What's the story on PCSOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mistirvr

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received an interview at PCSOM for mid-April. But, having been accepted to two schools already, I'm wondering if this is something I should consider attending.

What type of reputation does the school have (being so new)? Are people happy there? Does rural appalachia provide a good clinical background for residencies outside of primary care specialties? (I'm considering primary care, but am still unsure) Does a required rotation in "women's health" mean ob/gyn?

Anyone interviewed and/or accepted at PCSOM, what is your opinion of the school, program, and location?

Thanks,
Melissa :)

Members don't see this ad.

The school offers a valuable service in that it works hard to train competent primary care physicians for underserved areas. It does a great job at this.

If you are thinking of living away from that area in the future, maybe another school would be better fitting. Again...it's not a bad school, but very focused on its specific goal.

Where else have you been accepted?

I was accepted there as well Melissa, but I chose NOVA for quite a few reasons. The school itself was nicer (facility-wise) The OMT program is better at NOVA judging by comments from current students at each school. The physical locations...well there's really no comparison for me when it comes to where I'd like to spend the next few years. The people I met were very friendly at both places and seemed eager to help so that wasn't a factor. Being literally up in the mountains, there is ample opportunity to experience the country doc atmosphere I beleive. They have a small class size PCSOM which is a plus (60 or so). The students said the ventilation in the anatomy lab sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I don't know if you have 24 hour access to the lab like NOVA or not. Some big pluses for them is they give you free shiznit for going there like a laptop and stuff. Their board scores were not all that great, but they are also just ironing out a new curriculum and working out the kinks (only graduated 1 or 2 classes so far). It is way too expensive to go there IMO, but the people are great. Overall it was not a good value for me because my wife needs to more career opportunities than would be available in Pikeville. I think the town's population is like 6000 or something like that. The The undergrad school has like 600 students and the med school like 200-250. I can't think of anything else right now....But if I were you and you can spare the moola, I would go to the interview and see for yourself. When you're driving around the town seems larger than its population would suggest...there is a WalMart too! The students were telling me how the locals all know them by name...I'm not so sure thats a good thing though (can't do anything shameful :wink: ). If there's anything else you need to know..I'll try to help. I will be fair in my criticisms b/c I really liked the school and the people when I went, just not the town. I realize that the environment outside the school is of no import to many so if you want more info about that then let me know.

PEACE