what's typical takehome pay for interns after taxes/deductions/etc per month?

bulldog

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2002
Status (Visible)
can some current residents shed light on how much take home pay they get each month, as in the check that you deposit. assuming u're single and have to pay both state and national income taxes, i was wondering how much you got to take home from ur stated salary (i.e. 45k/year). thanks. i.e. 3k a month, 2.5 k, etc?

dc2md

10+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2006
Chicago(ish)land
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
thanks cchoukal. but i think we'd all (4th year med students) like to know how much people are taking home THEMSELVES. give us a little background too:

single, 1 exemption, state tax %, etc. = $$$$

married, one child, etc = $$$$

we'd really appreciate this guys. thanks.

About the Ads

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
thanks cchoukal. but i think we'd all (4th year med students) like to know how much people are taking home THEMSELVES. give us a little background too:

single, 1 exemption, state tax %, etc. = $$$$

married, one child, etc = $$$$

we'd really appreciate this guys. thanks.

What difference does it make to you to know what OTHER people are taking home? Why not just calculate what you'll be taking home?:confused:

Anyway, if it helps, my gross salary is a little over $57K per year; single, no children, standard deductions and each paycheck (bimonthly) is a little over $1600. This does not include the variable amount I make when I moonlight (once or twice a month...which generally adds a couple thousand to my take home).

dc2md

10+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2006
Chicago(ish)land
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
i guess you're right kimberli. i was trying to get the answer from others instead of figuring it out myself. btw, bimonthly means once every two months, biweekly means once every two weeks.

Mumpu

Burninator, MD
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2004
Status (Visible)
Expect about 2,800 per month takehome as an intern (less if you do not own your place, more if you have kids).

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
i guess you're right kimberli. i was trying to get the answer from others instead of figuring it out myself. btw, bimonthly means once every two months, biweekly means once every two weeks.

D'oh...of course it does. Thanks for catching that! Wouldn't that be horrible to only be paid every two months!? :)

The link to the calculator above is fairly accurate, even with using the default state tax rate.

yaah

Boring
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Fixing in 10% neutral buffered formalin
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
First year I made 2770/month (after deductions for health insurance, parking, dental), can't remember second year, this year it's about 2990. Standard resident salary I guess. We get some things to supplement salary (like meal cards) which add up but are not included in that figure.

Igor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2005
Sorry but I have to chime in. Did internship last millenium.

1822 dollars and 23 cents the first business day of every month.

The pay really does get better after training ends.

Those were some great times and wonderful people - don't get me wrong. It was a great residency, but I was poor during that time.

HannahDH

Immunologist
10+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2007
New Jersey
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
The pay does go up after your internship, you'll get quite a jump as a resident. Upon finish the residency, you'll do just fine.
During internship, most folks mainly consolidate rather than trying to pay it off ASAP. It takes awhile before you can pay it off, I'd worry about living expenses first :)

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.