What's to do after I apply online to Walgreens?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poda521

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just called their district office for Delaware and said that majority of Delaware is on hiring freeze but there might be an opening in one region.

I already applied online months ago (updated it again today) but is there anything else I can do to get that opening?

Been searching for the past 5 months. If this doesn't pan out, it's either retake NAPLEX and move to another state or become a military pharmacist.

Members don't see this ad.

so are you not looking at other chains? With WAGS current financial state after the ESI fiasco I don't see a surge in WAGS hiring process.

so are you not looking at other chains? With WAGS current financial state after the ESI fiasco I don't see a surge in WAGS hiring process.

I talked with CVS recruiter and she said that there are no openings in the entire state but will forward my resume to another recruiter in the state.

I left a voicemail for one supermarket chain.

Uploaded resume onto Riteaid but whenever I call the district office there's no answer and no V/M option

Target...psssh. I can't even upload my resume without finding a location with an opening, or so it seems. Called a pharmacist for the district's number but she just referred to apply online.

Applied to Costco online.

Now I'm stuck contemplating if I should retake that frickin Naplex or wait some BS amount of time for a callback.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the point in re taking Naplex for a better score?

I don't think you need to retake naplex to be licensed in another state. transfer your naplex score and take the MPJE for that state.

Walgreens have across the board hiring freeze.
If any district sup wants to hire and can demonstrate the need they need to get special approval from higher ups.
I would say look for jobs other than retail .Retail is crazy.......It is not worth it.
Spend your energy finding a job in non retail setting.

Ahh! I feel so much for you right now. It seems like you're in the exact position I was in for so long and then I *finally* got a job offer last week. Maybe if I tell you what I did, that would help?

Unfortunately, I had applied to all the major chains, too, but I was getting nil response from anyone, either. I seriously don't know if it's just the market or no one looks at your online resume/application? :shrug: The only time I suspect applying online helped me was when I was contacted by a Target recruiter via email about a few positions and she said something along the lines that my "information was in the system" and if myself or anyone else would be interested in the position, to reply. So, I started emailing with her and she asked me for a phone interview. (It was a rough interview. Many questions and every pause felt long and awkward. Given the choice with in-person and phone interviews, always go with in-person! That's just my two cents!) I also showed up to all the local chain pharmacies and dropped off a cover letter tailored to them and a copy of my resume and asked them to give it to their DM. I can't say that helped much for me personally, either, but it might be something to try?

Another retail interview came when I called around to my local stores and found out that a grocery chain was hiring. The pharmacy manager gave me the hiring manager's name and number and it took some persistence to get in contact with him (for the first 3 - 4 times I called, he was either "busy" or "not in"), but when I finally did speak to him, he offered me an interview. I had applied online for the position, but I don't think I ever would have been contacted if I didn't call him. I then found out in the interview I was competing with at least one other person with 15 years+ experience, but, hey, I'm sure I learned something from that interview, even though it was disheartening I wasn't offered a position.

My next interview was at a hospital and it came through a recruiter who was local. It may have just been me, but I noticed a HUGE difference in dealing with a local recruiter versus those who are 10 states away. It only makes sense - someone local is probably going to have a better handle on what's going on and have more/better connections. He offered some really useful advice and gave me the inside scoop on what the employers were looking for. He was/is great. Unfortunately, I was runner-up in that interview and the hospital went with someone who had previous hospital experience. I was really crushed because I wanted the job so badly.

After that, I just started applying to any and everywhere because I knew soon I'd be competing with a whole new round of new grads (this was around the middle - end of January). I just went to indeed and simplyhired, typed in "pharmacist" and my state, then clicked "sort by date" and applied to EVERYTHING that had been recently posted. Even if it wasn't something that I thought sounded very great, or if it meant I'd have to relocate elsewhere in the state. I would get up early and do this every day and I tried always to apply to positions that had just been posted to get a good jump ahead of the competition. At this point I was panicking. I realized I was getting into a seriously dire situation because I had loans to pay on and the deferments were going to be up in a couple months!

Finally, finally, I received a call from a LTC pharmacy for an interview. Was that something I saw in my future? Possibly, but I didn't think I'd actually end up there. I had a little experience with LTC during one of my rotations and I really played that up in my interview, giving examples of how I intervened to improve the residents medication therapy and how I felt the position was very rewarding, which was how I truly felt - it just helps to say that out loud in the interview sometimes. I was much less nervous during this interview thanks to the previous ones, and after touring the pharmacy/speaking with the manager, I was VERY excited and I think that translated, because I was offered a job. Also during my interview, I made it abundantly aware that I was fine working ANY shift and that I was very flexible and would be happy with any hours I could get. I think that was also a real plus because my interviewer commented on how another candidate seemed very disinterested once they found out the schedule they'd be working.

The best advice I can give is just to apply any and everywhere and be open and flexible, even if you think maybe the job isn't something you initially saw yourself doing. I'm hoping all of this might help you out, or give you some hope. If I was able to find a job after a long, long search, I think you should be able to find one, also. :) I really hope things work out for you!

EDIT: Sorry this was so long. I really started out just wanted to share in your frustrations about how you hardly ever hear back when you apply online to retail/chain pharmacies (especially Wags - I had trouble hearing from them since I was an intern!) then I thought maybe I could help by sharing my experiences. I just know how frustrating it can be to be searching and searching and searching and waiting to hear back and wanted to help if I could.

Last edited:
poda521, BPharmD2011, did you guys have any prior (intern, since I'm assuming the two of you are both recent-ish graduates) work experience? Just curious...

You guys are making me think twice before I quit WAGS
I should be looking for non retail job really hard so I can get out of retail hell
Bpharmd2011 how long did it take for you to land a job?

Just called their district office for Delaware and said that majority of Delaware is on hiring freeze but there might be an opening in one region.

I already applied online months ago (updated it again today) but is there anything else I can do to get that opening?

Been searching for the past 5 months. If this doesn't pan out, it's either retake NAPLEX and move to another state or become a military pharmacist.

I would begin praying. The power of prayer is truly great.

other than that, expect the offer not to be full time. In the mean time i would retake naplex and get licensed elsewhere as a backup.

Congrats on the new updates!

The first answer that came to mind when I read the title of your thread was "time to lube yourself up real good"...

I don't think you need to retake naplex to be licensed in another state. transfer your naplex score and take the MPJE for that state.
I thought you need to elect to transfer your naplex score before you do the exam.

To transfer your license to a different state, they may require you to have your original license for a certain period of time, for example, up to 2 years.

I'm past the deadline of being able to transfer my score to another state. The deadline is 3 months after taking the test.

All states require some amount of pharmacist hours in order to apply. Since I do not have any pharmacist hours whatsoever, I can't reciprocate my license to another state.

@fuzzyfeet - i did work as an intern but only for 13 months. I basically have nothing on my resume other than that and the bunch of retail/hospital rotations i did.

@BPharmD2011 - i guess i can take some solace in knowing i wasn't the only one to go through this, lols. For the past 2 weeks, I went on indeed.com and did the exact same thing you did. Applied to everything and anything even though some of the postings were from 28+ days ago. Heck, I even called RPHonthego and they also told me that there are no retail jobs in the entire area, and didn't even bother to mention hospital since I have no experience other than 2 rotations at a hospital. It's been 5 months, 5 freaking months!!

I'm going insane from this stressful situation. At best, I guess I can give it till the end of the month otherwise I'm going to have to plunk down another couple hundred dollars in taking the Naplex. FML.

@Rph888 - i'm getting that same feeling in my gut like I got right before opening the envelope to see my naplex/mpje scores waiting for any email or call.

Members don't see this ad :)
lols...after 5 months of hard searching, at this point...i'd even consider working as a tech or intern

Dude its Delaware!?!? That state is so small you could spit across it! To apply fir a Job you just have to yell out your window since everything is within ear shot. You need to go some place bigger! Have you tried temp or per diem staffing agencies? Hell the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and most of north texas is super staurated. Yet I pick up a couple of shifts a mouth with a staffing agency and I just got a new job.

poda521, BPharmD2011, did you guys have any prior (intern, since I'm assuming the two of you are both recent-ish graduates) work experience? Just curious...

Recent-ish, yes. :laugh: I graduated in May 2011 and I had just a bit of intern experience outside of my IPPE hours. I worked briefly at CVS (briefly being about 2 months. I generally didn't care for the people I was working with and I've never really enjoyed retail), then I stayed on for a little while after my last rotation (which was at an independent) to help out at my preceptor's request.

I wish now I would have tried harder to get a job in hospital as an intern because I never liked working retail and that was the problem. Honestly, I didn't feel I knew enough to work in hospital until my first experience came during my IPPE's the year before my rotations. I loved it and I learned it was something I was capable of doing, I just didn't have a chance to get a hospital job before my rotations began. I did try to gear my rotations more to prepare me for work after graduation - I did 7 of 9 rotations in hospital, hoping that might be enough, but I still ran into some trouble.

You guys are making me think twice before I quit WAGS
I should be looking for non retail job really hard so I can get out of retail hell
Bpharmd2011 how long did it take for you to land a job?

I got my license in August 2011, and have been looking/applying consistently since I got my license - so about 6 months. It was a huge fault of my own not to begin looking before graduation and before I got my license. I didn't think employers would be very interested in someone without a license (very, very wrong thinking) and I also couldn't bare to think how humiliating it would be if I had a job all lined up and DIDN'T pass the NAPLEX. In retrospect, how foolish of me. I passed and was fine and would have been. I just didn't have enough confidence. And how humiliating has it been NOT having a job? Very.

I think you'll be in a much, much better situation since you do have work experience. That's what I kept hearing over and over - that I didn't have any experience as a pharmacist and was therefore automatically not being considered. Also, I don't know where you're at, but I am in Ohio and we've got 7 pharmacy schools and it's easy to reciprocate here, so I feel things are especially tight. I mean, I definitely know it's tight everywhere in pharmacy right now, it just seems like this has been so much more of a struggle than I ever imagined. Who knew the hardest times in life would come AFTER all the schooling, tests, rotations, and NAPLEX. Thankfully I had really supportive friends and family and I did finally get a job. I just feel for anyone else in this situation because it really sucks.

@BPharmD2011 - i guess i can take some solace in knowing i wasn't the only one to go through this, lols. For the past 2 weeks, I went on indeed.com and did the exact same thing you did. Applied to everything and anything even though some of the postings were from 28+ days ago. Heck, I even called RPHonthego and they also told me that there are no retail jobs in the entire area, and didn't even bother to mention hospital since I have no experience other than 2 rotations at a hospital. It's been 5 months, 5 freaking months!!

Yes, don't feel bad. You're not alone - as I said above, it took me 6 months of searching. It sounds like you're on the right track, just don't give up. I have full confidence that if I found something, you'll be able to find something also. I'll be thinking about you and wishing you the best. Please keep us posted and if you have any other questions about what I did, I'm here.

Also, some other search engines to try:
http://www.careerbuilder.com/
http://www.rxcareercenter.com/
http://www.rxinsider.com/
http://www.soliant.com/jobs/
http://armycivilianservice.usajobs.gov/ (Civilian Army jobs)

You may already know those, but just in case you don't, you can give them a try. :)

Last edited:
Good luck to you guys in your job hunting, the economy is now hard on all recent grad.

Any advise you guys have for current pharmacy students? what you wished to know while you were in school? how did you pay for school (was it hard to find scholarship)? was it hard to find an intern position? when should one search for a position (in your third year)? Is taking loan from pharmacy chains (like Walgreen education assistance loan) a good way to guarantee a position after school?

Thanks a lot.

@poda521: I wish you all the very best luck in your job search! I feel like I'm going to be in your same exact position as I'm graduating in May and in terms of experience, I've only worked in retail (still am!) and of course, it's for the very company that's currently scrambling over it's fallout with ESI. In regards to hearing back from WAGS, I'd just forget about them. Like what everyone else has said, things are super shaky as of now. Not sure how it is like in other areas, but I know in my district, they're thinking of hiring only a small % of the P4 interns. And I hear it's going be the upper corporate people whose deciding instead of the DM...

It was a huge fault of my own not to begin looking before graduation and before I got my license. I didn't think employers would be very interested in someone without a license (very, very wrong thinking) and I also couldn't bare to think how humiliating it would be if I had a job all lined up and DIDN'T pass the NAPLEX. In retrospect, how foolish of me.

@BPharmD2011: I've been stalking all the job postings as of now and am currently wondering if I should apply (graduating in May)...but everything I've come across always says, "State License Required." I know you said that not looking for jobs before grad played a big hand for you, but would employers really be genuinely interested? I know I should try to keep positive and be as pro-active as I can, but the gloomy thought of, "Why would they even bother looking at my resume when I don't have a license? Esp if they could hire someone else whose already a registered pharmacist" is constantly butting in :( So sorry for these questions...your posts have really been informative and helpful. I really appreciate them!

@lapaix: For me, it wasn't hard to find a (retail) intern position but then again, this was back in 2007 or so. I already had a contact and it just so happened that there was a store available that had just lost their senior tech, so they really needed help. I would really advise all pharmacy students to find internships ASAP (the earlier, the better!). Things aren't rosy right now and it's probably just to going to get worse.

As for taking loans from chains in order to be guaranteed a position, do it. I'm not saying take it for the full 4 years or whatever - sign up for at least 1 year just to get your foot in the door. It's not 100% guaranteed they'll hire you as a pharmacist afterwards (esp now), but you'd definitely be a lot safer. Besides, if you decide you don't want to stay with the chain, you can always just pay them back within the specific time requirement (again, this is with WAGS). I didn't take any $$ from WAGS and am really regretting it now - the upper corporate people have probably already tossed me out of the window in regards to job offers lol.

Last edited:
I know times are tough and we have to deal with whatever comes by, but this company is heading down the toilet. I would not walk but run away from any job at walgreens. Prepare to work by yourself doing 150 scripts/day with no tech....working the drive thrus...registers....phones...flu/pneumo/tdap shots...bp screenings...while managing all these metrics (35% waiter-rate, 15 minute per script, verified by promise time, etc)

@BPharmD2011: I've been stalking all the job postings as of now and am currently wondering if I should apply (graduating in May)...but everything I've come across always says, "State License Required." I know you said that not looking for jobs before grad played a big hand for you, but would employers really be genuinely interested? I know I should try to keep positive and be as pro-active as I can, but the gloomy thought of, "Why would they even bother looking at my resume when I don't have a license? Esp if they could hire someone else whose already a registered pharmacist" is constantly butting in :( So sorry for these questions...your posts have really been informative and helpful. I really appreciate them!

I don't mind your questions at all. :) I'm really happy to know you feel that my posts have helped you. It's been a bit embarrassing for me to put my experience out there, but I did it in the hopes it would help new grads avoid making the same mistakes I made so I appreciate knowing you appreciate my posts! :love:

I don't want to scare you or anyone, but it is a really tough market so I would definitely begin applying, or at least inquiring, about any jobs you see that you think you'd really like. I can't really attest to how interested employers would be in you (since you're unlicensed) because I chose to wait until I was licensed to apply, but I do think that there would definitely be interest there. Some postings may need filled immediately, but others may not be so urgent, so the employer would be able to wait until you're graduated and licensed, or maybe they might know of another, up-and-coming position that would be available. You just never know.

Another thing I haven't mentioned that I should have done a little more of was utilizing relationships I had made during my rotations. Don't be afraid to call or email past preceptors and ask if they have any positions opening where they work. I know I was tipped off to a few hospital position openings, by one of my preceptors, before they went public. At the time I was still in rotations, though, and didn't bother applying because I wasn't sure if I was really interested. Looking back, that might have been a golden opportunity.

Also, something that you might want to consider if you aren't having much luck once you start inquiring/applying to a few places is getting started forming some relationships with recruiters and letting them know you're going to be graduating in May and looking for a job after you take the NAPLEX in mid-July or August (or whenever you anticipate being licensed), and they can start looking around for you and seeing if anyone suspects to have any openings around the time you'll get licensed.

Also, DO NOT be intimidated by the qualifications. For my hospital interview, it said they were looking for people with minimum 3 years of hospital experience, when in truth, they were open to new grads. Not many postings I've seen have actually said they're ok with a new grad (some do, but most don't), most will list some sort of minimum requirement of experience. At first, I was shying away from several positions because I didn't think I was qualified/didn't have enough experience, but don't think that way. Don't count yourself out of any position. Go ahead and apply and if they aren't interested or you aren't qualified, they won't call. (And I do say all this knowing you'll use good judgement. Obviously you're not going to be able to get some ID pharmacist position requiring a PGY-2 residency in infectious disease - lol). It was once I really started applying to a wide range of jobs that I started getting more calls and generating some interest for myself.

Some applications do ask if you're licensed/require you to put your RPH license # in the application. For those, I think I might just call the pharmacy and speak with the hiring manager/district manager and tell them that you're interested in the position, you aren't licensed yet, but you will be soon and see if you can drop off a resume/cover letter to them or see if there's some way you can be considered for the position even though you don't have your license yet. I don't really have much more advice on this matter - maybe someone else can shed light and chime in with what they did if they started applying before they were licensed?

I hope this helped you again. And if you have any more questions, please ask. :) Also, congrats on being so close to graduation and good luck studying for the NAPLEX!

Thanks BPharmD2011 for your advice...I will graduate in 2013 but I am already thinking about ways to find a job!! I am hoping to get some contacts during my rotations! Knowing people is always good...

I want to stress this to pre pharmacy and pharmacy students. This has nothing to do with bad times. This has to do with a saturation of the market with students from diploma mills. Things will not get better unless we start closing down schools immediately.

I am in the NYC/Tri state market. We have two pharmacy schools (St Johns and LIU) that it can barely support. Now Touro will be graduating its first class this year. It does not take a genius to know what the implications are.

I have qualified students begging me for internships every week so they can get experience. My supervisor is getting FLOODED with applications for jobs every day. All of the jobs in the region are now filled.

I honestly feel bad for class of 2012 because not only will they be competing with their classmates, but pharmacists with years of experience and management skills.

This is not doom and gloom. It is reality and I wish I was exaggerating.

rather than make another topic...

I decided to study for the NAPLEX again. I want to get licensed in PA.

My question is, if anyone can help, can I apply to work as an intern for the state of PA while I study to become a pharmacist in PA? Will pharmacies allow this?

Barring that, yes I know, it is contingent upon the fact that pharmacy will have space for me as a pharmacist whenever I do get licensed.

rather than make another topic...

I decided to study for the NAPLEX again. I want to get licensed in PA.

My question is, if anyone can help, can I apply to work as an intern for the state of PA while I study to become a pharmacist in PA? Will pharmacies allow this?

Barring that, yes I know, it is contingent upon the fact that pharmacy will have space for me as a pharmacist whenever I do get licensed.

PA job market is extremely saturated right now...I live in PA and even students have hard time finding internships..

PA job market is extremely saturated right now...I live in PA and even students have hard time finding internships..

*sigh* I can't win...

Well, I'll do score transfer to PA/MD/WI/Illinois. Hoping that at the least, WI and Illinois should have openings for no-experience people

Thanks for letting me know the situation though minette

*sigh* I can't win...

Well, I'll do score transfer to PA/MD/WI/Illinois. Hoping that at the least, WI and Illinois should have openings for no-experience people

Thanks for letting me know the situation though minette

West Texas/hill country still have jobs, you just need to boldly do where no man has gone before. :laugh: seriously, be super flexible and you will find a job...cant say it will stay that way for long.

In WI, there might be openings in the north woods/Green Bay areas. The Milwaukee and Madison areas are fairly full.