What's the highest K+ you've seen?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waterski232002

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a guy in DKA today with a glucose of 871, pH of 6.95, Bicarb 3, AG 42, Lactate 7.8, and a K+ of 8.8 (he was in V-Tach)...

What's the highest K+ you've seen a patient have and survive?

Members don't see this ad.

9.7... lady had ca.. apparently she had a bump in her K 2ndary to bactrim interacting with one of her other meds. Lucky for her and us we had one of our tox guys..

The story is a great one.. we got a call for a lady with a K of 9.7 from the cancer center. they ask our attending Do you want a repeat K or EKG? he says no send her over. She is A&Ox3 a nurse helps her into a gown and into her bed, she tells the nurse " im not feeling well" then codes.. we were just about to start our morning teaching. full court press in the room.. we worked on her for like 20 mins.. we brought in the husband (thinking she would die). eventually we got her K to about 5.5 shes intubated prognosis guarded. Up to the ICU.. 2-3 days later she leaves the hospital.. Truly great!

here is one of the articles related to bactrim and hyperK... Frankly I didnt know that much about this...

Title Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole therapy in outpatients: is hyperkalemia a significant problem?.

Source American Journal of Nephrology. 19(3):389-94, 1999.

Abstract A prospective, randomized clinical study was undertaken to determine the effect of standard-dose trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole combination treatment on serum potassium concentrations in outpatients treated in an ambulatory clinic. Ninety-seven patients were treated with oral antibiotics for a variety of infections. Fifty-one patients treated with trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (trimethoprim, 320 mg/day; sulfamethoxazole, 1,600 mg/day) constituted the treatment group, while 46 patients treated with other antibiotics served as controls. Serum potassium, sodium, and chloride concentrations, serum carbon dioxide content, blood urea nitrogen level, serum creatinine level, and serum glucose concentration were measured. The baseline serum potassium concentration in the treatment group was 4.30 +/- (SD) 0.36 mmol/l, and it increased significantly (p < 0.001) to 4.66 +/- 0.45 mmol/l on day 5 of therapy. Subgroup analysis of mean serum potassium concentration on day 5 of therapy failed to detect clinically relevant hyperkalemia. In patients with a serum creatinine level equal to or greater than 1.1 mg/dl (K+, 4.83 +/- 0.48 mmol/l), a nonsignificant difference (p = 0.3) in the potassium concentration was noted on day 5 as compared with patients with a serum creatinine level <1.1 mg/dl (K+, 4.63 +/- 0.44 mmol/l). Although diabetics had a higher serum potassium concentration (K+, 4.91 +/- 0.44 mmol/l) than nondiabetics (K+, 4.61 +/- 0.44 mmol/l), the difference was not statistically significant (p = 0.055). Patients aged >/=50 years (K+, 4.82 +/- 0.59 mmol/l) had a significantly different (p = 0.046) serum potassium concentration on day 5 than patients aged <50 years (K+, 4.55 +/- 0.28 mmol/l). In contrast, the baseline serum potassium concentration in the control group was 4.37 +/- 0.45 mmol/l, and it decreased (p = 0.1) to 4.22 +/- 0.4 mmol/l on 5 days of drug therapy. Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole therapy, when used to treat a variety of infections, leads to an increase in serum potassium concentration in most patients. After 5 days of therapy with this drug, the treatment group developed a statistically significant rise in the serum potassium concentration as compared with the control group. However, severe hyperkalemia (K+ >/=5.5 mmol/l) occurred in only 3 patients (6%) treated with trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole. In addition, none of the subgroups of treated patients developed clinically important hyperkalemia. This suggests that outpatients, in contrast to acquired immunodeficiency syndrome patients and hospitalized patients with mild renal insufficiency, develop severe or life-threatening hyperkalemia less commonly when treated with this antimicrobial regimen. However, outpatients having risk factors which may predispose to the development of hyperkalemia should be carefully monitored when treated with trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole.

Members don't see this ad :)
9.7... lady had ca.. apparently she had a bump in her K 2ndary to bactrim interacting with one of her other meds. Lucky for her and us we had one of our tox guys..

The story is a great one.. we got a call for a lady with a K of 9.7 from the cancer center. they ask our attending Do you want a repeat K or EKG? he says no send her over. She is A&Ox3 a nurse helps her into a gown and into her bed, she tells the nurse " im not feeling well" then codes.. we were just about to start our morning teaching. full court press in the room.. we worked on her for like 20 mins.. we brought in the husband (thinking she would die). eventually we got her K to about 5.5 shes intubated prognosis guarded. Up to the ICU.. 2-3 days later she leaves the hospital.. Truly great!

So she can die from cancer...

I would have taken the instant cardiac arrest.

mike

Arrived in perfusing VT, quickly became VF, then asystole. After several rounds of treatment, she regained a sinus tach, woke up, and died the next day in the unit.

Tumor lysis syndrome in the face of hepato-renal syndrome.

was she v-fib, asystole? if so, at what point in the resucitation did she get calcium chloride and insulin?

mike
Same here......the highest K+ I've ever seen was in a nurse who offed herself death row style with an massive injection of KCl and succinylcholine.

mike

from what i gather her CA wasnt in a bad spot... she was in another round of chemo but was doing well.. we all die eventually.

was she v-fib, asystole? if so, at what point in the resucitation did she get calcium chloride and insulin?

honestly it was a while ago.. i dont think she hit asystole.. she got the hyperK treatment asap...

Same here......the highest K+ I've ever seen was in a nurse who offed herself death row style with an massive injection of KCl and succinylcholine.

You'd think a nurse could've found a less miserable way to die...

You'd think a nurse could've found a less miserable way to die...
It would be quick compared to other methods (gas asphyxiation, slitting a major blood vessel, etc)......and sux and KCl are easy to obtain since they aren't keep under as strict of controls as say morphine or the benzos. I believe that is why she went with it as her choosen manner of self-execution.

Where's the thread with all the crazy lab values?

9.5... tumor lysis syndrome.

Coded and died.

mike

Apparently she was willing to take her chances with the cancer, otherwise, I suppose she would have been DNR.