Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Whats up with KCOM's name change

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by s42brown, Nov 13, 2002.

1. s42brown

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I have an interview at KCOM on the 22nd of November and have recieved a flier in the mail asking me to choice from a list of six for seven names that might take the place of Kirksville College of Osteopathic medicine. I think it is about time, considering all of the different masters programs that KCOM offers. How about Still university of health sciences;) ;) ;)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. drusso

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What were some of the choices??

4. s42brown

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I sent in the flyer so I don't remember all of the names but I think they were,

Still University of Health Sciences
    Andrew Still University
    Andrew Still University of Health Sciences
    Kirksville university of health sciences
    with a couple of more similar names

They also had a write in section for any suggestions. I also went to visit KCOM about a month ago and talked to one of the admissions counselors about the change and they felt very confident that the change was in the not so distant future.

:)

5. rbassdo

rbassdo newly hindu
    7+ Year Member

I am a MS-1 at KCOM and they had us take a survey earlier this year on the name change. In August, they had us choose between Still University, American University, and The National University. There may have been one more, but I can't remember. Rumor has it, they've already settled on Still.

6. s42brown

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Still University, huh, it has a nice ring to it:D

7. AviatorDoc

AviatorDoc fizz ee at' rist
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think the name is AT Still University of Health Sciences. Really, the only purpose of it is to unite the affiliated schools (School of Health Management and the Arizona School of Health Sciences) under the umbrella of KCOM and osteopathic medicine. KCOM is still KCOM. The degree will be valid from KCOM, and we'll be graduating from KCOM. As far as the DO program is concerned, it's almost a footnote.

8. Castro Viejo

Castro Viejo Papa Clot Buster
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    All this name changing is silly.

Will the two other schools affilaited with KCOM all of a sudden develop a greater love if there was one name to unite all of them? Will KCOM students now refer to themselves as med students at "Still University?" It's now a moutful for you guys to fully identify yourselves, if anything. Now you're "Andrew Taylor Stil University of the Health Sciences Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine" students. That's THIRTEEN words!

Well, don't feel bad. We on the northeast are not immune to that either. When my school was bought out it became the State University of New York Downstate Medical Center College of Medicine. Eleven words. Then 40 years later it was renamed the State University of New York Health Science Center at Brooklyn College of Medicine. Thirteen words. About 15 years later to the present day, it's now back to its old name but our degrees will bear the H-scab (for HSCaB) name. Confused? I am. Filling out forms that ask for the name of our institution has become an issue at times.

Good luck in working that out. :)

9. drusso

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Oh, yeah? Try: The University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth- Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine. 16 words. I win!

10. John DO

John DO A.T. Still Endowed Chair
    7+ Year Member

They have been polling for a while, apparently. I remember filling out a survey on the name change when I interviewed two cycles ago. They sent around a survey to our class recently, also, with similar names to what was offered back then. I think Aviator is right about the final change, if memory serves. The whole point in unifying the schools, however, is not to make us closer; it is to make us more competitive for national grants such as from IHS. That is the big reason for all schools doing this. If a school also possesses a masters- or doctorate-level research program, granting institutions are more likely to consider them worthy of research dollars.

REITERATE: KCOM will still be KCOM. We will simply be a part of a larger university system.