1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

What's Worse: Dropping or taking a GPA hit?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by usf4me, Mar 6, 2007.

1. usf4me

Not sure whether to stay in a class or drop it.

It's a science worth 3 credits.

In this world of premed a B isn't good enough to make the cuts

Not sure whether to take the B or drop and retake for an A

what do you think?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. trevagandalf

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Depends on what class it is and what are the rest of your grade and whether you think you'll be able to get an A next time. If it is a pre-req, the rest of your grades are mediocre and you think you can do better, than retake it. If it is not a pre-req, don't retake it. One B is not the end of the world and if you retake it and still get a B, that just looks horrible!

4. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    A W followed by repeating the course for an A (or repeating and still getting a B :eek: ) screams "protecting the gpa". That is worse than a B.

If you graduate with 120 credits at 4 points each you have 480 grade points. If you have one B worth 3 credits and As on the other 117 credits you have 477 grade points. That's a negligible difference.

5. gary5

gary5 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'd take the B and learn the lesson: You need to study harder and earlier for each course. Raise the bar.

6. hawkeyepeirce

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I will respectfully take the opposing view. If you are certain you will not need to drop any other class as an undergrad, and if your GPA is likely to be harmed by a B, then re-take. In other words if this is truly a one-time thing, then take the W and be sure to get an A when you retake it.

As for it appearing like you are protecting your GPA--you are--that's what A's do. They also show mastery of the subject matter, which is what matters.

7. Kingfish

Kingfish New Member
    5+ Year Member

Depends on how many Ws you already have. My advice is to just drop it and retake it if this is your first withdrawel. No school would ever question one or two Ws on a transcript and if it comes up in an interview just make sure you have a better excuse than "I spread myself too thin" or "I bombed the first test"