Whats the point of retaking a class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted212503

For my school at least, there is no in between an A or a B. you either get a 4.0 (A) or a 3.0 (B). So lets say you get a B in chem. but you decide to retake it and get an A. So AMCAS would average those grades but i dont think it'll come out to an A? I dont know.

Members don't see this ad.

No.

And you shouldn't retake a B. Leave it for under-C's, which generally aren't accepted for school.

You dont retake Bs, you retake Ds and Fs.

Members don't see this ad :)
what about C's? i got a C in orgo 1 and possibly planning to retake to get a B. Uh.... and heard you can't retake orgo 1 if you took orgo 2?

what about C's? i got a C in orgo 1 and possibly planning to retake to get a B. Uh.... and heard you can't retake orgo 1 if you took orgo 2?

Are you applying to both allo and osteopathic schools? If you're applying to only allopathic, don't retake. It'll be averaged anyway and it won't get you anything. Only retake Ds and Fs. If you're applying to osteopathic, you might want to retake the C, but make sure you can get an A. Don't aim for a B on the second run-through.

Depends on your university. At mine, you can't retake any previous coursework if you have progressed in the series. For example, you can't retake MA101 if you took MA102, MA102 if you took MA201, and MA201 if you took MA202.

Wait for amcas they take the average of the two grades?

question:

spring

humanities A 3 units
gen chem C 5 units
phycisc A 5 units

gpa = [ (3x4)+(2x5)+(5x4) ] / 13

summer

gen chem A 5 units

so is the grade counted as an average of the two as in (2x5)+(4x5) / 10
so does it count for 10 units or as for 5 units? l after retake?>>> (3x5) / 5

Wait for amcas they take the average of the two grades?

question:

spring

humanities A 3 units
gen chem C 5 units
phycisc A 5 units

gpa = [ (3x4)+(2x5)+(5x4) ] / 13

summer

gen chem A 5 units

so is the grade counted as an average of the two as in (2x5)+(4x5) / 10
so does it count for 10 units or as for 5 units? l after retake?>>> (3x5) / 5
I am pretty sure that it counts for 10 units. They will see both of your grades (C and A), not just one (B).

allopathic.

Then don't retake it. AMCAS averages your grades so whether you take this class again or take an upper level class and get an A in it, the affect it'll have on your GPA will be the same and under those circumstances, I'd recommend taking the other class. Only retake Orgo I if you didn't learn the material because Orgo II builds on the principles of Orgo I. If you felt you learned the material, then go on to Orgo II and take a class like Biochemistry to even out the C you got in Orgo I.