1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

What's the "New" MCAT Going to be like?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by cal212, Aug 12, 2002.

1. cal212

cal212 New Member

Does anybody know? Will it be harder, easier, more or less the same? Will it have a different emphasis in any of the sections?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. rCubed

rCubed taiko master
    10+ Year Member

i know they're gonna change the order that the exam's given in, so verbal won't be first

and i also think they're gonna make the verbal section a little shorter, so u have less questions but the same amount of time, but i know they're also gonna change that section so that the maximum can get will be 15, not 13-15.

i doubt it'll be harder, if anything, i've heard that its being made easier

4. CoffeeCat

CoffeeCat SDN Angel
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    More genetics, less ochem! Maybe I should wait to take the test?!?

5. limit

limit Molesting my inner-child
    10+ Year Member

Verbal will be made more difficult because there is no other way to fix the curve -- simply reducing the amount for questions only increases the possibility of many perfect scores, which is presently responsible for the narrow (nonexistant?) disparity between scores of 13 - 15.

6. fuzzwinkle11

fuzzwinkle11 Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    From aamc.org:
    "An Updated MCAT Is Coming!
    In 2003, minor changes will be made to the MCAT. A few organic chemistry questions will be replaced by questions on DNA and genetics, the Verbal Reasoning (VR) section will have five fewer questions, it will be possible to achieve a 14 or 15 on the VR, and a total score will be reported (e.g., 45T). PS will become the first section of the day, followed by VR."

hope they have more information on practice problems, format changes, time limits, etc....

Anyone know where to find out more about this?

7. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

IMHO, the new MCAT will be a bit easier than the current form..more genetics is easier (although, organic chem is quite a breeze).

All in all, it doesnt matter..just work hard, do your best, and blow away the competition. That's what the game is all about!

8. Sonya

Sonya Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

more GENETICS less o-chem, or more BIO less ochem...??
    are you sure it's just genetics that's increasing?

I'd rather have the ochem then the bio, but genetics is fine for bio.