1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What's the word on UT Health Science Center San Antonio?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by 3aliyah, Jan 28, 2002.

1. 3aliyah

3aliyah Member
    7+ Year Member

I know UTHSCSA used to be the #1 a few years back but I'm wondering where it ranks now. Also, has anyone interviewed here yet? How'd it go?

I had a friend (Palestinian) interview there and apparently the adcom kept turning the subject to his heritage and wanted to know his opinions on world affairs (i.e. Gaza strip etc). To make this short, he didn't get in. Sounds like some prejudice there to me... :(

2. Blue Tooth

Blue Tooth Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm not so sure that I'd read prejudice out of what happened to your friend. It's possible but I'm not sure how likely it really is. I too am arabic and though I wasn't questioned about my ancestry, some interviews do try to put you on the spot. From what I've gathered, they try to ask you difficult, odd, and sometimes inflamatory questions in order to gague your response. I'd still look into UT-SA. If you want to stay in the area, from what I've heard from people it's still an outstanding school (arguably top 5) and a great value.

3. 3aliyah

3aliyah Member
    7+ Year Member

Baccurso..

Oh cool! Are you a Muslim? (just wondering since I am alhamdulillah)

Yeah I definitely will be applying to UTHSC and I hope I get to interview with them. Their entering GPA is a bit higher than some of the other schools I've looked at but UTHSC has a reputation for looking at the whole individual rather than just the numbers.

Have you taken the DAT yet? Was it really rough? (I hear the MCAT is the worst one out there!) Where have you applied?

Reply to this email and let me know if you are muslim because I do have another question for you that you may have some insight into....

4. Blue Tooth

Blue Tooth Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

No sorry I'm not muslim. I'm partially lebanese but christian, not muslim. I took the DAT back in June and it was hard and exhausting, but I have taken worse exams as an undergrad. The thing to remember is to either get plenty of rest before, or if you're like me and can get jacked off of all-nighters (or very little sleep) before big events, stay up. the best advice I can give you is to do as many practice tests as possible to get your timing and speed down. I know that really helped me in the reading and science sections. I finished the reading with over a half hour left and science with about 15. That gave me time to go back to all the questions I marked and I fixed a couple stupid mistakes and saved myself a couple of points. I applied to a fair number of schools; Michigan (where I'll be going), UNC, Iowa, UConn, Minnesota, Louisville, UCSF, and Buffalo. I interviewed at Mich, Minn, UNC, UConn, and was offered interviews (but didn't go) at Buffalo, Louisville, and UCSF. Best of luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

5. Buckyball

Buckyball Play with my "Buckyballs"
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    baccurso,

Any reason why you didn't apply to the University of Detroit Mercy? What are your thoughts on this university, as I see that you're in michigan.

Does it have a good reputation? Anything you can tell me would be great.

Buckyball :)

6. Blue Tooth

Blue Tooth Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

From what I hear, it's a very strong clinical school and they have a beautiful new building. The reason's I didn't apply are that I was seriously thinking about going out of state and if I stayed in state, Michigan was the only place I'd go. U of D just isn't for me, it doesn't offer me the things I want, plus it's a private school and also too expensive.