what's up with texas...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minitwinkie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so I was looking in the FAQ sticky and I noticed that texas medical schools are required to have a class consisting of at least 90% texas residents. is there a specific reason or is this just following the "stereotype" of texas as being an exclusive state that "could take over america"?

I don't live in texas but I've heard very good things about some of the med schools there and I was thinking about going ahead and trying for one or two.. should I not bother?

for those who have completed the AMCAS and the texas version, what's really the difference? was it significantly more time-consuming as compared to completing only the AMCAS?

thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, most state schools have similar policies, usually tied to state funding of the institution in return for a percentage of guaranteed spots for in-state residents...think about it and it makes total sense...in fact, there are quite a few states with virtually 100 percent in-state residents (next door in LA, for instance)...and there are a fair number of private schools that also favor in-state applicants, again usually for funding reasons, or for the mission of the school (to train local physicians)...example being Univ of Miami in Florida.

Members don't see this ad :)
They're just in love with themselves.

LOL! I lived in Texas for 12 years (most of my childhood), and I have yet to hear of another state that makes students recite the Texas Pledge of Allegiance after the American, and devotes classes for two years in middle school to just "Texas History", and where its ILLEGAL to pick the state flower (bluebonnet).

That being said, there's nothing wrong to have Texas pride, even though it may overwhelm all the non-Texans!

Oh, and Remember the Alamo, and DON'T mess with Texas! (the phrase actually comes from an anti-littering campaign)

Texas is such a large state, they have a huge pool of in-state students to select from. If you were in their shoes, why not admit mostly your own residents, who are more likely to stick around after med school and residency and serve the people in your community?

Plus people in Texas just rock.:love:
"Besides, the Mexican food sucks north of here, anyway." I miss Texas.

Edit: Everyone should see the bluebonnet fields. So beautiful. I've been a "Northerner" for almost 20 years now and I STILL have Texas pride.

Sorry but Texas rules, other states drool. :rolleyes:

So much hate! But honestly, Texas just explicitly does what most in-state public schools will do, mostly pick in-state applicants and OOS might fight tooth and nail for spots.

The 90% rule is because Texas has such a high population and prefers Texas residents to treat Texas patients (same with other states). It's pretty much just like California.

The Texas essay is more specific than the AMCAS one and shorter (only 4960 characters).

only because we look so damn good.

as far as AMCAS/TMDSAS, the TMDSAS is almost exactly the same, except the webpage looks like it was made by a 2nd grader using web design from 10 years ago.

:laugh: The web page really does look like you said. I just thought I'd check it out.

only because we look so damn good.

as far as AMCAS/TMDSAS, the TMDSAS is almost exactly the same, except the webpage looks like it was made by a 2nd grader using web design from 10 years ago.

Yes the TMDSAS is extremely difficult to use...very user unfriendly.

For example, I copied and pasted my personal statement into the stupid box, and it was fine...except it deleted all my apostrophes. come on wtf:mad:??? Good thing I caught it.

for those who have completed the AMCAS and the texas version, what's really the difference? was it significantly more time-consuming as compared to completing only the AMCAS?

Filling out the TX one was horrible. They have the worst user interface I could imagine, and yes, much more time consuming IMO. They seriously need to take a look at AMCAS and learn a thing or two... or ten...

Yeah the website could be better but AMCAS could also be cheaper. A LOT cheaper.

And yes Texas is great, but the 90% Texas residents is because the state schools are funded by the state. And the residents of Texas are the ones paying the money in taxes so they want Texas residents to fill the spots. and as it was said, most states have rules like this for their state schools. look into it

Members don't see this ad :)
As said before most states schools have this same rules. At UTenn-Memphis, you can't get even get in OOS unless your from one of the 8 contiguous states or are a child of alumnae/employees.

Most people don't think this is very fair unless they're on the outside looking in. No one on SDN seems to complain that most accredited residency slots seem to be taken up by american trained physicians while foreign trained have to be extra special.

[tangent]
As far as a whole different system, that's just Texans thinking they are the ****, just remember there would be no Texas without Tennessee.

That's why God gave the Titans Vince Young in rememberance of their services.

Remember that whenever referring to U of Texas as UT. Because UT Vols are the real UT.
[/tangent]

As said before most states schools have this same rules. At UTenn-Memphis, you can't get even get in OOS unless your from one of the 8 contiguous states or are a child of alumnae/employees.

Most people don't think this is very fair unless they're on the outside looking in. No one on SDN seems to complain that most accredited residency slots seem to be taken up by american trained physicians while foreign trained have to be extra special.

[tangent]
As far as a whole different system, that's just Texans thinking they are the ****, just remember there would be no Texas without Tennessee.

That's why God gave the Titans Vince Young in rememberance of their services.

Remember that whenever referring to U of Texas as UT. Because UT Vols are the real UT.
[/tangent]

Good thing you stuck that in as a tangent otherwise I would have had to show you some some REAL UT pride. Heck, even the other "UT" schools in Texas have to tack on other stuff, because UT Austin is the REAL UT. :D

Good thing you stuck that in as a tangent otherwise I would have had to show you some some REAL UT pride. Heck, even the other "UT" schools in Texas have to tack on other stuff, because UT Austin is the REAL UT. :D

It was a tangent, but I was not kidding. :cool:

My UG pulls a lot of texas residents and so referring when they refer to Texas as UT I make it a point to show that 1) Without Tennessee there would be no Texas and 2) Tennessee has been around longer.

Texas public schools, as are most public state schools, are funded by THE people of the state via taxes. Therefore, for schools to recieve such funding from the state, and for the people/legislature to go along with the increased taxes for education.....naturally, a percentage of students educated with that money MUST be Texan, with the thoughts/goal that chances are high that they in turn will stay and practice medicine in Texas. Do they have to, no...but I would say majority do. Therefore, solving the states need for physicians.

Baylor is the odd man. Their tuition is the same as the rest of the public schools in Texas. I am not sure if the offset there is from Texas taxes as well or some other private funding source... but the idea was so that Baylor can compete with the Texas public schools.

It was a tangent, but I was not kidding. :cool:

My UG pulls a lot of texas residents and so referring when they refer to Texas as UT I make it a point to show that 1) Without Tennessee there would be no Texas and 2) Tennessee has been around longer.

It's not a matter of age, it's a matter of greatness. And we know Texas kicks Tennessee's butt.

It's not a matter of age, it's a matter of greatness. And we know Texas kicks Tennessee's butt.

I'll join this fight. Vince Young is the only redeeming quality of the other UT. And our orange is better too. Go Vols!!

Yep, any Texas resident will agree. I certainly do.

Have to disagree with you there... lived there for the first 23 yrs of my life, and I couldn't be happier that I'm long gone.

That said, if I get accepted in TX, I'm so coming back to save some $. :laugh:

Have to disagree with you there... lived there for the first 23 yrs of my life, and I couldn't be happier that I'm long gone.

That said, if I get accepted in TX, I'm so coming back to save some $. :laugh:
where'd you move to?

the irony of the argument in this thread is I'm getting a little tired of TX and am trying to move to TN :D

where'd you move to?

the irony of the argument in this thread is I'm getting a little tired of TX and am trying to move to TN :D

I'm in upstate NY now. I love the northeast...

There were some aspects of TX that I really liked, but like you, I just got tired of it. Up here, it's nice to actually be able to spend more than 10 minutes outdoors in the summer. :laugh:

There were some aspects of TX that I really liked, but like you, I just got tired of it. Up here, it's nice to actually be able to spend more than 10 minutes outdoors in the summer. :laugh:
exactly why I'm tired of it here! I love everything else about TX, especially the wider than normal roads and excellent Mexican food, but it's just TOO hot for TOO long.

I hate the weather in the southern part of it, but besides that, TX has a lot going for it. :thumbup:

This will probably sound stupid but I think I felt like I was in less of a foreign country leaving texas for Europe than I did when I went to New England. That's not meant as a cut down to anybody else, just funny to think about. They made fun of the way I talked but i gotta give them the nod on the funny talking:laugh: By the way, if you're comparing the UTennesee system with the UTexas system, thats funny. not even close (4 med schools, 10 undergrad, top 20 law school.....), but UT austin vs. UT knoxville is probably even.

more texas love.

someone above mentioned that baylor is so cheap "so that it can compete with the other texas schools." is that true? why does it accept more texas residents even though it's a private school? i've always thought it must be like half state funded, but i really have no idea.

whatever the reason, hooray for baylor!

Texas is pretty cool, but in comparison to California?

*brushing that dirt off my shoulder*

more texas love.

someone above mentioned that baylor is so cheap "so that it can compete with the other texas schools." is that true? why does it accept more texas residents even though it's a private school? i've always thought it must be like half state funded, but i really have no idea.

whatever the reason, hooray for baylor!

Baylor's viewbook says that they hashed out an agreement with the Texas legislature so that they would charge in-state residents the same tuition as all the other Texas med schools and get subsidized by the government for any difference. It's basically free and guaranteed money for them.

God I love this state.

We try not to be snobs about being better than everyone else. It's the humility that makes us head and shoulders above everyone else.:)

Just kidding...to the OP. We pay the bulk of the taxes ergo we have more spots saved for residents. I can't believe we're the only state doing this. As a matter of fact, I know we aren't the only ones doing this.

TMDSAS blows but it is cheaper. They'll upgrade it soon, but not with out an increase in the cost as well.

Hook'em.

yeah I wish we had to pay 5x as much as the rest of the country, too. that would be awesome.

Don't forget earthquakes and mudslides....now that would be awesome. You put that in with the cost of living and you got yourself a state baby! Now we do share the massive immigration problems so that's a push.

Maybe they're both great states with solid medical programs.

Don't forget earthquakes and mudslides....now that would be awesome. You put that in with the cost of living and you got yourself a state baby! Now we do share the massive immigration problems so that's a push.

****ty gun laws, too. Add ****ty gun laws so us firearm-carrying/supporting/whatever folks can bash them for that, too. :D

Exactly. I'll stick around for medical school but after that I really would like to leave this hot, humid, ugly, boring, conservative state.

:cool:

Exactly. I'll stick around for medical school but after that I really would like to leave this hot, humid, ugly, boring, conservative state.

:cool:

We'll miss you...

:laugh:

Not much liking it here, I take it.

I've been complaining since I was a little kid, don't mind me. :D By the way, nice job on your recent GPA increase. Keep kickin' ass!

I've been complaining since I was a little kid, don't mind me. :D By the way, nice job on your recent GPA increase. Keep kickin' ass!

Thanks, and working on it... that one C means I'll never have that BCPM at 3.9+ with my overall - at least not in practicality - but it should be well north of 3.8 by grad; I can live with that.

How's life?

exactly why I'm tired of it here! I love everything else about TX, especially the wider than normal roads and excellent Mexican food, but it's just TOO hot for TOO long.

I'm sorry, but Texas does not have good Mexican food (Tex Mex does not = good Mexican). I have lived in California, Arizona and Texas. California's Mexican (So Cal) >>>>>Arizona Mexican >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Tex Mex.

I'm sorry, but Texas does not have good Mexican food (Tex Mex does not = good Mexican). I have lived in California, Arizona and Texas. California's Mexican (So Cal) >>>>>Arizona Mexican >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Tex Mex.
and not having to live in So Cal >>>>>>>> *

:)

You neglected to mention anything about if it weren't for TN there would be no TX. Anything you can boast we can boast for, because you would be property of mexico if it weren't for us ;)

You neglected to mention anything about if it weren't for TN there would be no TX. Anything you can boast we can boast for, because you would be property of mexico if it weren't for us ;)

Thanks...now stay out of our way.:smuggrin:

I think other people are just upset that they don't live in Texas. :D