What's the interview at Tufts like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mysteree

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, those of you who've interviewed at Tufts, could you tell me how the day went? I'm interviewing there soon, and they didn't send an agenda, so I'm curious how the day's planned. Also an input/advice about the interview itself would be greatly appreciated.

Another thing, I know there was a thread about comparing Boston Univ and Tufts.. I can't find it. So would you mind giving me your 2 cents comparing the two as far as
1)Faculty, and their outlook
2) School and their program
3) Student body, are they friendly/competitive/age breakdown if you know it

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Mysteree said:
Hi, those of you who've interviewed at Tufts, could you tell me how the day went? I'm interviewing there soon, and they didn't send an agenda, so I'm curious how the day's planned. Also an input/advice about the interview itself would be greatly appreciated.

Another thing, I know there was a thread about comparing Boston Univ and Tufts.. I can't find it. So would you mind giving me your 2 cents comparing the two as far as
1)Faculty, and their outlook
2) School and their program
3) Student body, are they friendly/competitive/age breakdown if you know it

Thanks

The day at Tufts went great for me, at least once I got inside the building. I interviewed there back in January and they day of the interview there was large snow storm. So plan on having extra time getting to and from school and airport, just in case.

Once we all arrived we went to the Dean's room, which felt a little like the Aprentice boardroom. There we met eachother and had a presentation about the school. First we were given stats on how many applied, how many interviewed, how many sports are available, etc. Also we were told about the Merit scholarship that the top applicants get automatically for the first year and then must be in the top 20% to keep getting the money (about 2-6 thousand).

Then we had the Director of Admissions. He asked us the important areas that we look for in finding an ideal dental school. So we began to bring up things like research, clinical exposure, etc. He made a list on the board and went through it all!!!! He was great and very informative. Tufts really send you a lot of school info before the interview and then during the interview they give you even more. For class dynamics to fun out of shcool activites to externships to specialties. He covered it all.

Somewhere in between you are pulled aside for the faculty interview and then during lunch you have a very informal inteview with a advanced 4th year student. It is all very non-stressed.

Finally you are given a tour of the dental school, labs, hospital, etc.

Don't stess about the interview it was one of the most stress-free interviews i've had. Plus they tell you that they end up accepting a lot of the students that they interview.

Good luck.

When I interviewed there, we were pulled out DURING lunch to go to our interview. Most people were done eating by the time interviews started, but if I were to have been a pig like I usually am, I would have still been chowing down when my interviewer found me. Just a word of warning if you like to eat like me. :D

The presentation / QA session is pretty long. You might want to grab some coffee if you aren't used to waking up early. I saw another interviewee nodding off during this part and he sat right up front where the Director of Admissions was speaking (this must NOT have looked very good). :sleep:

Members don't see this ad :)
howui3-Thanks for the information. You said that Tufts sent you a lot of information prior to the interview? I received a packet, which included the official interview letter, a list of the pre reqs, a list of hotels/restaurants/transportation, and a Tufts Dental for their class of 2005. It's basically a yearbook of that class, including their background. Did you receive something in addition to this? How long was the faculty interview, and was it a more casual one, or did they ask the typical questions? Oh, and what time was it all over?

Tinman-you do like your food, don't you? :D I guess this means I better eat fast, which is very unlike me. Nope, I don't think I like to eat just like you :)

I will keep the QA session advice in mind, and get some caffeine in me before I get there. What time do we have to be there by 8:30 right? That's not too bad. You're right, nodding off in the front row, that's bold! :eek:

tinman831 said:
When I interviewed there, we were pulled out DURING lunch to go to our interview. Most people were done eating by the time interviews started, but if I were to have been a pig like I usually am, I would have still been chowing down when my interviewer found me. Just a word of warning if you like to eat like me. :D

The presentation / QA session is pretty long. You might want to grab some coffee if you aren't used to waking up early. I saw another interviewee nodding off during this part and he sat right up front where the Director of Admissions was speaking (this must NOT have looked very good). :sleep:

Mysteree said:
howui3-Thanks for the information. You said that Tufts sent you a lot of information prior to the interview? I received a packet, which included the official interview letter, a list of the pre reqs, a list of hotels/restaurants/transportation, and a Tufts Dental for their class of 2005. It's basically a yearbook of that class, including their background. Did you receive something in addition to this? How long was the faculty interview, and was it a more casual one, or did they ask the typical questions? Oh, and what time was it all over?

They sent most people a thick booklet that describes their program and curriculum. If you didn't get one in the mail, you can pick up one at the interview. They pretty much discuss EVERYTHING in this book (all 200 or so pages).

Some people have only a 4th year student interviewing them. Other people have a faculty + 4th year student. I only had a 4th year and it wasn't so bad. They have a list of questions that they run through. Don't freak out if the interview isn't so conversational. It really depends on the interviewer. Check out the interview feedback section, you'll find that most of the people were asked the same questions.

The interview was over around 2.30 for me. It depends on how fast you finish the presentation and tour. :)

I had a faculty member and one fourth year. Only one in my interview group to have the faculty member also present. Don't know if that was good or bad, but regardless I got accepted. Just relax. Try to find the dental building the night before to save some time. I def. agree with the Apprentice board room comment. :) Very nice room they had.

tinman831 said:

Don't worry, I think I dozed off there for a minute and I still got in. But that was seriously dull, get some coffee or soda in you before your interview. The talk after the interview was unbearable.

Hey Mysteree,
Don't worry at all about the interview at Tufts, it was really really relaxed. My interviewer went out of her way to make me comfortable, even brought me fruit! They grab you during lunch, so be prepared not to have a face full of food when they get you, thank goodness I behaved myself during lunch.

The only bad news is that, any further acceptances given at Tufts will only be for the waitlist- this was confirmed by the associate dean Mark Gonthier himself during the Q&A session. Good school, only thing is the hallways seemed so empty and the area around the school didn't have alot of people walking around during the day. It felt isolated, but if you walk a few streets away to Newbury street there are tons of shops and nice restaurants to check out before/after interview. I wouldn't advise going out alone at night though...I'm a guy, and I felt uncomfortable checking out places around the school at night.

That's all for now, I just got a Columbia interview invite! So thank goodness...I'll probably go check out NYU when I go for the interview.

IndDent said:
Hey Mysteree,
Don't worry at all about the interview at Tufts, it was really really relaxed. My interviewer went out of her way to make me comfortable, even brought me fruit! They grab you during lunch, so be prepared not to have a face full of food when they get you, thank goodness I behaved myself during lunch.

The only bad news is that, any further acceptances given at Tufts will only be for the waitlist- this was confirmed by the associate dean Mark Gonthier himself during the Q&A session. Good school, only thing is the hallways seemed so empty and the area around the school didn't have alot of people walking around during the day. It felt isolated, but if you walk a few streets away to Newbury street there are tons of shops and nice restaurants to check out before/after interview. I wouldn't advise going out alone at night though...I'm a guy, and I felt uncomfortable checking out places around the school at night.

That's all for now, I just got a Columbia interview invite! So thank goodness...I'll probably go check out NYU when I go for the interview.

yay! good luck :)

Hi IndDent,
They grabbed you mid lunch? That's nice :laugh: but thanks for the heads up. It's funny, anyother guy said the same thing, that it's a good thing that he was behaving himself during lunch.

Oh nooo, re:waitlist..that's brutal :scared: I might not be going if I'd known before hand that it was for the waitlist. That bites! How long ago did you interview? The hallways seemed empty, hmmm I'm surprised. It's not like they have a small class size. I shouldn't go out alone at night, that's not good news. I get there the night before my interview, I was planning to walk around and find the school before hand. Now, I'm second guessing that.

Congrats on your Columbia interview. Good luck! btw are you indian? I just looked at your tag line. Please do let me know what you think of NYU, when you get back, I'd like to hear your take on it.

IndDent said:
Hey Mysteree,

Mysteree,
Yeah, the hallways seemed empty for a reason...I forgot to mention that the first years were having their first block exams during my time there (interviewed on Feb 28th)...my bad, but still though there should have been plenty of upperclass people walking around. I felt that the only new thing about Tufts was their sim lab, and for $42k a year, there should be other updated stuff there. The class auditorium looked really oldschool...along with the operatories and hallways. Simlab was really nice and state of the art.

I don't want to ruin your impression, so go in with an open mind and heart, get a feel for the place, listen to your gut. Of the students I did see there, they seemed happy to be there. Yeah, check out the place around the school during the day. I stayed at the Milner Hotel ($59/night with a copy of your interview invite letter)...its pretty much like sleeping in a closet, but for that price its a steal.

And yes, of course I'm Indian, I wouldn't be anything else for the life of me! ;)

Thanks Amsie and to you too Mysteree for the well wishes! Maybe I'll run into yall at Columbia?
Take it easy,
IndDent

IndDent said:
Mysteree,
Yeah, the hallways seemed empty for a reason...I forgot to mention that the first years were having their first block exams during my time there (interviewed on Feb 28th)...my bad, but still though there should have been plenty of upperclass people walking around. I felt that the only new thing about Tufts was their sim lab, and for $42k a year, there should be other updated stuff there. The class auditorium looked really oldschool...along with the operatories and hallways. Simlab was really nice and state of the art.

I don't want to ruin your impression, so go in with an open mind and heart, get a feel for the place, listen to your gut. Of the students I did see there, they seemed happy to be there. Yeah, check out the place around the school during the day. I stayed at the Milner Hotel ($59/night with a copy of your interview invite letter)...its pretty much like sleeping in a closet, but for that price its a steal.

And yes, of course I'm Indian, I wouldn't be anything else for the life of me! ;)

Thanks Amsie and to you too Mysteree for the well wishes! Maybe I'll run into yall at Columbia?
Take it easy,
IndDent

why is your private messaging non-existant?! :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
I had my interview at Tufts in January and the interview was very much laid back. I had my interview with a fourth year dental student. Just relax and be yourself! Good luck!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Overall GPA: 3.80
DATs: 1st(21/21/17)
2nd(21/22/21)

Hey, IndDent,
Thanks for the info. Incidentally, I'll be at Milner as well, it's the size of a closet?! :mad: How do I get to dental school from there..and how'd you get to and from the airport?

IndDent said:
Mysteree,

Take it easy,
IndDent

Sorry Amsie! forgive me, I just turned on private messaging.

Mysteree,
The milner is an ok place to stay, it gets the job done, but as far as luxury...don't expect much. It's a good place because its righta around the corner from Tufts, not only that, they have a Train station right next door as well. I used the Boston T to get to and fro. Basically, take airport shuttle #33 or #22 after you get off the plane. From there, take that shuttle to the T station...it will be the first stop I believe. $1.25 to buy a e-ticket for the train, take the orange line train to State Street. Hop off, and then get on the Blue line Train to New England Medical Center. Maps are all over the place, so its easy, even for a buddhu like me to figure things out! Be careful with the Train system though, find another lady to stand next to, just be aware of your surroundings.
Once you get to the New England Medical Center, exit the station on to Tremont Street. Once you get to street level, cross the street and come to Charles St., make a right and you'll see a huge Milner Hotel sign on the side of a building.

As for getting to tufts, I don't quite remember, but ask the front desk lady, they are really really helpful.

Wish you the best, take it easy and just relax,
Wear a sari to the interview...damn, that'll be some brownie points!
IndDent

IndDent said:
Sorry Amsie! forgive me, I just turned on private messaging.

Mysteree,
The milner is an ok place to stay, it gets the job done, but as far as luxury...don't expect much. It's a good place because its righta around the corner from Tufts, not only that, they have a Train station right next door as well. I used the Boston T to get to and fro. Basically, take airport shuttle #33 or #22 after you get off the plane. From there, take that shuttle to the T station...it will be the first stop I believe. $1.25 to buy a e-ticket for the train, take the orange line train to State Street. Hop off, and then get on the Blue line Train to New England Medical Center. Maps are all over the place, so its easy, even for a buddhu like me to figure things out! Be careful with the Train system though, find another lady to stand next to, just be aware of your surroundings.
Once you get to the New England Medical Center, exit the station on to Tremont Street. Once you get to street level, cross the street and come to Charles St., make a right and you'll see a huge Milner Hotel sign on the side of a building.

As for getting to tufts, I don't quite remember, but ask the front desk lady, they are really really helpful.

Wish you the best, take it easy and just relax,
Wear a sari to the interview...damn, that'll be some brownie points!
IndDent

mysteree:you could also stay at the tremont hotel, which is across the street from the hospital.but i think its like 3948309483/night. :annoyed:

Amsie, yeah, I think I'll pass on Tremont hotel :)

Hi IndDent,
Thanks for the detailed directions, good memory :) You know you're really starting to scare me with all your warnings. From what I understand, it is supposed to be a decent area, but you're making it sound quite dicey.
Wear a sari to an interview, hmmm. Nice suggestion, but I don't think you'll be interviewing me, so I doubt I'd be getting any points, brownie or otherwise :)

Mysteree said:
You know you're really starting to scare me with all your warnings. From what I understand, it is supposed to be a decent area, but you're making it sound quite dicey.

People should be cautious of their surroundings no matter where they are. He's just trying to remind you of that. Boston isn't that bad of a place, but it can look scary for the first time visitors. If you look at the statistics, Los Angeles was listed as 10th on a list of safest cities over 500k people and if I recall, Boston was 11th.

Too bad Dallas is ranked as the 4th most dangerous city in the US. :scared:

Oh I completely agree with you that one should be aware of their surroundings. Well, I've been to Boston once, for a day, but it was a while back and I was going around during the day.

What do you guys do in Dallas Tinman?! Troublemakers ;) btw doyou know where you'll be come fall?

tinman831 said:
People should be cautious of their surroundings no matter where they are. He's just trying to remind you of that. Boston isn't that bad of a place, but it can look scary for the first time visitors. If you look at the statistics, Los Angeles was listed as 10th on a list of safest cities over 500k people and if I recall, Boston was 11th.

Too bad Dallas is ranked as the 4th most dangerous city in the US. :scared:

Mysteree said:
Oh I completely agree with you that one should be aware of their surroundings. Well, I've been to Boston once, for a day, but it was a while back and I was going around during the day.

What do you guys do in Dallas Tinman?! Troublemakers ;) btw doyou know where you'll be come fall?

I've only gotten one acceptance to Tufts as of yet....soooooo....I suppose I'll be going there (unless I get a call from Pitt today). If I do get that call, then I wont be so sure anymore. Maybe the dental schools will make it easy on me and reject me from the rest of the schools. Then I won't have to decide between two schools. :D

Well, you have one, so that's good :) and it's for Tufts no less. Were you at the Jan 20th interview at Pitt, cause that's when I was there!

You my friend are funny, hoping you get rejected so you won't have to decided :laugh:

tinman831 said:
I've only gotten one acceptance to Tufts as of yet....soooooo....I suppose I'll be going there (unless I get a call from Pitt today). If I do get that call, then I wont be so sure anymore. Maybe the dental schools will make it easy on me and reject me from the rest of the schools. Then I won't have to decide between two schools. :D