What's the relationship btw frequency, wavelength, and temp?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jwkhjang

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently studying wavelength and frequency and I'm writing a lab about the Effect of Temperature Change on the Tune of a pipe. I've learned about the equation v= f*Lambda.
What will happen if temperature is changed? I know that speed of the sound will increase. Does it mean that wavelength will also increase? I was curious because if temp. increases, the frequency increases which mean is that both speed of the sound and the temp will increase. So will the wavelength stay the same?

Members don't see this ad.

You said you are curious because if the Temperature increase so does the frequency? Is that a fact? Have you tested that yourself? If so let me know so I can change what said below.

And yes T does change the speed of a wave, because as you increase the T , you are increasing the KE of the gas (first meduim) the wave is traveling through, and the energy of the liquid and solid (2nd and 3rd media) so imparting for enegery to the media thereby causing the wave to propagate faster.

Now, the solution to the problem depends on how ones defined a meduim. For example shallow water and deep water are consider different media, same as hot and cold air. So as you sound wave travel from cold air to Hot air , the FREQUENCY won't change because you are going from one meduim to the other, however the WAVELENGHT and the SPEED would both increase.