What's up with AMCAS GPA calculation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AF1892

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Why is AMCAS's cumulative gpa calculation not even mathematically correct? It is LOWER than my real gpa! Anyone else notice this?

Members don't see this ad.

Double check your entries.... academic year, number of classes, units, etc....

is it becaues you included classes that you took not in your current college?

if so, adding classes from other schools that usually aren't added to your gpa at your current school are factored in for the AMCAS gpa.

In my case, because of the community college classes I took in high school! my GPA got a a little boost up :D

Members don't see this ad :)
did your school offer +/- grades that counted for more in your college's GPA than AMCAS weighs them?

this is why AMCAS calculates their own GPA, to standardize the different ways every school calculates GPA's and assigns points in various ways for the same grades. my AMCAS gpa turned out to be identical to that calculated by my school, but that was only because my school assigned the same number of points per grade as does AMCAS--meaning, same grading scale.

but you're not the only one in this boat and unless you actually entered something in your coursework incorrectly, the AMCAS software is supposed to do this.

I had this experience too until I went back and checked the info for each class, clicking the edit button, etc. On quite a few of my classes the program had not automatically entered an "AMCAS grade" after I entered my OT (original transcript) grade, as it is supposed to do. I'm sure that in the "processing" of a submited app, AMCAS would eventually catch the error, but who knows how long it would take them? I'm glad I fixed it myself before submitting.

hey i had a problem. My GPA at the end on my transcript from my school had the GPA as a 3.29 however, on my AMCAS entry for that specific school the GPA was 3.30

I went to the dean at my school and he said that all schools dont round up GPAS. they just "lop them off"

anyone else notice this problem?

At my college, a grade of B+ is considered a 3.5, but for AMCAS it's 3.3. So my GPA on the application is lower than on my transcript.

So, does anyone know how AAMC figures out recalculates grades which are given purely on a .5 scale? That is, at my school (Michigan State University), we get 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0.... that's it. No 3.75's or anything. If anyone knows let me know

leon

as an example

UCLA

this is our scale

A+ = 4.0
A=4.0
A-=3.7
B+=3.3
B=3.0
B-=2.7
C+=2.4
C=2.7
C-=1.7

personally, during my years at UCLA, my gpa was 3.67. I had 11 A-s and two B+s....when I applied to texas schools...since Texas doesnt have a -/+ system...my overall gpa jumped to 3.78 :D nice eh?

for AMCAS, since I took comm college classes over the summer and during high school...those grades that weren't previously added, were now added :D
so my science is 3.75 and overall is 3.71..and all this time I thought I was doing awful in school for getting a crappy 3.67.... :rolleyes: :p