whats the lowest verbal score that got in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RUscrewed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a 29O on the MCAT but only a 6 Verbal and received no interviews. I had 3.6 undergrad gpa with double major, and am currently finishing masters. LOR were solid, extracurriculars were good, I did volunteering, had research experience, and had industry experience as well. Needless to say, I applied to 11 schools (all state schools and some private ones but nothing elite like ivys or anything)... but with my 6 in the verbal part of the MCAT I got zero interviews, even though my total MCAT was still reasonable at 29O. Perhaps the august MCAT slowed my application down, but I thought that I was still competitive.

Whats the lowest MCAT verbal that got in med school this year? I'm going to have to retake that bloody test and apply super early next year. bastardos.

Members don't see this ad.

RUscrewed said:
I got a 29O on the MCAT but only a 6 Verbal and received no interviews. I had 3.6 undergrad gpa with double major, and am currently finishing masters. LOR were solid, extracurriculars were good, I did volunteering, had research experience, and had industry experience as well. Needless to say, I applied to 11 schools (all state schools and some private ones but nothing elite like ivys or anything)... but with my 6 in the verbal part of the MCAT I got zero interviews, even though my total MCAT was still reasonable at 29O. Perhaps the august MCAT slowed my application down, but I thought that I was still competitive.

Whats the lowest MCAT verbal that got in med school this year? I'm going to have to retake that bloody test and apply super early next year. bastardos.

If you do a quick search of very low MCAT scoring accepted candidates on MDApplicants.com, you will find people who got in with a 6 in verbal, but I don't think knowing there are exceptions out there will help you much. While a 29 is, as you said, "reasonable" (but not a shoe-in score), the adcoms also like to see balance. Thus a 29 composed of an 6,10,13 is not regarded as positively as a 9,10,10. Also applying to just 11 schools probably wasn't enough, given your numbers. Sounds like you know what to do if you don't get in this year -- study a lot of verbal passages, retake the MCAT and apply early to 20+ places.

Law2Doc said:
If you do a quick search of very low MCAT scoring accepted candidates on MDApplicants.com, you will find people who got in with a 6 in verbal, but I don't think knowing there are exceptions out there will help you much. While a 29 is, as you said, "reasonable" (but not a shoe-in score), the adcoms also like to see balance. Thus a 29 composed of an 6,10,13 is not regarded as positively as a 9,10,10. Also applying to just 11 schools probably wasn't enough, given your numbers. Sounds like you know what to do if you don't get in this year -- study a lot of verbal passages, retake the MCAT and apply early to 20+ places.

I agree. It sucks but you have to retake the MCAT. Adcoms are looking for anything to disqualify you in this competitive process and that could be one of them. I am sure you can get that up to a 9 with some practice. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you need to retake the MCAT to have a decent chance of matriculating into an allopathic school. The rule my pre-med advisor told us was to be competitive you should score no lower than an 8 on any section. Take it for what its worth, but I dont think a 29/6VR will get you in. If you have no objections with osteopathic, then your score should be more competitive, either way, I say retake and practice the hell out of VR.

YzIa said:
I think you need to retake the MCAT to have a decent chance of matriculating into an allopathic school. The rule my pre-med advisor told us was to be competitive you should score no lower than an 8 on any section. Take it for what its worth, but I dont think a 29/6VR will get you in. If you have no objections with osteopathic, then your score should be more competitive, either way, I say retake and practice the hell out of VR.

Yes! I got in to medical school with a 5 Verbal Mcat score. It might be the exception. But I believe the God whom I serve saw me thru the admission process. That was my only so called weakness. Needless to say it wasn't my only offer. Guys work hard and trust God diligently and he won't fail you. Please remember, it not what people says about you that matters but God's.

I know a dude who got into Baylor with a 6 VR (composite 31), but he was stellar in all the other parts of his application.

HIghbury said:
Yes! I got in to medical school with a 5 Verbal Mcat score. It might be the exception. But I believe the God whom I serve saw me thru the admission process. That was my only so called weakness. Needless to say it wasn't my only offer. Guys work hard and trust God diligently and he won't fail you. Please remember, it not what people says about you that matters but God's.

In giving you your spot, God just shafted someone else.

HIghbury said:

Call me crazy, but I dont think god can take credit for getting anyone into medical school regardless of how terrible a verbal score you had.
By the way, is god going to cure your patients woe's as well or will you take credit?

jeffsleepy said:
In giving you your spot, God just shafted someone else.

Indeed, if god did play a role in this, someone else must have mightily pissed him off.

Reactions: 1 user
I would definetly retake the mcats and practice hard for the verbal. I had a 27 on the mcats first time with a 7 in verbal and did get interviews but no admission. I retook my mcats with focus on the verbal and pushed my verbal to a 10. So it is possible. And now I am headed off to med school. SO just be patient and work hard and u will be ok bud!!

Reactions: 1 user
thanks for the comments. its kinda late to prepare for the april test, but i wonder if 2 months is enough time to improve 1-2 points in verbal. does anyone know how schools handle multiple mcats. for instance suppose i improve verbal by 1 point and get a 7, but each of my sciences goes down 1.. have i done a disservice to myself in retaking the mcat despite improving my weakest part of the application? do committees mix and match the highest scores? i just dont want to take the august test again and be screwed because my apps are late again.

RUscrewed said:
thanks for the comments. its kinda late to prepare for the april test, but i wonder if 2 months is enough time to improve 1-2 points in verbal. does anyone know how schools handle multiple mcats. for instance suppose i improve verbal by 1 point and get a 7, but each of my sciences goes down 1.. have i done a disservice to myself in retaking the mcat despite improving my weakest part of the application? do committees mix and match the highest scores? i just dont want to take the august test again and be screwed because my apps are late again.
Each school does this different, some average your scores (in my experience most do this), some will take you highest composite score, some will take your highest individual scores (best case scenario).

YzIa said:
Each school does this different, some average your scores (in my experience most do this), some will take you highest composite score, some will take your highest individual scores (best case scenario).
You really should be shooting for a 9-10. I don't think that a 7 will drastically improve your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
RUscrewed said:
thanks for the comments. its kinda late to prepare for the april test, but i wonder if 2 months is enough time to improve 1-2 points in verbal.

It's definitely not too late to prepare for the April MCAT. You did it once, you can do it again! If there aren't too many hindrances (I don't know your personal/work situation or commitments), I would study my ass off for the next two months and really try to get that verbal up to a 9, at least. I know I'm stating the obvious, but with an April MCAT you can get your apps in as soon as possible. I wouldn't do the August MCAT again unless you really don't have time to study for the April one.

Also, like others have said already, you might want to think about applying to more than 20 schools. If the schools you are applying to aren't your "home" state schools, you might want to expand your list and apply to more private schools. Some state schools definitely have a quota or tend to favor state residents, so that might be another hoop to jump through for you if you are not a resident. Good luck with the planning and MCATs!

YzIa said:
You really should be shooting for a 9-10. I don't think that a 7 will drastically improve your application.

I would second this -- getting a 7 or another 6 (or worse) will essentially validate your previous verbal score, so you no longer can hope for the benefit of the doubt that maybe you just had a bad test day. Although there's probably still time to study for the April MCAT if you do little else from now till then, if you don't think you have time to adequately prepare for the April MCAT (due to other obligations), then absolutely don't take it. You will be better off applying with a high August MCAT retake than a crummy April one. Alternatively skip a year of applying and be very early with the AMCAS the following year.

:luck:
RUscrewed said:

Its not too late, by any means. How did you prepare for the verbal section to begin with? I found I was able to up my score in just one day simply by reading a test-taking strategy for VR from Kaplans book. Anyways, if you get 10's on the other sections, and a 9 on the VR, that will be a better score. Seeing as how you scored pretty high on PS and BS, I would think that getting a ten again would be no sweat for you. Good luck :luck:

Anything less than an 8 on any given section is an automatic cut-off for a lot of schools. If you had an 11/10/8 split, then your chances are hopeful, but like you've been told already, a lot of schools will be wary of your application if you've got anything under a 9.

And a 5 on VR? I'm all for looking at all aspects of an applicant, but how do you get that far down and still get in?

TheProwler said:
And a 5 on VR? I'm all for looking at all aspects of an applicant, but how do you get that far down and still get in?

Thats what I was thinking, how do you graduate from college and still manage to pull a 5. Unless someone under extreme duress or english is not their native language, still a 5 is the 10-15 percentile. :thumbdown:

I don't buy it.

YzIa said:
Thats what I was thinking, how do you graduate from college and still manage to pull a 5. Unless someone under extreme duress or english is not their native language, still a 5 is the 10-15 percentile. :thumbdown:

I don't buy it.
It sounded like a pretty lame troll post anyway.

vhawk01 said:
Tell that to every professional athlete...who ever played...any sport....ever
Does medicine look like a bunch of grown men groping each other to get a ball into a hole to you?

MWillie said:
It sounded like a pretty lame troll post anyway.
I looked up his posts and it appears like the 5VR dude is legit about his situation, obviously can't vouch for the acceptance. English is his second language, eh.

YzIa said:
I looked up his posts and it appears like the 5VR dude is legit about his situation, obviously can't vouch for the acceptance. English is his second language, eh.

I was refering to all the God references.

YzIa said:
It depends on whether you want to get in or you want to get in to a competitive school. I know my friend's score was 6,12,12, and she got in easily. Not sure but total is better than individual?? Comments?

YzIa said:

I don't buy it.

10-15 percentile on the MCAT is probably around average for college graduates nationwide. I'm sure his PS and BS scores neutralized some of that damage. You're making it sound like anyone who doesn't break the curve on the MCAT Verbal can't dress themselves in the morning.

Everyone has a weakness and I'm glad a med school was able to look past his. Would you want Shaq on your basketball team even if he can't make free throws?

Will Ferrell said:
10-15 percentile on the MCAT is probably around average for college graduates nationwide. I'm sure his PS and BS scores neutralized some of that damage. You're making it sound like anyone who doesn't break the curve on the MCAT Verbal can't dress themselves in the morning.

Everyone has a weakness and I'm glad a med school was able to look past his. Would you want Shaq on your basketball team even if he can't make free throws?
are you equating the ability to read and critically reason the material to shooting free throws?

YzIa said:
are you equating the ability to read and critically reason the material to shooting free throws?

No, I'm just saying people should be evaluated as a whole. There are three seperate sections on the MCAT. He must have done well on his science sections. He may become one of the best doctors out there. Just don't equate a poor VR score with a learning disability.

People take the MCATs their junior year. I doubt the thousands of students scoring in the lower percentile are going to fail out within the next year.

HIghbury said:

Yeah, except all of those people God doesn't look out for right. Oh, but I bet that all the people that don't get in were hedonists and atheists. Just like all those tsunami victims, right? :rolleyes:

RUscrewed said:

Two months is PLENTY of time, if you start right now! If you are going to do it, do it right. I re-took the MCATs to bring up a low verbal score, and my sciences ended up slipping (my verbal went up by 1). If you are going to take it again, really go for it! Make sure that you spend as much or more time on the sciences, in addition to the verbal. You can definitely do it! Keep us posted.

I got a 7 in verbal and have had 2 interviews so far and have one acceptance. I was pretty nervous about applying with a 7 in verbal, but I had a well rounded application with a great personal statement. I retook the mcat in august w/ hopes of boosting my verbal but still managed to get the same score from april in verbal. I tried everything to get that dang score up. I was doing well in practice tests, but just got nervous and anxious on the real thing during verbal. the key i think is to learn how to take the test w/ distractions around. there was a band playing outside at the college i took it at and I just let it get to me during the verbal portion. Anyways, don't let it get you down. keep up the hard work. good luck :luck:

longhorndoc said:
I got a 7 in verbal and have had 2 interviews so far and have one acceptance. I was pretty nervous about applying with a 7 in verbal, but I had a well rounded application with a great personal statement. I retook the mcat in august w/ hopes of boosting my verbal but still managed to get the same score from april in verbal. I tried everything to get that dang score up. I was doing well in practice tests, but just got nervous and anxious on the real thing during verbal. the key i think is to learn how to take the test w/ distractions around. there was a band playing outside at the college i took it at and I just let it get to me during the verbal portion. Anyways, don't let it get you down. keep up the hard work. good luck :luck:

My verbal went from a 7 to an 8 the second time. Not a big fan of the verbal section! Key is definitely learning to work in spite of distractions, practicing until you are extremely confident taking the test. But, I never got that section down!

I would second this -- getting a 7 or another 6 (or worse) will essentially validate your previous verbal score, so you no longer can hope for the benefit of the doubt that maybe you just had a bad test day.

I agree. I had a pretty good MCAT score, but since I was applying to MD/PhD programs, I felt I needed better than a 32 (long story, turned them down to go MD only). I talked to several people in admissions and they all said that if I retook the MCAT and got the same score, it only proves to them that you cannot do better. While taking the August MCAT puts you at a huge disadvantage for most schools, taking the April one prematurely and getting the same or worse score will really do some permanent damage to your chances of getting into med school.

I know my friend's score was 6,12,12, and she got in easily. Not sure but total is better than individual?? Comments?

Not from what I have been told (at least if one of the scores is very low). Admissions committees would rather see a 10-10-10 than a 6-12-12. One of the people I talked to said a 32 would get me an interview there if it was a 10-11-11, but not if it was an 8-12-12. On the other hand, some schools sort applications based on GPA and MCAT, so a higher overall MCAT score might get looked at before a lower, more even one. There are a lot of other factors that could have compensated for her 6.

RUscrewed said:

I got into 2 schools with a 7 on the verbal, but the school I ultimately ended up at didn't contact me until I got a 9.

Will Ferrell said:

Everyone has a weakness and I'm glad a med school was able to look past his.
I hope that my prospective med schools look past my weakness of a 2.5 cumulative, right?

:rolleyes: A weakness on your app is something like a 7-8 on your VR, not a 5.

RUscrewed said:

I know a second year at Iowa who got in with a 6 (14 on physics, I forgot what on bio). He couldn't get into a UC though.

I got in into a pretty good school with a 6 in my verbal this year.

Violet54 said:
I got in into a pretty good school with a 6 in my verbal this year.

what school violet?

OSUdoc08 said:
I got into 2 schools with a 7 on the verbal, but the school I ultimately ended up at didn't contact me until I got a 9.

Hey OSUdoc,

did you get any interviews or acceptances to allopathic schools? i'm assuming you went to OSU osteopathic. thanks

I've heard of someone getting in w/ as low as a 6 on the verbal. Depending on the school, i think the importance of the verbal section varies. It was my best section, which was very odd to me.

Will Ferrell said:
No, I'm just saying people should be evaluated as a whole. There are three seperate sections on the MCAT. He must have done well on his science sections. He may become one of the best doctors out there. Just don't equate a poor VR score with a learning disability.

People take the MCATs their junior year. I doubt the thousands of students scoring in the lower percentile are going to fail out within the next year.

Yeah, I agree with Will Ferrell (who is also my fav comedian---you have to watch Anchorman!). The MCAT is not a test that indicates mental capability....people who know how to take standardized tests well....perform well on the test bottom line. Sometimes people choke (and on more than one tests), whatever the case, adcom's are willing to look past it with an application that is stronger in other ways. What is wrong with that?

I really don't think that we should be so judgemental. The purpose of this thread was to allow people to feel comfortable enough to post low verbal scores???? If I recall correctly, that is what the first message in the thread asked for. So stop attacking/mocking the people on here who are trying to relate to the person who began this thread (hey they are just passing on a little hope). Just a question...is anyone in this thread a member of any adcom? Yeah I didn't think so....and have you seen the application of the person with the 5 on the verbal? Yeah, no I didn't think you saw that either. Most importantly, since when did attacking someone's personal beliefs help anyone decide whether they should retake the MCAT. That attack was pointless and low guys. As a future physician, you are going to have to deal with patients who choose to incorporate their faith into their healthcare. Come on guys, you have to learn to be more sensitive to that...start now. Boo hoo, you can't not treat a patient because she thanks God for getting better.
Obviously the people with lower verbal scores had many other strong points in their applications. We do not know the circumstances of the lower scores so why bug out and assume someone is incompetent....sheesh....give people a break.

Sorry it just pisses me off, it makes you sound really elitist to mock a persons MCAT scores.

Rice University '05
Mizzou School of Medicine '09

kc123 said:
Two months is PLENTY of time, if you start right now! If you are going to do it, do it right. I re-took the MCATs to bring up a low verbal score, and my sciences ended up slipping (my verbal went up by 1). If you are going to take it again, really go for it! Make sure that you spend as much or more time on the sciences, in addition to the verbal. You can definitely do it! Keep us posted.

did the one extra point help you get interviews? i don't think any length of time short of 3 years will guarantee an improvement on the verbal test for me, and i simply will not wait that long. I am thinking that if I pull off a 7 in VR in April, with 10+ science scores, I will be ok. My question is this: Is it better to get a 7V 11P 10B in April 2005 or a 7V 12P 12B in August 2005? Of course my application goes out on June 1 in either case, but will most likely be on hold if I take the August MCAT. I took the MCAT in April of 1999: 5VR 11P 10B and in August of 2004: 6V 12P 11B so this would actually be my 3rd attempt. My bias is that the April result would give me the highest chance due to the rolling nature of medical schools. Or am I just better off going to the islands this Fall and just giving up on the process. My other stats are fine: see original post for stats, but VR is the only weakness. What do you guys think: April or August?

To the person who began this thread....I say call the schools that rejected you to find out why...or write a letter if you feel that is too aggressive. It may not be your verbal score that turned them off. I'd say, it's good to hear what other pre-allo students have to say about the MCAT but before you take any major steps, hear it from the horse's mouth.
Furthermore, if you strengthen your app in the right way, you do not need to apply to twenty schools. My app was average but I figured out what adcom's were looking for in the schools that I was interested in...that narrowed down my app list....I applied to 6 schools with only an 8 on my verbal (and my bios/phys scores were not that much higher). My GPA was very average too. I knew going in that I might not be a top ranked applicant as far as numbers are concerned, so I focused on my other strengths, med field experience, medical study abroad, published research, university activities and of course I worked my buns off during the interview to impress (again not to swank or to kiss up to but to impress) the doctors I talked with. It worked for me but this is not a formula or a sure way to receive acceptance....so don't go attacking/refuting what I say....it was just what worked for me.

MAIN POINT: CALL 'EM