What's the worst that could happen?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Juis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am in some deep **** and need some advice please.

I took Step 1 a little over a month ago, after being forced by my school to take it with only 4 weeks of studying, and ended up failing by a couple points. (in case you're curious: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=828809)

I have to retake the exam, but the problem is, my school is again only giving me 4 weeks to study for the retake. I have tried bargaining with them for more time to study, but they won't budge. Their argument is "you're so close to the 188 passing score, all you need is 2 more points on your retake; the sooner you take it, the less material you'll forget".

I just spoke with the Dean at my school again today, and he threatened me with an ultimatum... "any more than 4 weeks and your case will be sent to the committee".

So, I'm wondering, I don't want to fail this a 2nd time and have to study for this a 3rd time. I just want to have the time that I need and deserve to study for this test and actually feel somewhat prepared walking into the Prometric center. I don't think I'll forget any material because I actually don't know the material well enough in the first place!

What's the worst that could happen if I delay my retake and my case gets sent to the committee or if the school gives me some disciplinary action? As far as I know, I have done nothing wrong because I just want some time to study. I'm not harming anyone or doing anything dishonest. I have already gotten a Leave of Absence approved, so I don't have to start rotations again until next summer. Please let me know your thoughts or opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

My guess is you could be dismissed for not complying with their step 1 policy. Add these next 4 weeks to your previous 4 weeks, forgetting about all the time in between the test and your score report and you have more time than most people to study for it. Study 12 hrs/day look into DIT, but if you are going to do DIT you need to sign up asap because it is an intensive program that is nearly impossible to compress.

I took Step 1 a little over a month ago, after being forced by my school to take it with only 4 weeks of studying, and ended up failing by a couple points. (in case you're curious: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=828809)

I have to retake the exam, but the problem is, my school is again only giving me 4 weeks to study for the retake. I have tried bargaining with them for more time to study, but they won't budge. Their argument is "you're so close to the 188 passing score, all you need is 2 more points on your retake; the sooner you take it, the less material you'll forget".

I just spoke with the Dean at my school again today, and he threatened me with an ultimatum... "any more than 4 weeks and your case will be sent to the committee".

So, I'm wondering, I don't want to fail this a 2nd time and have to study for this a 3rd time. I just want to have the time that I need and deserve to study for this test and actually feel somewhat prepared walking into the Prometric center. I don't think I'll forget any material because I actually don't know the material well enough in the first place!

What's the worst that could happen if I delay my retake and my case gets sent to the committee or if the school gives me some disciplinary action? As far as I know, I have done nothing wrong because I just want some time to study. I'm not harming anyone or doing anything dishonest. I have already gotten a Leave of Absence approved, so I don't have to start rotations again until next summer. Please let me know your thoughts or opinions.

Did you speak with the dean via email or something, or did you actually sit down and talk with him/her in person? If it's the former, maybe you should try to schedule a meeting with him or other relevant faculty. As with most things, you're likely to garner more sympathy if you talk face-to-face rather than electronically (not saying this will alter the outcome, but it doesn't generally hurt).

If you already met with him and he was this stern and unyielding, I would say go ahead and crack open FA tonight and get back on the saddle. Also, not sure where you're from, but I don't think there are any seats available to take the exam for the next month within 100+ miles of where I am. If this is the case for you as well, maybe you can use this as leverage in your plea.

Good luck.

Find someone chill to do research with and take 1 year off. Study consistently for as long as you need while doing a 3-4 hours of research a day :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all of the replies guys. I actually found a research lab got a LOA approved a few days ago, but they still want me to retake the exam in the next month. I went to their office in person, showed them my study plan and hours I would need to go through material, and begged them to give me more time. I ended up getting a 2 week extension... so it's 6 weeks now instead of 4. It's not great, but at least it's a little more time than I had before. Just gonna give it my all now and hope I not only pass but get above the national average. :xf:

Side note: I am really regretting my decision two years ago to go to this med school. I should have read the student handbook before deciding. :(

I'm glad you're making the best of your situation - 6 weeks should be more than adequate for you to study now that you have the time.

My advice is now to get off of SDN (unless you have NBME questions or something) and hit the books/qbanks! I managed to shoot my score from a 205 to a 251 in six weeks of dedicated studying, you can do it!

It's funny because a friend who also didn't pass told me he tried to get an extension but they would not budge. So you're not alone. Good luck!

Side note: I am really regretting my decision two years ago to go to this med school. I should have read the student handbook before deciding. :(