What's the latest (reasonable) time I can take the DAT and not be at a big disadvantage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

artvandelay786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
^^

Members don't see this ad.

I assume you mean not be at a disadvantage in terms of timing in the application cycle. Very ideally you want to have your score available at the earliest possible time applications open which is June. But the point where it becomes a big disadvantage is probably around ~September/October where you're now dealing with a late application with many applicants in rolling admissions ahead of you. By November you'll start hitting the earlier deadline cutoffs at certain schools, nevermind all the applicants ahead of you at that point.

Also keep in mind that AADSAS does not get the DAT the instant you take them, the scores have to be sent to them which takes some time (a week or two? can't remember).

Reactions: 1 user
I assume you mean not be at a disadvantage in terms of timing in the application cycle. Very ideally you want to have your score available at the earliest possible time applications open which is June. But the point where it becomes a big disadvantage is probably around ~September/October where you're now dealing with a late application with many applicants in rolling admissions ahead of you. By November you'll start hitting the earlier deadline cutoffs at certain schools, nevermind all the applicants ahead of you at that point.

Also keep in mind that AADSAS does not get the DAT the instant you take them, the scores have to be sent to them which takes some time (a week or two? can't remember).
I do agree with you Feralis, but I do tell students if you are NOT ready in June by all means keep studying. Our summer course begins in June and does not end til mid August and our students get acceptances in December. The main focus should be on the highest DAT score possible. If you can attain that in June and are ready, go for it. But many students are just finishing their course work mid May and studying a few weeks just isn't enough for most students...

Members don't see this ad :)
From experience first time I took the DAT in June scored poorly, was not accepted. The second time I took the DAT I took it in September. I had 4 Pre Dec interviews and was accepted. So take it when you feel comfortable in my opinion.

I hope you don;t mind me joining in but, I was planning on taking the DAT this january to avoid the new changes but I have seen several threads advising to take your time while preparing and not rush.. That said, should i take my time and take it in february? But what material should I use? I was initially going to use the 2014 DAT destroyers and a 2013 kaplan review book from the official course to prepare. What would you advise? Thanks!

I hope you don;t mind me joining in but, I was planning on taking the DAT this january to avoid the new changes but I have seen several threads advising to take your time while preparing and not rush.. That said, should i take my time and take it in february? But what material should I use? I was initially going to use the 2014 DAT destroyers and a 2013 kaplan review book from the official course to prepare. What would you advise? Thanks!

If it came down to being potentially unprepared vs being prepared but having to possibly deal with a few variations for the new DAT, I'd pick the latter every time. Besides, they haven't announced when the new changes will be rolled out yet, so I wouldn't even worry about dealing with them in February yet - it's still early in the year so they may not even be implemented by then.

If it came down to being potentially unprepared vs being prepared but having to possibly deal with a few variations for the new DAT, I'd pick the latter every time. Besides, they haven't announced when the new changes will be rolled out yet, so I wouldn't even worry about dealing with them in February yet - it's still early in the year so they may not even be implemented by then.

Again I agree with you Feralis, The ADA will do exactly what they want, when they want, we have no control over that. They never stated there would be a grand announcement and drum roll for an exact day the changes would occur. The ADA may just filter in new questions during the course of the next year.

Keep studying until your feel prepared and don't take the test prematurely. The test is very challenging and not a test you want to repeat if it can be avoided.

Gotcha! I agree.Thank you both for your input, I really appreciate it! :)

And by late, I mean, not be at a significant disadvantage in terms of admissions because everyone here talks about how important applying early is.

So I guess, to clarify: would early September be too late to take the DAT?
I have worked with students that have taken the test early September and later that have been accepted into dental school that cycle. Take the exam when you are adequately prepared. The focus should be on achieving a high DAT score, because without a competitive DAT score, acceptance into any dental school is not possible.

As someone who has taken the DAT twice, I would say even August might be pushing it. Sept/Oct is really pushing it. Aim for end of July, at the latest!

As someone who has taken the DAT twice, I would say even August might be pushing it. Sept/Oct is really pushing it. Aim for end of July, at the latest!

I agree Studentdent110 taking the DAT in July or sooner would be preferred, but I am sure you agree that being prepared should be the number one priority.

OK, I will try to take my DAT in late July or early August. Hope this will be good. It's hard to tell because most people on SDN are huge overachievers lol

Reactions: 1 users
OK, I will try to take my DAT in late July or early August. Hope this will be good. It's hard to tell because most people on SDN are huge overachievers lol
True, but don't underestimate what you can do! It's easier said than done but with the right material and dedication you can do just as well.