What's the minimum hours that a pharmacy is willing to hire for part time tech p

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sagain

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what's the minimum hours that a pharmacy is willing to hire for part time tech position? I am a student and only have time for 3-4 hours work as a tech weekly. I am certified and would like to know how likely it is to get a tech job which has less than 5 hours weekly? Please give feedback

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on where you are located. Here in California, there are a handful of independent pharmacies that accept 4~6 hours part time work. Try searching at these websites: indeed.com or simplyhired.com

Good luck!

It really depends on the pharmacy, but I think to expect an employer to train you for only 3-4 hours of weekly work isn't realistic. It'll take you months to pick up all the essentials of your job if you're only there 3-4 hours a week.

My suggestion is to try to time a tech job so that you can work more hours per week during training. Try to start it over the summer, for instance. That way, if you want to keep working 10-15 hours per week while you're in school (which, I think, is a realistic number of hours to be working for a pre-pharm student) they may be more accommodating. Bear in mind, if you're asking for a small number of weekly hours, they may anticipate that you'll be more flexible as to when you can work those hours (evenings, weekends, etc.) So don't go in to an employer and say, for instance, "I can only work from 9-12 on Thursdays, can I have a job"?

If you can't make that work with your schedule, you may want to consider volunteering; in that case, a pharmacy would likely be just fine with 3-4 hours per week.

If you live in South Florida we need a tech to work Sundays, 11am-5pm :D