Whats up NOVA DENTAL FIRST YEARS!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

novabarby

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm going to be a first year Dental student at Nova Southeastern University...and I can't wait to move out to Florida in a couple of weeks and meet everyone! I'm from California and just graduated from UCLA two weeks ago. Anyways, this is my first posting on this site :) Just wanted to start meeting some of the people in my class, and maybe we could all start talking! See you all soon!

Members don't see this ad.

How ya doin? I'll be joining you in the fall and am getting ready as well. Its a little scary! When are you moving down?

Hey! I'll be a first year too. I'm moving from the west coast too. I'm driving there next week. :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey fellow D1s!!!

Im so glad that you guys replied to my post haha! I am moving down July 17th, got my apartment and everything. I'm flying over...I thought about driving. That is going to be a great adventure...let me know how it goes! I am also a little bit nervous, but mostly just really excited to meet everyone and get started! Maybe we could all meet up and hang out before school starts... :) keep in touch!

flossin' said:
Hey! I'll be a first year too. I'm moving from the west coast too. I'm driving there next week. :eek:

Hey, I'm thinking about driving down to Florida from California too! How long did you calculate it's going to take you? It's either drive down or pay ~$1000 to ship my car down there. Still deciding....

novabarby said:
Hey fellow D1s!!!

Im so glad that you guys replied to my post haha! I am moving down July 17th, got my apartment and everything. I'm flying over...I thought about driving. That is going to be a great adventure...let me know how it goes! I am also a little bit nervous, but mostly just really excited to meet everyone and get started! Maybe we could all meet up and hang out before school starts... :) keep in touch!

You didn't interview on Feb 10 did you? You sound like one of the people I interviewed with. Either way, good luck with your move and I'll see all of you soon. I've lived in South Florida for the last 5 years and I love it.

Now if I can just figure out how to pay for dental school?

I'm figuring it to take 3-4 days and cost like $600 in gas. I would like to ship it but I think it costs more than $1000 and I heard that a lot of time it gets delayed and its just a hassle. (like driving across country isn't :confused: ) I'll be there in mid July. Where are you all living? I'm at Palm Trace Landings.

Yea...I did interview Feb 10 I'm pretty sure...who is this again? Do you remember a girl named Belisa? She is going to be my roomate....she got in and decided to go too! We are both so excited. Yay, our interview group rocked haha! We are living in Sunforest apartments... :)

I'm moving down the weekend of the 7th and am nowhere near packed. The next two weeks are going to be crazy! I can't wait to meet everyone!

novabarby said:
Yea...I did interview Feb 10 I'm pretty sure...who is this again? Do you remember a girl named Belisa? She is going to be my roomate....she got in and decided to go too! We are both so excited. Yay, our interview group rocked haha! We are living in Sunforest apartments... :)

I was the last guy to interview that day. I can't remember everyones' names but I think there were two girls from california interviewing that afternoon. My initial thought was that you were the girl who was visiting her grandparents in Delray.

Do you remember one of the girls, Nandita? She got in too and is also going. Was Belisa the one who had been accepted to UF as well? I guess that means that at least 4 of the 7 of us who interviewed that afteroon got in. Congratulations!

I'm moving down around late July, finding out where I live this Saturday, and still working out how to pay for school. If anyone needs a roomate or know someone who does, just let me know because I'll have an extra room in a 2/2 condo, hopefully right across the street at Sundance (looking to buy here) but if not, within minutes from school. I just wanna be able to roll out of bed and walk to class!

Hey guys! I'm going to be joining you guys the last week of July. I'll be living at Palm Trace too! I'm always down to hanging out, so I'm hoping I get to meet you all soon after moving there. I'm a little nervous since I graduated last December and havn't studied in 8 months, but I'm sure it will all be fine. :D

HEY EVERYONE! :)

I created a Nova CDM 2010 group on Facebook...Join the site ASAP lol... There are 20 other D1s in the group....the more the better!!

PS...If anyone is down here already or moving soon, I went to Nova undergrad so I can help you guys check out the area... aka the hotspots for partying...I m down to hang out too..AIM me at Heat219 or David Altman on Facebook

Members don't see this ad :)
novabarby said:
I just moved down last week. I'm directly across from the school as well in SunForest (building 22). :thumbup:

Hey guys,

I will definitely look for that facebook group! My screen name is bruinhottie18 and I'm also on myspace (Barbara Kane is the name)...so definitely contact me and we can all start talking. I'll be moving down to beautiful Ft. Lauderdale July 17 and can't wait to go out...we've got 2 weeks or so before school starts so that should be fuuuuun! Also, I turn 22 August 4th, the Friday of orientation week, so we should get the class together for that...it would be fun!!!! :)

What's up guys, my name is Shawn and I am also a D1. I live out here in Ft. Lauderdale, just finished my master's, and getting ready for NOVA. I am currently in San Diego,CA visiting family and friends, but will be back July 20th. I am looking forward to meeting all of you guys. I am actually moving in with a D2 and another D1 at University Parc residences near sun forest, and I am looking to get rid of some furniture that I don't need. If you guys are looking for some furniture for dirt cheap and in very good condition post me a message or email me at [email protected].

I'm looking for furniture...what do you have???

LJTROJAN said:
What's up guys, my name is Shawn and I am also a D1. I live out here in Ft. Lauderdale, just finished my master's, and getting ready for NOVA. I am currently in San Diego,CA visiting family and friends, but will be back July 20th. I am looking forward to meeting all of you guys. I am actually moving in with a D2 and another D1 at University Parc residences near sun forest, and I am looking to get rid of some furniture that I don't need. If you guys are looking for some furniture for dirt cheap and in very good condition post me a message or email me at [email protected].

Hey guys,
Do you know if Nova offers any place on the internet or if there are any other means of contacting potential roomates (dental students?)?

Just posted on there, thanks...

Hey guys I'm the vice-president of the class of 2009, so I'll be seeing you guys a lot probably for the first few weeks. If you guys have any questions you can send me an email at [email protected], my name is Jesse. I'll try to help you guys out with your questions, but no promises since I'm stuying pretty hard for the upcoming boards. Anyways congrats, you guys will love Nova, its awesome. So good luck with preparing for school and see you soon.

jmjfb23 said:
Hey guys I'm the vice-president of the class of 2009, so I'll be seeing you guys a lot probably for the first few weeks. If you guys have any questions you can send me an email at [email protected], my name is Jesse. I'll try to help you guys out with your questions, but no promises since I'm stuying pretty hard for the upcoming boards. Anyways congrats, you guys will love Nova, its awesome. So good luck with preparing for school and see you soon.
JJ: get back to studying! You better get that 90 boy!

Yah-E said:
JJ: get back to studying! You better get that 90 boy!

I'm working on, I have 3 more weeks til the big day, any last minute advice, by the way how's LSU treating you, I'm sure it's pretty awesome if you started already. Don't forget to save a spot on the couch for me next summer for about three weeks, hopefully, ha.

Anybody get the info packet on instruments/computer yet?

gator1210 said:
Anybody get the info packet on instruments/computer yet?

I got an email from Margie today, 07/10/2006 saying that she was going to send out some stuff tomorrow... maybe it is the info packet you are referring to.

I have brown leather sofas (2-seater and 3-seater), glass dining table with four chairs (white), a 22" color tv, a brand new microwave, a decorative floor lamp, wooden coffee table with matching end tables(2), e-mail me if you are interested, you can stop by and take a look.

novabarby said:
I'm looking for furniture...what do you have???

xTonEx said:
I got an email from Margie today, 07/10/2006 saying that she was going to send out some stuff tomorrow... maybe it is the info packet you are referring to.

came yesterday

yup, the $7,000 and something "student-kit" package....I love these bills.

dexadental said:
yup, the $7,000 and something "student-kit" package....I love these bills.
Ya, I about cried! How are the rest of you planning to pay for all these extra bills? In that e-mail we recieved the expenses with tuition add up to almost 50 grand and that doesn't even include living expenses. Online it says I've been approved for $38,500 I think in Federal loans. Where do the rest of you plan to get the rest? PLUS loans, private loans, daddy? Have any of you called the financial aid office and asked for their advice? :scared:

yo guys what's up. i'm a second year here at nova. my name's kevin. if you guys have any questions just approach us (we're in dark blue scrubs), our class is extremely cool. get ready for a ride though. basic advice: do not procrastinate! i've seen people get burned by it. just keep on top of things and it will go more or less smoothly. good luck everyone!

Great!....Nova slapped on another "dental tech charge" of 3070 dollars. They dont bother to tell us this during the interview or post it online bc they are afraid you will go to another school, only until a few days before classes start, they shaft us. Hopefully that charge isnt semesterly

Is this blackmail or something like that. Whats stopping them from putting a 5 grand "cafeteria charge" on that.

Check yalls account summeries. Im so f****** furious right now. :mad:

Express your rage against the machine. Let me know how you feel.

total bs

Are you sure that's not the laptop and books? I think that's what it is...

They should let us know what these things are.

coral2005 said:
Are you sure that's not the laptop and books? I think that's what it is...

They should let us know what these things are.

I hope so, I assumed it wasnt bc the instruments arent on that list.

Lets pray. ( they need a smiley that is a muslim guy praying)

gator1210 said:
Great!....Nova slapped on another "dental tech charge" of 3070 dollars. They dont bother to tell us this during the interview or post it online bc they are afraid you will go to another school, only until a few days before classes start, they shaft us. Hopefully that charge isnt semesterly

Is this blackmail or something like that. Whats stopping them from putting a 5 grand "cafeteria charge" on that.

Check yalls account summeries. Im so f****** furious right now. :mad:

Express your rage against the machine. Let me know how you feel.

total bs

Get used to this :) Just think, "your D1 BBQ" used to be funded by the incoming D1 students. I, with the D2 class president, changed that last year... thought that fee sucked. We kind of feel that not everybody should be charging you hidden fees the first day of school :)

No, but seriously, I believe the tech fee includes the laptop ~2000 and the vitalsource ~1000 which is the dvd textbooks. I have heard mixed reviews on the vitalsource, but we shall see after this year if students like them or else we'll take it on student government level.

P.S. you'll see me during your white coat ceremony, I'm student body president ;)

-Mike

Hey Mike, where is the white coat ceremony going to be at? And do you know if we get scrubs the first day of orientation and have to start wearing them then? What is the dress code at orientation?

Yeah, how does the scrubs thing work? The orientation schedule says that scrubs/labcoats are distributed on Friday... but I haven't seen anything to order them with.

The labcoat order form is on the NSUCDM webpage: http://dental.nova.edu/orientation/forms/labcoat.pdf
You can also order by phone, I think... Just call Uniforms for America at the number listed on the form above.

I don't think there is a scrub order form. You have to purchase them on your own. I ordered mine on the internet from www.mynursinguniforms.com. Some D2s will probably want to sell theirs to our class...so you might want to just wait to see what you'll get from them. Just make sure you get Hunter Green, which is the color for the first year.

I remember hearing/reading somewhere that the "attire" for orientation is business casual. I don't think you have to wear scrubs or anything during that first week.

As far as where to report for Orientation, the schedule says Assembly Building, North Atrium Area at 8 AM for a continental breakfast. I assume you can just show up at the main entrance and you can ask from there...or you'll find other people who know where they're going. The schedule for orientation is here: http://dental.nova.edu/orientation/forms/schedule.pdf

See you guys soon..

Yeah, I've ordered the labcoats.

I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything... to me "scrubs & Labcoats distribution" made it sound like we were supposed to order scrubs or something.

yo do not order scrubs. you have to buy them on your own. you can wear scrubs as soon as you get them. it's great...like wearing pajamas to school.

QUDMD said:
yo do not order scrubs. you have to buy them on your own. you can wear scrubs as soon as you get them. it's great...like wearing pajamas to school.

They can order scrubs through school, they are just crappy scrubs. I recommend going to allheart.com. They are nicer scrubs and are much cheaper. Also, don't wear your scrubs to orientation, you will look silly. Dress business casual during orientation and then the first day of class is when you wear your scrubs.

yeah sorry, that's right. u will look silly if u wear scrubs the first day of orientation. business casual is the way to go during orientation. i got my scrubs from a mall in hialeah, but if u don't know the area it's a pain to get to and far away.okay guys good luck!

QUDMD said:
yeah sorry, that's right. u will look silly if u wear scrubs the first day of orientation. business casual is the way to go during orientation. i got my scrubs from a mall in hialeah, but if u don't know the area it's a pain to get to and far away.okay guys good luck!

does anybody know the absence policy? I want to miss Jan 2 and Jan 3rd because my family is going to South Africa, and I wanna go.

gator1210 said:
does anybody know the absence policy? I want to miss Jan 2 and Jan 3rd because my family is going to South Africa, and I wanna go.

Its pretty slack, just tell the instructors well before and you should be cool.

Wow, you weren't kidding! Allheart has a huge selection. Any suggestions on what brand to get, especially for us girls.

mccarth2 said:
Wow, you weren't kidding! Allheart has a huge selection. Any suggestions on what brand to get, especially for us girls.

For the guys, i like the cherokee or landau. Cherokee has a good deal on the cargo pant sets for like 16 bucks, thats an amazing deal. For girls, who knows, I see girls in my class with pin stripes, flared pants, loopy tie around strappy stuff, you name it they got it. Its like a fashion show.

JRogoff said:
For the guys, i like the cherokee or landau. Cherokee has a good deal on the cargo pant sets for like 16 bucks, thats an amazing deal. For girls, who knows, I see girls in my class with pin stripes, flared pants, loopy tie around strappy stuff, you name it they got it. Its like a fashion show.

Hilarious! :laugh:

Everyone ready for tomorrow?

Hi Everyone,

I will be attending NOVA Optometry in Fall 2007 and I was wondering if ANY of you have had luck in buying an apartment in the Davie area or around NOVA. If so, PLEASE PM me - I am desperately looking to buy a "newer" place -- one that has hopefully been built in the last 10 years. If you have any info about apartment complexes with preferably a 1/1 but a 2/2 will do as well that will be great - I'll take any advice I can get.

I've been trying to look in Royal Grand, Rolling Hills, and University Parc but haven't found too much out there. If any of your friends are selling please let me know!

Thanks!

hey all.....i didn't have time to read through all the threads tonight (I will come back tomorrow to read them though)....anways, I will be a D1 as well. Have any of you joined the facebook group we have? If not, here is the link. We have been discussing a lot of the same things as you all have. It would be nice to link all of us together.

http://wingate.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2254969273