Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

what's up with this

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by cloosh, Apr 13, 2007.

1. cloosh

cloosh Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Mar 24, 2006
    okay i've been taking the kaplan exams and been getting around a 31 consistently but recently took two AAMC ones and got a 28 and a 24. i'm not sure if it's because of dumb mistakes or just attention span. or were the ones i took just particularly hard? any feedback would be good. i'm taking another one tonight and tomorrow.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Mark84

Mark84 5+ Year Member

Nov 8, 2006
    AAMC cbts have a much tighter scale than the kaplan ones do.

4. CATallergy

CATallergy 2+ Year Member

Jan 23, 2007
    which aamc exams did you take?

5. evee

evee New Member

Aug 4, 2006
    when are you taking the MCAT? I had the same problem and after a few more weeks of practice I was able to bring my score in 30s on aamc tests as well. hang in there!

6. cloosh

Mar 24, 2006
    i took 3 and 4. i'm taking it on monday.

7. evee

evee New Member

Aug 4, 2006
    I think your best bet is to take few more BS and PS sections only instead of taking full tests... this way you can get a a better feeling about the types of questions and tricks that aamc use...also its easier to improve in sciences than verbal! good luck .. I am taking it on monday too... we will do well:luck:

8. CATallergy

CATallergy 2+ Year Member

Jan 23, 2007
    here's what I would do:

I would go through the 2 tests that you already took, and figure out what's holding you back (knowledge, applying what you know, time pressure, etc).

If it's being able to apply what you know or time pressure, I would practice with more aamc exams to get more comfortable with the format and question-style. If you feel like it's the knowledge itself that's holding you back, you might want to consider postponing to give yourself more time to study.

9. cloosh

Mar 24, 2006
    i think i have a good knowledge of most of it, especially bio and physics. also, i meant to say i took 4 and 5 and i just took 6 and got a 30, but 6 was noticeably easier (the verbal). i'm praying i dont get a tough verbal then.

10. msa786

msa786 5+ Year Member

Nov 28, 2006
    same happened to me..but hang in there and keep practicing

11. Vanguard23

Vanguard23 5+ Year Member

Sep 5, 2006
    On AAMC 3, 8 and 7, I've recieved a 24,23, and 22 respectively. VERY annoying when my Kaplan scores have been 27 or so. I just wish I had more time to study my material what with work, school, and everything else. Gah:(