. Class started with 15 students then dropped down to 4 when we got near finals week.

With the massive curve, I ended up with an A-, but seriously it was like the most stressful class I've ever taken.

3d Design.....ick, i had to make a perfect replica of a stiletto heel out of posterboard..including the texture....needless to say I ended up getting a B in the class.

Biochem by far. It was definitely the most fun, and I learned the most from it.

fluid mechanics was far and away the hardest thing I have ever done.

Sex Ed.

that class was hard

if you catch my drift

fluid mechanics was far and away the hardest thing I have ever done.

okay yeah fluids was pretty difficult. Although linear circuits was pretty darn difficult as well and is only just a bit ahead of systems analysis. Pretty anything that involves transforming things from one domain to another and then ask you to analize stability.