• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

what's tougher to get into?

solar3000

10+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2008
  1. Pre-Medical
as everyone knows already, clinical psych programs are hard to get into.
i was curious to know how these programs compare with Neuropsychology PhD programs?
Which are tougher to get accepted to? why? what are the differences in acceptance?

erg923

Regional Clinical Officer, Centene Corporation
10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2007
  1. Psychologist
In the US at least, all neuropsychology programs are just specialty concentrations (or tracks) within clinical psychology Ph.D. programs. They are not separate programs from clinical psychology. They are one in the same. The only exception that I know of to this is Queens College which offers experimental and "clinical neuropsychology" doctoral programs proper. Neuropsychology as a specialty tends to be the most competitive after graduate school actually. This is because of the limited number of internships sites designated for providing formal post-doctoral training in neuropsychology. It is also competitve because it is arguably the most complex specialty within psychology and basically involves in depth knowledge of 2 separate disciplines: clinical psychology and neuroscience/neuroanatomy. It requires numerous skill sets, including competence in statistics, measurement, psychometrics, functional neuroanatomy, and knowledge of neurologic illness as well as psychiatric illness and the neuropathology underlying them.

JackD

-
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2007
-
  1. Attending Physician
It is also competitve because it is arguably the most complex specialty within psychology..... It requires numerous skill sets

You aren't kiddin', at least from what i have seen. I go to a major regional university with a massive psychology department. Out of all of the professors (there are a lot), there are only two neuropsychologists. They seem like the most knowledgeable about their area of study than any of the other professors. You can't stump them, they seem to know everything. Plus, their expertise isn't limited to the brain, they have a ton of knowledge of medicine and human anatomy. I have a class with one of these professors right now and i thought he was a psychiatrist at first, just based on the amount the kind of stuff he knew.

I would guess that your drive has to be even beyond the average clinical psychologist to want to become a neuropsychologist. It seems like a tough, complex, and competitive field.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.