what's up with all the on-call room hooking up on medical tv shows?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sisko

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know, it's hollywood and sex sells, but why specifically doctors and nurses as the horniest people on tv? it seems to happen way more on medical shows than on most other types of genre shows... on cop shows you don't see them hooking up in the squad car or at the precinct... it doesn't seem to happen as much on lawyer shows...

Members don't see this ad.

i know, it's hollywood and sex sells, but why specifically doctors and nurses as the horniest people on tv? it seems to happen way more on medical shows than on most other types of genre shows... on cop shows you don't see them hooking up in the squad car or at the precinct... it doesn't seem to happen as much on lawyer shows...

It really doesn't happen as much as people suggest on these shows. It definitely isn't common on scrubs, it may have happened a few times on House but over the course of 8 or whatever seasons, that's not that surprising. Grey's has had a lot, but Grey's entire show is all about personal relationships in a hospital so they play up sex since that's what viewers like to see when romance is involved (to be honest, I think people exaggerate how much is on this show as well, it's simply memorable since it's odd). St. Elsewhere definitely didn't have that problem, and ER didn't either.

Members don't see this ad :)
Because Grey's Anatomy is a soap opera appealing to women.

Or you could psychoanalyze it and come to the conclusion that women want to feel powerful (which is why there are so many female doctors on the show) but they also want to be dominated (which is why those female doctors are almost exclusively with male doctors who are more powerful than they are), and this show does that quite well with a mixture of both. The entire show is symbolic for the sexual dilemma that women feel in a relationship so scenes of sex must be included.

Or women watching the show just like seeing in shape men without their shirts.

:confused:

Because it's a bed and people are nearby. If there was a bed built into cop cars I'm sure we would see more cop car sex scenes.

Or you could psychoanalyze it and come to the conclusion that women want to feel powerful (which is why there are so many female doctors on the show) but they also want to be dominated (which is why those female doctors are almost exclusively with male doctors who are more powerful than they are), and this show does that quite well with a mixture of both. The entire show is symbolic for the sexual dilemma that women feel in a relationship so scenes of sex must be included.

:rolleyes:

I think it's fairly cheap to say that "women" "want" to be dominated, rather than asking why TV shows are written as if this were true. In my (limited, anecdotal) experience, a lot of women think they want to be dominated, and then find out they don't like it terribly much when they get their wish! Not to mention that, as usual, saying stuff like "women" want a thing ignores, say, queer women and whatever the heck we're supposed to want.

----

As re: sex on TV shows, maybe it's all going back to that 70s book, House of God? And probably General Hospital, too, but I have yet to watch a soap opera that didn't revolve around implausible sex between implausibly good looking people.

What about the lesbians?