islandgirl1

Psychologist-in-training
10+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2007
Status
Psychology Student
Why did you choose the avatar you have and what do you think the choice says about you?

Thrak

RU experienced?
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2007
Queens, NY/Edison, NJ
Status
Psychology Student
It's my eye. I work in vision research.

I was going to go with a picture of the back of my eye, but some people are squeamish, so I decided to be nice :D

Cosmo75

Post-Doctoral Fellow
10+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2008
Chicago
Status
Post Doc
Stewie Griffin. Let's see, what does that say about me....

I'm an over-intellectual adult in an infant's body? Crass? I want to kill my mother? I'm a complete a-hole? I can't hold my liquor? Or I just really like Family Guy.

Probably somewhere in between :D I liken Stewie to a "Mrs. Hyde" to my empathic, caring psychologist role Dr. Cosmo.

"The ruptured capillaries in your nose belie the clarity of your wisdom."

spillsomepaint

10+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2007
vcu.facebook.com
Status
Psychology Student
It's my little dog chloe. Actually it just reminds me that I have to leave her during my first year in grad school: ( the grad housing isn't pet friendly.

erg923

Regional Clinical Officer, Centene Corporation
10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2007
Louisville, KY
Status
Psychologist
"Machine-gun Kitty" is a take off of "Machine-gun Kelly, the gangster. It also represents the duality of this profession. Warm, cuddly kitty, friendly and empathetic. However, after doing that all day and seeing patients, it can occasionally make you wanna go postal.......:laugh:

myelin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2008
Status
Psychology Student
My avatar represents the clock drawing test and is an example of how an individual with unilateral spatial neglect would likely draw the clock.

It says I'd like to be a clinical neuropsychologist (could ya tell?)

RayneeDeigh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2007
Status
Psychology Student
The original avatar was something I've had for awhile, another mod added the hats for the holidays....I should probably change it soon.
Would you believe that I've never actually NOTICED that they were wearing santa hats? Maybe I shouldn't admit to this, haha.

I love Dali's art
ME TOO.

As for my avatar... I dunno. It makes me happy. In the original version the dude is chasing the little pig and its cute little legs are running which makes me laugh.

This probably means I'm really 7 years old at heart.

psychwanabe

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2007
Status
Psychology Student
My son drew this picture when he was about 3 or 4. I love being a Mom and seeing this drawing all the time makes me smile.

...plus it's cute and I have a child focus so it seemed appropriate. :rolleyes:

sunlioness

Fierce. Proud. Strong
10+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Mine is a contemplative cougar. I like cougars and for some reason using one that looks like s/he's thinking in psych forums makes me laugh. :)

blindchaos

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2007
Status
What about the log in names people have chosen for themselves? (ie: why did you pick Ollie123 or sunlioness or T4C, etc). Anyway...continue with the avatar stuff - just thought it might be fun to hear why people picked their names too :)

OP
islandgirl1

islandgirl1

Psychologist-in-training
10+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2007
Status
Psychology Student
Hahaha! This thread is good laughs.

Mine is a pic I took while laying on the beach on my little island. I use it here to remind myself of home. And well it goes with my name.
The av I had before this was a mandala I liked during a Jung-obsession stint.

OP
islandgirl1

islandgirl1

Psychologist-in-training
10+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2007
Status
Psychology Student
What about the log in names people have chosen for themselves? (ie: why did you pick Ollie123 or sunlioness or T4C, etc). Anyway...continue with the avatar stuff - just thought it might be fun to hear why people picked their names too :)
why'd you pick yours?

73BARMYPgsp

Post Doc
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2007
Ft. Gordon, GA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I just decided to actually have one because of your thread. It is probably impossible to see but it reads "US ARMY. SO EASY A CAVEMAN CAN DO IT"

Even though I am very serious about being a soldier, I have a sense of humor about it.

RayneeDeigh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2007
Status
Psychology Student
My screenname's a bastardized version of the last song I ever played on stage.

Quynh2007

the oracle of destiny
10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2004
Status
Psychology Student
um...i like chocolate covered strawberries....

as for my username...it's my name + graduation year. kinda lame, but this was in 2004....

KillerDiller

10+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2007
Status
Post Doc
My avatar is the "after" picture of the Zoloft egg. It is more representative of my love of happy bouncing anthropomorphic ovals than it is of any love I hold for Zoloft.

I've been thinking of switching to a Portal icon, as I unabashedly love that computer game.

My name, like all my various internet user names, is a reference to Beatles lyrics. Bonus points if you know what song it is (but not that many bonus points because it's not exactly obscure).

erg923

10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2007
Louisville, KY
Status
Psychologist
that would have to be Polythene Pam from the Abbey Road album.....:)

moonflwr

Former Cincinnatian
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2008
Florida
Status
MD/PhD Student
I chose my avatar because I thought it was pretty. I think I just picked it up off of google image search, although I don't even remember what I searched for. As for my name, its my favorite flower and a username that I use a lot. Although I think it makes me sound kind of like a hippy, which I'm not :D

GiantSteps

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2007
Status
My avatar (as I actually once explained in another post) is the Ernie Kovacs' Nairobi Trio. Kovacs was a comedian from the early days of televion (before my time) whom I remember seeing on some re-runs or television nostalgia shows. Here they are playing:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Uw03hS_EMY

I was trying to capture comedy and the obscure!:D

My screen name is the title of one of the most important jazz albums ever produced by the the great tenor saxophonist John Coltrane. This simply displays my love of music and jazz.

Ilovecows

10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2008
Status
Got a pic just so I could post in this thread
The picture = of a cute cow that I found by typing in cute cow in google images
My name = I think cows are soooooooooo cute. I dunno, always had a thing for cows I think. My mom told me when I was little she wanted to make me stop sucking on my pacifier and she said that when I asked for the pacifier a couple times, she told me that a cow ate it. I guess I believed her ....

Thrak

RU experienced?
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2007
Queens, NY/Edison, NJ
Status
Psychology Student
My name is taken from an instrumental King Crimson song. At the time, King Crimson was a double-trio (two guitarists, two bassists, two drummers). The song starts out relatively orderly, then devolves into what seems like an atonal madness.

I chose it because...well, I really like King Crimson :D

erg923

10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2007
Louisville, KY
Status
Psychologist
my name is Eric. When you say it really fast, it sounds like "erg." When i grew up, my father always made a chore list on the refrigerator for me. Instead of writing "Eric's Chores"...he just wrote "erg's chores" The numbers are random.

Psyched77

10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2008
Status
Psychology Student
My h*ll. (Is that off limits?) This is the most interesting thread since the acceptance thread! :laugh: j/k ...but I really do like it.

Avatar=Too lazy to search for a unique pic, so I picked something from the list that wasn't too cutesy or whatever. I sometimes feel like I'm just an unexplainable person whose story is too complex to ever really convey, so a black-hole-looking-thing seemed appropriate.

Name=Boring. Boring. Boring. Unlike most psych students, the "psyched" thing never dawned on me until I saw it on a license plate in the psych building's parking lot in my [gasp] senior year! I was so stoked about it! However, I'm learning that it's the most over-used "fun phrase" in the world of psychology. 77=the year I was born. :)

psychwanabe

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2007
Status
Psychology Student
My name was chosen when I first registered and I was desperately trying to get accepted into grad school. Now I wish I'd been more thoughtful about it: who knew I'd still be SDNing more than a year later?

psychanon

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
Status
Psychology Student
My lack of avatar is a very accurate reflection of my extreme laziness. As is my boring and non-creative screen name. :D

PS- hadn't noticed that Ollie posted almost the exact same thing. Guess I didn't read the thread too carefully. Further evidence of my laziness.

psychdude5469

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2008
Status
Psychology Student
I'll be doing research on the aging and I hope I'll see this guy. As for my name... no reason really. I say dude a lot.

Sarahanne

10+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2007
Status
Psychology Student
the picture says it all....and yes a linear relationship exists: with more ph.d. exposure, the addiction gets worse haha

psychwanabe

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2007
Status
Psychology Student
the picture says it all....and yes a linear relationship exists: with more ph.d. exposure, the addiction gets worse haha
This is funny. My classmates and I (after one VERY late night) decided we should design a study to exlplore the correlation between increased caffeine consumption and year in graduate school. :rolleyes:

Therapist4Chnge

Neuropsych Ninja Faculty
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2006
The Beach
Status
Psychologist
I am... a pink cupcake.

woo!

:laugh:

That made my day. Seriously. I was talking to some friends about the merits of Red Velvet cake today, and one was arguing that funfetti cupcakes are actually where it is at, because they were the perfect ratio of icing to cake. It was a pretty sound argument.

....and now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

pinknyyy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2008
Status
Psychology Student
No no no! Red velvet all the way! With cream cheese frosting!

I really AM the epitome of a pink cupcake though. Don't really know how I managed to get myself into a program with this much silliness :p

blindchaos

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2007
Status
why'd you pick yours?
I picked this a couple years ago (not for SDN) and honestly, I was just having a bad week - it was one of those weeks where everything kinda hit the fan and it just felt very chaotic and this screenname was the first thing that came to mind :rolleyes: I stuck with it for SDN just b/c it's easier to remember than creating another name. And the story with my avatar is...I couldn't get my pic to upload the first time and just never got around to trying again :laugh:

michalita

10+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2006
New England
Status
Post Doc
My avatar (as I actually once explained in another post) is the Ernie Kovacs' Nairobi Trio. Kovacs was a comedian from the early days of televion (before my time) whom I remember seeing on some re-runs or television nostalgia shows. Here they are playing:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Uw03hS_EMY

I was trying to capture comedy and the obscure!:D

That was mildly disturbing. And I'm not even going to go into it from a social work perspective...:eek:

michalita

10+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2006
New England
Status
Post Doc
Username: It's a combination of my middle name and part of a nickname (-ita = little one)

Picture: Why, that's me, can't you tell? :)