what's with Tufts?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by rikkitikki, Mar 4, 2001.

1. rikkitikki

rikkitikki Member

I'm wondering if anyone has insight into how Tufts picks its interviewees. From my own experience and what I've seen on other threads it seems that many people have gotten into or at least interviewed from supposedly better or at least equal schools and have still not heard from Tufts. Could it be they are trying to get their stats up and avoiding candidates who they feel won't accept? or are they picky or disorganized?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gower

gower 1K Member

TUFTS: About 800 from the 5000 who complete applications are invited to interview. The entire file is reviewed. Applicants who will NOT be invited can receive rejection letters as EARLY as March 1.

For students already interviewed, at each meeting of the admissions committee a decision is made whether to accept, reject or hold for reevaluation at later meetings.
    All students receive a decision by the end of May; a number are placed on a wait-list.
    Wait-listed students not offered places in the class are notified by the end of the summer.

The wait-list is not rank-ordered or broken into priority groups. An applicant may indicate interest in remaining on the wait list by filling out the form that arrives with notification of wait-list status. No supplementary material is required from those on the wait-list. Don't call Admissions; they will not provide detailed information concerning likelihood of acceptance.

The greatest movement from the wait-list usually occurs May 15-July 1.

Editorial: a mandatory course each semester for all preprofessional students should be one on anxiety control, transcendental meditation and/or on whatever works. It will sure come in handy when going through the curriculum, taking course exams and the MCAT/DAT/VMCAT, applying to professional schools, waiting for and going to interviews, waiting to hear the outcomes, accepting bad news, making choices when getting good news, starting a professional education, handling adversity...and on and on and on through a demanding professional life.

Follow the three Rs: Respect for self, respect for others, responsibility for all your actions. Live long and prosper!

4. rikkitikki

rikkitikki Member

THanks for the info- that sounds very very organized on their part. I'll go back and sink into my meditative state now so I can rest and go skiing tomorrow during my year off before med school starts- anxiety can set in then!

5. actually I heard that Tufts may also directly waitlist some applicants after interview. I interviewed in Jan. and have been put on hold for further review.. This school is very well-organized and takes good care of the students; I would love to go there! I have very average stats and was surprised to get interviewed there. anyway, good luck..