OSUkid

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Oct 27, 2014
Gotham
Hows it going fellow pre-dents? Hows classes, hows life, hows tooth knockn?
On a serious note why for pre dents its more.....
more shadowing hours=150 hours, less volunteering hours=maybe 50-100.

But for pre meds its
more volunteering hours=200 hours, less shadowing hours=40 hours.
I hope your classes are going well, and for those of you who applied have fun.
Thanks.

Reactions: Shell_Eau

darknightzzz

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Aug 4, 2014
Orange, CA
Status
Pre-Dental

But for pre meds its
Thanks.
for pre med, there are different factors too, research and volunteer need to be top notch, its regular to see applicant with 1000 hours in each. it is just the nature of the profession I think.

in medicine, it is the norm to serve the less fortunate, to live for another, to sacrifice = more volunteer. medical schools don't actually require shadowing since if you volunteer in a hospital setting, you pretty much know what you get into

in dentistry, not a lot of people know they can work with their hands twisted and turned for a career hence more shadowing to know this. since it is still a health profession, volunteering as a form of giving back is recommended but not emphasized that much.

OP
OSUkid

OSUkid

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Oct 27, 2014
Gotham
for pre med, there are different factors too, research and volunteer need to be top notch, its regular to see applicant with 1000 hours in each. it is just the nature of the profession I think.

in medicine, it is the norm to serve the less fortunate, to live for another, to sacrifice = more volunteer. medical schools don't actually require shadowing since if you volunteer in a hospital setting, you pretty much know what you get into

in dentistry, not a lot of people know they can work with their hands twisted and turned for a career hence more shadowing to know this. since it is still a health profession, volunteering as a form of giving back is recommended but not emphasized that much.
Very intuitive, I was thinking the same. You didnt answer the question about tooth knockn.why?

darknightzzz

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Aug 4, 2014
Orange, CA
Status
Pre-Dental
Very intuitive, I was thinking the same. You didnt answer the question about tooth knockn.why?
lol i don't know anything about him.

given the ultra competitive of med school admission, quota system, and other factors, it is not surprising that there is no guaranteed formula for admission. research is so emphasized during med school admission and in order to stand out, you should strive to have a coauthorship publication (which will take a lot of time on your end plus your lab environment if you are lucky)

however, i think it is ridiculous to see pre-meds sacrifice their youth to do volunteer, research, and study and no fun.

sorry, i used to be a premed and was in the same situation until I realize life is so sad for me to live and look for another career.

OP
OSUkid

OSUkid

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Oct 27, 2014
Gotham
I certainly understand why there would be a difference in shadowing expectations, but I don't buy the reasoning for the discrepancy in volunteerism. Where are you getting this information, @OSUkid ? If this is true, well, that is pretty lame.

In my opinion, pre-dents should do MORE community service because most dentists do their work out in their patients' community. Private-practice dentists rely on community respect to stay afloat. On the other hand, the work of hospitalists is much less dependent on their personal relationships to the community.
Based on SDN, and the DATA shows almost all pre dents emphasize substantially more shadowing than volunteering,and vice versa for pre meds.

OP
OSUkid

OSUkid

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Oct 27, 2014
Gotham
lol i don't know anything about him.

given the ultra competitive of med school admission, quota system, and other factors, it is not surprising that there is no guaranteed formula for admission. research is so emphasized during med school admission and in order to stand out, you should strive to have a coauthorship publication (which will take a lot of time on your end plus your lab environment if you are lucky)

however, i think it is ridiculous to see pre-meds sacrifice their youth to do volunteer, research, and study and no fun.

sorry, i used to be a premed and was in the same situation until I realize life is so sad for me to live and look for another career.
I dont think it sucks. In the past when people truly had a passion for medicine they devote their lives to it, now its all about "hey maybe I should do pre med" and people complain about the work. However, I understand your POV and sort of agree of how competitive it has gotten.
Also tooth knockn is a helluva guy.

tooth knockn

Treat others how you want to be treated
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2012
NY
Status
Pre-Dental

But for pre meds its
Thanks.

Omg

Leave tooth knockn alone....

And why are you worried about pre-med ewww!

IMO
Shadowing hours is more important to pre-dents... Due to the fact that Dentistry is a fast paced career and program. And it is much more personal.... Hands in other people's mouths, the first day you see them....!

Meaning....

MD's is pretty slow when it comes to hands on stuff..... And shadowing a doctor would not allow a pre-med student to see all the doctor stuff fast.... But in a hospital..... There are a lot of MD Doctors, and one could really see the work of an MD.....

For a pre-dent,

Who does not sure he or she wants to do... The exposure to the hospital setting and dentist shadowing... Will shake the pre-dents bush and ensure the path he or she is taking/choosing by experiencing these exposures...

Osukid, are you leaving us?

tooth knockn

5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2012
NY
Status
Pre-Dental
Yo
Osu

What's up with ya man
Kanye?

He wants to be president?

Lost yeezus can't even think or look or stand straight !

OP
OSUkid

OSUkid

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Oct 27, 2014
Gotham

Omg

Leave tooth knockn alone....

And why are you worried about pre-med ewww!

IMO
Shadowing hours is more important to pre-dents... Due to the fact that Dentistry is a fast paced career and program. And it is much more personal.... Hands in other people's mouths, the first day you see them....!

Meaning....

MD's is pretty slow when it comes to hands on stuff..... And shadowing a doctor would not allow a pre-med student to see all the doctor stuff fast.... But in a hospital..... There are a lot of MD Doctors, and one could really see the work of an MD.....

For a pre-dent,

Who does not sure he or she wants to do... The exposure to the hospital setting and dentist shadowing... Will shake the pre-dents bush and ensure the path he or she is taking/choosing by experiencing these exposures...

Osukid, are you leaving us?

No, I like to have a broad understanding. Plus is it not interesting how it is flipped. Plus your a bear.

tooth knockn

5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2012
NY
Status
Pre-Dental
The number of hours are far less significant than what is done during those hours and I think anyone can see through stat padding on an application. I don't think we need to worry about what other people claimed to have done for "x" number of hours as long as we did something meaningful for "y" number of hours.

What?!

Reactions: OSUkid
OP
OSUkid

OSUkid

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Oct 27, 2014
Gotham
The number of hours are far less significant than what is done during those hours and I think anyone can see through stat padding on an application. I don't think we need to worry about what other people claimed to have done for "x" number of hours as long as we did something meaningful for "y" number of hours.
LoL what?
Based on the data these are facts for almost all applicants. No one is padding the application ,this how most applicants number of hours turn out to be between the two divisions.

darknightzzz

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Aug 4, 2014
Orange, CA
Status
Pre-Dental
its very easy to notice application padding but unfortunately, qualified applicants don't pad their resume. they just volunteer like 4 hrs a week for 3 years thats already more than 1000 hrs.

Last edited:
Reactions: A Pre-dent
OP
OSUkid

OSUkid

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Oct 27, 2014
Gotham
its very easy to notice application padding but unfortunately, qualified applicants don't pad their resume. they just volunteer like 4 hrs a week for 3 years thats already more than 1000 hrs.
What made you change from pre med to pre dent?
Also coming from pre med do you feel more confident in getting accepted to dental schools since some load has been relieved from factors such as studying for a 7 hour exam which covers multiple subjects, research, being leader of a club, etc.

I was never a true pre med, but I sure do feel a bit more relieved and confident from the pre dent perceptive opposed to when I thought about becoming pre med

Dont get it twisted, if I put my mind to it I can try for medical school however, modern day medicine just is not appealing. I supposed even 500-100 years ago it wasnt appealing either, I read a book by Avicenna the cannon of medicine. He mentions he sees patient everyday all day and barely has time to eat. I know it is a bit different now, but as a doctor I dont want to commit only to medicine.
I feel as though dentistry allows me more time for family, friends, life etc, also open to ground breaking research in a variety of subjects besides med related , as well has having time for hobbies etc. so I feel so much more relieved.

Last edited:

darknightzzz

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Aug 4, 2014
Orange, CA
Status
Pre-Dental
What made you change from pre med to pre dent?
Also coming from pre med do you feel more confident in getting accepted to dental schools since some load has been relieved from factors such as studying for a 7 hour exam which covers multiple subjects, research, being leader of a club, etc.

I was never a true pre med, but I sure do feel a bit more relieved and confident from the pre dent perceptive opposed to when I thought about becoming pre med
actually, I went as far as taking the MCAT, it was shorter than the DAT back then, and applied to DO school (verbal english second language, this really hinders non native reader as it is not reading comprehension but something else), got 5 DO interviews at the end of my junior year. I dropped all interviews didnt attend any. my parents were on fire and raging. took me a year to switch to pre-dent and now im applying with a gap year

the reason I switched was i feel my choice of medicine was largely influenced by my parents and I didn't really do it for myself. the undergrad i went to was pre med crazy and their bio/chem majors start out as all pre med. and having a pre med sister who is now at a US MD school really give me a tunnel vision. So i guess i got stuck in the competition and trying to prove myself without really trying to find something for myself. I got really involved in research though and landed a coauthorship on a big name journal that almost everyone has come across. idk if it counts or not for dental school.

I guess pre dent you feel more relieved because of the lack of type A super overachiever super gunner that you will encounter on the pre med side. Other than that, the dental side seems more humble to me :)