What's the word on not interviewing at your own program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fishmonger69

deadly with a knife
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone got some advice? first off, significant other does not want to remain in the same area. secondly, the interview dates offered are sparse and already taken by other programs. guess there's not much of a choice to make, just wondering how kosher it was.

Members don't see this ad.

fishmonger69 said:
anyone got some advice? first off, significant other does not want to remain in the same area. secondly, the interview dates offered are sparse and already taken by other programs. guess there's not much of a choice to make, just wondering how kosher it was.

You're right - the choice is clear - you should interview at your own program. Unless you have an incredibly compelling reason (i.e. military won't let you interview civillian), it's a major snub not to interview at your own program.

That's what I was worried about. Unfortunately, if I interview at my own program I end up missing the resident events the night before at other programs, and I would rather match at the other programs. GRRRRRRRRRR.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's no reason to interview at "your own" program if you don't want to go there. I'm not. Most of my fellow students are shocked. "Isn't that considered 'dissing' them?". Well, no it's not, they aren't bothered by it at all. I did run it by a senior faculty member who I know very well and who's involved in the selection process. He assured me that it's not an issue at all.

What's more, a friend of mine recently emailed our program director telling him that he was having trouble scheduling all his interviews. He gave the pd three program names and asked his opinion on which one he should drop. The PD suggested that unless he really was sure that he wanted to stay he should drop the home interview and rearrange his schedule so he could go to all three.

I think that was the program director's subtle way of hinting that the kid isn't going to get a spot here anyway so he might as well use his time to better effect. In any case he's not in the least bit bothered by it. The "you have to interview at your own program or else they'll be offended" thing is a myth.

I think that it might be kosher at some schools to not interview at the home program but I have been told by residents that some PDs are less likely to be "enthusiatic" about helping if they feel "snubbed". You probably have to feel this out at home and talk to faculty and such...

thanks for the input. guess i'll call my advisor, since he's also the PD, and see what his thoughts are.