What's this my friends keep telling me about dentists having a high suicide rate? Is it true?

placebooooo

2+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
This is something I have been hearing here and there. One of my friends actually said he doesn't want to become a dentists anymore because of dental suicide rates being higher than any other medical profession. What 's this all about?

Sorry if I posted in wrong forums. Was just curious to ask.

Typical Average Student

5+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2014
Houston, TX
Status
Dental Student
I would assume you would also stop listening to country music because it also leads to many suicides....

Just because a profession may not be fit for someone else, doesn't mean it's not fit for you.

Reactions: Flower_Child

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist
You guys do know that there is reliable information available on the internet.

Jul 11, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Well that's a stupid reason for abandoning any great career. Even if there was evidence that would relate suicide to dentistry.(Which there is not)

Mascota

5+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2011
Status
Dental Student
Based off your friends ability to critically think, it's probably better if you just let him think that so he'll choose a different career.

Reactions: placebooooo

Mushibachan

2+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2015
Status
Dental Student
This is something I have been hearing here and there. One of my friends actually said he doesn't want to become a dentists anymore because of dental suicide rates being higher than any other medical profession. What 's this all about?

Sorry if I posted in wrong forums. Was just curious to ask.
It had a high suicide rate in the past, IDK about now.. My mom was at UCLA dental and she had 2 of her classmates commit suicide. I wouldn't let something like that bother you though. I had a few kids at my undergrad at Berkeley jump off their dorm balcony. If you feel like you are having a hard time once you get into dental school, then look for help in therapists, family or friends.

Last edited:

Promethean

Syncretist
5+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2014
Western PA
Status
Medical Student
Doctors, dentists, nurses, anyone who has studied anatomy and physiology to any degree has the knowledge to successfully commit suicide with a greater degree of certainty than the average layperson who may be depending on misinformation gleaned from any number of sources. Knowing how to make fire doesn't mean that you are doomed to burn your own house down.

Aug 19, 2015
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided), Pre-Dental, Pre-Medical
This annoys me so much. I've had a good handful of people ask, "why would you want to be a dentist?" And "dentists are miserable" and even have had some suggest becoming a doctor. there are a lot worse places where doctors fingers must go than someone's mouth. I'd much rather be a dentist! I've googled the dentist suicide thing, and it's total bs.

Aug 19, 2015
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided), Pre-Dental, Pre-Medical
. What they're referencing is a study many years old that showed that white male doctors (both physicians and dentists) had slightly higher suicide rates than other professions, but it was still like 2% or something really low
Interesting. I wondered where it started.

Dec 11, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
I would assume you would also stop listening to country music because it also leads to many suicides....

Just because a profession may not be fit for someone else, doesn't mean it's not fit for you.
I like country music :(