Whats the highest paying job I can get in my gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fastfingers

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What might be the highest paying job I could get in my gap year? My major is in public health. I feel like a public health job is almost impossible to get without a masters, so I'm open to any other job options.

Members don't see this ad.

What might be the highest paying job I could get in my gap year? My major is in public health. I feel like a public health job is almost impossible to get without a masters, so I'm open to any other job options.

Movie star, though hedge fund manager might be a safer bet.

I-banking, Consulting, finance etc. i-banking and finance may be tough to get without a degree in an econ related field, but consulting wants people from all backgrounds. Probably start at 80-90k.

People wilth compsci degrees in california will probably start around 90-100k

Members don't see this ad :)
wouldn't hedge fund manager require a lot of work experience?

as for consultant, they're basically jobs that have like an initial month training right? and where might be the best place to find a consultant job?

wouldn't hedge fund manager require a lot of work experience?

as for consultant, they're basically jobs that have like an initial month training right? and where might be the best place to find a consultant job?

consulting can start from 50-100k depending on ur company and location. I'd go directly to the website of the company you want to find a gig in.

this depends on where you are, but you might want to look into ZS associates. my boyfriend is interviewing with them right now for a healthcare consulting position.. i feel like without a background in business your best bet would be to look for companies that focus on the healthcare industry.. so your major could be an asset! good luck!

lol i knew someone would say stripper.

how tough is it to get jobs like consultant and investment banker as an entry level.

how tough is it to get jobs like consultant and investment banker as an entry level.

banking is super hard...consulting isn't as bad, but still difficult. it helps if you went to a feeder school

I don't think the hours IB's work will be med school applicant friendly.

Also be aware that you may have to do some fibbing if you're trying to land a job like this. Not too many companies want to invest in and train an employee who will only be with them for ~14 months. If you are lucky enough to get an offer make sure you read the contract very carefully as leaving early may require you to pay back bonus money.

would these type of jobs also require extremely extensive training to the point where my first year would basically be like 14 hour workdays?

Members don't see this ad :)
Self-employed tutor or MCAT instructor.

would these type of jobs also require extremely extensive training to the point where my first year would basically be like 14 hour workdays?

A friend of mine that got a tracked job at an investment company does nothing but work. You could easily work 80+ hours a week. Consulting can be less demanding but depending on the company you work for and projects you are assigned to you may do a good bit of traveling.

i'm not sure if you're just looking for any job with a good salary, or one that's related to public health. but i also noticed that you started a thread about teaching during your gap year and thought i should mention that for my gap year, i've been working for a local public health-esque non-profit that does work in elementary schools. if you're willing to get paid a lower (but liveable) salary (like $12/hr), i found that non-profits are a little more willing to hire for just a year, and that there are a lot that are in line with public health issues

It rhymes with "rostitute."

That sounds so coarse...let's go with gigolo.

nuts11.jpg

if you take out 10-15k in loans and invest wisely in the stock market, within a year you can prolly pull over a hundred gur, and maybe even more
this is a flawless plan

Reactions: 1 user
:thumbup:, can sleep in late :laugh:

:thumbup:

Be like Jay-Z and be a coke dealer? Thats some guaranteed coin and work in the underserved areas. It would make for a heckuva a personal statement as well.

Crab fishing. Seasons are short and moneys good: ~ $70K to 100K per season if you aren't killed.

Another advantage of being a crack dealer. Bling and white coats = baller. All the ladies in med school will straight up be wanting you.

Another advantage of being a crack dealer. Bling and white coats = baller. All the ladies in med school will straight up be wanting you.

Everything you say is funny cause in my head I hear Seth Rogen's voice!

better have a hell of a resume if you want to do consulting. and you better go to a pretty well respected school. it's hard to get interviews unless you are on their "list" of schools that they recruit at.

Everything you say is funny cause in my head I hear Seth Rogen's voice!

Haha. Thanks. Despite bearing some sort of physical resemblance to him, I don't think I sound like him that much. If only, right?

Haha. Thanks. Despite bearing some sort of physical resemblance to him, I don't think I sound like him that much. If only, right?

Nah, you're better off without the voice. He's hilarious but he always sounds like he needs a dose of Mucinex.

RE Pyramid schemes
lol. I got into a few of those.

They never work out! Sound so good on day 1 though.:D

Actually they work great! ...If you're at the top. So the OP simply needs to start a new pyramid scheme....

It rhymes with "rostitute."
Beat me to it. You could also get in some infectious disease research while you're at it. Maybe squeeze a publication out of it if you play your cards right ;)

typically most pre-med related jobs during a gap year only pay 'bout tree fitty

Haha. Thanks. Despite bearing some sort of physical resemblance to him

You do look like him. When you followed me on twitter I immediately knew who you were on SDN.

EDIT: This was before you had the little bird here

<-------------------------------------

You do look like him. When you followed me on twitter I immediately knew who you were on SDN.

EDIT: This was before you had the little bird here

<-------------------------------------

Ha! That's awesome! Thats why I choose the avatar I did. I used Seth Rogen for celebrity doppelganger week.

Professional dog trainer. :) My friend makes 200k a year training dogs for the police or protection sport.. He breeds dog, train it, and sell it for 30-60k for each dog! He works an hour a day about 3 times a week..

http://prodogtraining.biz/index.html
:eek:

Private Tutoring can make you a fortune if you're good enough.

Professional dog trainer. :) My friend makes 200k a year training dogs for the police or protection sport.. He breeds dog, train it, and sell it for 30-60k for each dog! He works an hour a day about 3 times a week..

http://prodogtraining.biz/index.html
:eek:

so all i have to do is train my dog for an hour a day for 3 days per week? and he will be like a police dog?

so all i have to do is train my dog for an hour a day for 3 days per week? and he will be like a police dog?
LOL no.. he conducts training sessions 3 times a week for an hour each.. You generally don't wanna train your dog for an hour; it'll get bored quick.. you train them for 5-10min max for a couple of times a day.. also, it depends on the dog's genetic if it can be a police dog, usually Belgian Malinois are used. German Shepherds are just intimidating to look but don't bite as hard or run as fast and a mal.

In terms of landing a good job, only taking one year off will close a lot of doors. Look at it this way: someone has to invest time to train you, but all that training will be lost when you leave in a year, plus you're going to need a lot of time off to travel to interviews. Given your situation and the economy, don't expect too much. Good luck :luck:

Teach for America.
You basically get paid 40-50k to teach kids in underserved areas. They also give you 5k towards "loan forgiveness" or towards future loans and some schools like UCSD and Cornell give you a 25k scholarship if you get into their med school and did this program (the list of participating schools is on the website).

Teach for America.
You basically get paid 40-50k to teach kids in underserved areas. They also give you 5k towards "loan forgiveness" or towards future loans and some schools like UCSD and Cornell give you a 25k scholarship if you get into their med school and did this program (the list of participating schools is on the website).

Isn't TFA generally a 2-yr commitment?

private contractor (IE Xe). $10,000/mo.

Last edited: