What's with UVA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haven't heard anyone even talk about it here...did anyone apply? what's the deal with them anyway?

Members don't see this ad.

It's too good to talk about. Angries up the nerves.

Psycho Doctor said:
Haven't heard anyone even talk about it here...did anyone apply? what's the deal with them anyway?

Yeah, I was hoping to see some talk about it, too. I'm having a hard time deciding between them and some other schools. I'm a little concerned about the time spent away from the school in your 3rd and 4th years. Anyone have any thoughts on that or anything else about the school?

Members don't see this ad :)
For one, UVa's campus rocks.

I think your time away isn't that bad. It allows you time to adjust, rather than leaving college immediately and adjusting.

I agree, UVA does seem like a very nice school and it keeps a fairly low profile on this website (might be a good thing). I've heard from several people on this site that their match this year was excellent, but as I look at it myself, it definitely seems that there are several people matching into v. competitive programs in prestigious hospitals, but there are also a lot of people matching to seemingly no-name programs. I've seen the residency/peer ranking on USNEWS, but does anyone has a good handle on how UVA is actually perceived in the eyes of students/academic MDs? I've kindof come to the conclusion that UVA will set you up for competitive programs if you work hard to distinguish yourself, but the name won't particularly help in getting those residencies, it just put you at a disadvantage like some of the lower tier school names might (let's face it to match into a great program in a competitive residency, med school prestige plays and important part). To clarify, I would think that a graduate from a top 10/top 5 school is pretty much set as long as they pull their weight (and from the match list this looks to be true)...and, yes, I understand that these people are also more likely to excel given that they were adimitted to one of these schools. Sorry, if this sounds forward, didn't mean to offend and, please, correct me if I'm incorrect.

Hey group - I am a fourth year student at UVa and I love it!

To respond to a few of the threads -

1) this years match - yes it was great. I would be careful talking about a schools match though. Yes, some people matched at "no name programs" however they chose those programs. A few of my close friends was being heavily recruited from a "top" institution but decided to go to a lesser name program. Many of these were family practice because they felt they could get better training in a smaller community program. I will tell you that UVa's name will carry you VERY far in your interviews. I was an average student here (which is a great thing) and still got interviews for residency programs in all of the ivy league schools as well as other "top programs". Basically, if you want to get into a top program you can without "distinguishing yourself" The average student at UVa does REALLY well.

2) Third/fourth year away. - first of all, the fourth year is completely yours - you only go away if you want to (some people do away electives at places they are interested in going and a lot of people to international electives as well). The third year does have time spent away however you are given housing and you are with your fellow classmates. I had a LOT of fun at the away rotations and learned a lot by being away.

the other things I like about UVa is the environment here. All of the students and faculty/administration are like one family. Everyone looks out for each other. You become very close to your class as well as the other classes. They are CONSTANTLY making improvements to the curriculum based on student feedback. and CHARLOTTESVILLE is a GREAT place to live (just voted number 1 place to live in the country).

You will get a great education here while being in a friendly and supportive environment. You WILL get into the residency of your choice. I hope this helps.

anyone going to second look tomorry? i am....

seethrew said:
anyone going to second look tomorry? i am....

Hope you had some fun! I saw you guys today... :)

And I agree that just being an average student here is good enough to match well.

Hi there,
I am a total UVA fan. The location is great, the medical school is even greater. I went there undergraduate and was accepted for medical school there but got a full ride at another institution which made my decision for me. I did go to UVA for residency and I loved every second of being there.

The academics are outstanding. The administration is better than most and the facilities are great. I especially loved the state of the art Aquatic Center. Charlottesville is a great town to live in with plenty of decent housing. The campus is beautiful and the attending staff are outstanding teachers.

Charlottesville is about 120 miles southwest of Washington, DC and about 45 miles east of Richmond, VA. It has an airport which is a bit pricey to fly out of but good in a pinch. Charlottesville is close to good skiing in the winter and loads of outdoor activities. The Cavaliers have a good football, basketball, lacrosse, tennis and soccer teams with great facilities.

If I were applying to medical school today instead of years ago, UVA would be my first choice.

njbmd :)

10minutes said:
Hope you had some fun! I saw you guys today... :)

And I agree that just being an average student here is good enough to match well.
did have fun. felt like the oldest one there tho.... doh. i shouldnt be surprised.

what a beautiful beautiful place.