What's up with SDN server problems?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Long_John

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's up with SDN server problems? Its been down all morning. I thought I was going to die.

Members don't see this ad.

Long_John said:
What's up with SDN server problems? Its been down all morning. I thought I was going to die.

Yeah, me too. I was going through some serious withdrawl!!

Why don't these people get their act together?! It is down way too often, and for extended periods of time.

Members don't see this ad :)
seriously. i was going to have to actually *work* for a living. thankfully sdn is back up, and i only have to pretend. :laugh:

i felt like the guy in john's avatar.

thegoogler said:
Why don't these people get their act together?! It is down way too often, and for extended periods of time.
these people? dude. it's a free website. definately be happy we got it! haha. but yeah, i was checkin it about every 30 min. lol.

virilep said:
these people? dude. it's a free website. definately be happy we got it! haha. but yeah, i was checkin it about every 30 min. lol.

Regardless of the price, I think that if they make a commitment to neurotic pre-meds everywhere they should resolve these ongoing issues. It's like being a primary care doc: You can't be out of the office whenever you feel like it just b/c you're paid less than a radiologist - people are counting on you.

This is the first time in like 3-4 months that I have encountered a server problem with SDN. But then again, I'm only usually on SDN during the day, so I cannot offer comment on the evening/overnight reliability.

eh you guys are addicted.

addictions are bad.

server problems are good.

Oh my.. Thank goodness It came back up!!!

I was starting to worry SDN had gone away....
:p

at first i thought it was just my connection. Gee i thought after i donated (and so many others did too) they were finally upgrading the site. well i did get a lot of work done today. :thumbup:

Hermit MMood said:
eh you guys are addicted.

addictions are bad.

server problems are good.

I think I only have a minor addiction...but this morning I checked like three times and I thought to myself I bet there is going to be a thread about how people were having withdrawals :laugh: ...but then I realized that I myself was freaking out...accepting is the first step :eek:

Psycho Doctor said:
at first i thought it was just my connection. Gee i thought after i donated (and so many others did too) they were finally upgrading the site. well i did get a lot of work done today. :thumbup:

You're kidding, right? Maybe you and 30 other people donated, pulling in $600. While every bit helps, that kind of money wouldnt even purchase the ethernet cords that it takes to run a site of this size. It would take an enourmous number of people donating to purchase faster servers.

If everyone who complains about the server problems would donate, then maybe there wouldn't be any more problems!

Revolution #9 said:
You're kidding, right? Maybe you and 30 other people donated, pulling in $600. While every bit helps, that kind of money wouldnt even purchase the ethernet cords that it takes to run a site of this size. It would take an enourmous number of people donating to purchase faster servers.
of course it was a joke :p and these server problems continue and it sucks!

Long_John said:

uh oh... 2nd day in a row.... ppl are gonna riot in the libraries. :laugh:

Hey everyone, this is what Lee has to say about it:

Lee A Burnett said:
Two times in the past 2 days the database-end of the fourms has crapped-out. I'm sure you noticed the 6 hours of downtime this morning.

So, I've brought in some uber-geeks to fix this damned forum.

They've check-out everything and our current tech guys are working with them. We're going to move the forums to one high-powered server, change to OpenBSD for an operating system and do some customization of the PHP coding - specifically in the search script. It's going to cost $120/hour to get it done -- but hopefully once it's done, we'll not have to face these problems anymore! :)

$120/hour ...

Yow.

So, it's being addressed. Be patient, please. :thumbup:

So that's 6 angel donations per hour. Can we scrape it together? I wonder how many hours of work it will be.

Whoops! Open my big mouth only to insert my equally big (*wink wink* ladies) foot.

Does anyone even realize how much bandwith this site requires?! And on top of that it's free?! How does SDN even stay up and running at all? That is a fare better question than why is it down sometimes!