What's with differing requirements for letters of rec???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jpevball

CSPM Class of 2013! YEYAH
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
SO..... something that I am trying to wrap my head around is: Why do most of the schools require 3 letters (1 DPM, 2 science faculty...or 1 committee letter), when Scholl wants 3 science faculty and a DPM and TUSPM wants an "extra health professional" on top of the original 3? I thought I was all good with letters, but apparently I am NOT going to apply to TUSPM unless I go kiss an MD's butt?

Did anybody here apply to TUSPM without having another healthcare professional (i.e. MD? DO?) write a letter?..... Are Scholl's and TUSPM's requirements on letters absolute, or does anyone have experience with getting interviewed with the basic 3 (science faculty and 1 DPM)?? Please let me know so I don't waste an extra $125 on apps.... thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

SO..... something that I am trying to wrap my head around is: Why do most of the schools require 3 letters (1 DPM, 2 science faculty...or 1 committee letter), when Scholl wants 3 science faculty and a DPM .

Scholl

The faculty prefers to have a composite evaluation from the Pre-Professional Advisory Committee at the primary undergraduate institution attended. Three letters of evaluation from individual members of the faculty may be substituted for the composite evaluation. Letters from Health Professionals and personal references or recommendations may be submitted in addition to the academic evaluations at the candidate's option. All evaluations and recommendations are considered confidential admission records and cannot be released to the applicant.

Letters of evaluation should be forwarded to the Office of Admissions when beginning the application process.

So u dnt need a DPM's letter. just get three letters from ur faculty.

i applied to TUSPM with 4 letters total. 2 from science faculty. 1 from a DPM. and one composite letter from my school's health professions committee.

that was sufficient for them.

when in doubt, call them 1 800 220 FEET/ direct phone to admissions>>215 625 5451. i would call between the hours of 8:30am-11am to make sure someone answers your call.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied with 4 letters
Two from science faculty
Two from 2 different DPMs

Cool.. thanks for the input everyone!

I had another question to add to this... I go to a very big school most of my classes are 100+ I would like to ask a lab TA i had for a recommendation because I believe he knew me fairly well. Do you think this is ok to count for 1 science lor? Also, if i send in my application with mcat score and no lors will schools look at my application and can i get an interview or do they wait until everything is entirely in? Thanks!

The pre-professional office at my undergrad put together a committee letter consisting of the three undergrad profs of my choice (as long as they agreed). It was an easy way to handle it because they got the letters, put them together, and forwarded it to all the places I wanted it to go. I'd try that route.