What's Wrong W/ Podiatry Now A Days?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pursuing MD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that podiatry is not what it used to be and there are many downsides to it...These may just be rumors (I hope). I just wanted to know everyone's opinion on the profession of podiatry. So, please explain what you think of podiatry (&/or podiatrists), and whether you consider it to be a viable career option. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Some podiatrists have told me that podiatry is not what it used to be...and to rethink getting into the profession. I'm curious to know WHY?

Members don't see this ad :)
Podiatry's problem is purely economic---too many pods, not enough patients (for everybody). Podiatry has had a "Field of
Dreams" mentality for the past 10-15 years--"build it and they will
come". The true believers thought that by improving training
i.e., residencies for all grads, there would be a magical increase in
demand for pod services. It hasn't happened. The pie is the same, or smaller due to managed care, yet the schools continued
to flood the market with new pods, who find it increasingly difficult to survive despite their "superior" training.

The aging of the post WWII baby boomers will create a greater demand for foot care services. However, I think the profession which those senior citizens come to choose as the preferred provider is still to be determined. Will it be podiatrists, physicians, chiropractors, or physical therapists? Only time will tell. I think podiatry has the assets to win that competition, but needs to do a much better job of selling itself to the public.

footdoc makes an interesting point. The schools are flooding the market with new docs. There are just too many to go around.

There is another school of thought that says this is backwards. There are not enough Podiatrists. (I happen to agree with this.)

Not too many years ago, DOs were few in number and essentially unknown. The schools increased the numbers, in fact quite a few new schools opened. Increased numbers of DOs, increased visibility, active politically, and now they are more or less seen as being on par with the MDs.

I think Podiatry should take a lesson from them, and do likewise. There is a need for foot care. Therefore there is a shortage of practitioners providing it. Since there are not enough DPMs out there doing it, (and this may vary regionally), PTs, RNs, MD's, orthotists are stepping in to do what they can. None of them can fill the range of foot care that the DPM does. Each may do a portion of it, and I don't think any of them can do it as well. It is only a part of what they do, and most do not have or take the time to limit their practice to the foot and ankle. Podiatry does, and with the time and focus placed here, results will show for it.

There is always room for good podiatrists out there. The problem though is that many of the schools are desperate for students so they accept anyone and everyone. They also graduate everyone. Then the market becomes flooded with good ones and low quality ones. This creates a problem with the reputation of podiatry as a whole. There are a few low quality podiatry schools out of the seven that should be closed. This would automatically do some of the clean up out there. Podiatry also needs to advance more. Some schools are good and offer superior training somewhat like what the MDs and DOs get. Other schools are still like they were many years ago and resemble trade schools. These lower end schools graduate some podiatrists that are unable to carry themselves in a professional manner and communicate with other health care providers. So the whole profession ends up taking a hit.

Steve DPM

Steve,

Welcome to SDN. It sounds like you have some experience behind you. I'll be looking forward to your input.

Glad to Help out. That's what it is all about.

Hey TOe Jam,
I agree with you that you should not enter pod school if you can't get into DO or MD. I would keep on trying if being a DO/ or MD was my dream. as for the stupid salaries, Yes, I agree with you that the residencies, especially from what I hear bout the west coast ones stink to high heaven.

Podiatry as a profession is gaining momentum and as for respect, I don't know about you guys but I"m not feeling the hate at all. I'm a pod surgery resident and I love it. of course my pay could be higher than it is now but hey, why fight it. It is descent. Most residency programs here on the east coast pays the same or almost the same for DPM and DO/ MD residents. I know of a PPMR that pays 36K/yr here. As for respect, hmm I don't know about that, I have DO students following me around now and also the ER physicians always calling me into the ER for a second opinion. when I was a 4th year on vas sx, I had the MD students asking me questions n all.

as for the question about training, etc. Yes, I would have loved to spend more time learning and practicing internal med (in school) to build a stronger base for myself but as a resident now I can get all the internal med that I want and then some. and yes, I feel that we spend too much time C and C in school but hey, we are podiatrist that came from a profession called chiropody where that's all they did. I believe that we have a rich history and a welcoming future. The future of increase amounts of surgeries and responsibilities. our profession is evolving just like the DO's had to go thru the pains in the past. For instance at our hospital, all the ankle fractures and so forth are sent our way. We did 3 ankles in 3 days and our pod attending had 6 cases on one day vs the orthopod's one measily case of debridement of achilles tendon. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I have freinds in other surgery programs where hey do some major plastic surgery work with the foot, and also work very close witht he ortho guys. I have no complaints about the foot and ankle field, I have freinds that just got out of residency making 100+ working great hours sooooooo. Did I mention that I logged 30+ cases my first month on? that's not counting the individual cases.

CCPM issue. I'm not too familiar with their problems but I can say that if you guys are gettng paid so low the attendings, directors should sit down with the CEO of the institution to see waz up. Getting paid 10K is demeaning. Some places POD sx provide a great amount of revenue for the hospital and they are treated with great respect by the hospital higher ups.

a message for Pursuing MD, Dont' go to pod school if you don't really like it and only using it as a backup, it will be a costly mistake, I had a classmate that did that and left for DO school after two years in pod school. Speak to Pods, to BUsy PODS and not so BUSY pods. get a full view of the situation. Go visit a busy residency, etc.

As for Toe Jam. Sorry the DPM thing didnt' work out for ya. DO/MD school's have politics big time too. IF you want to be a DO, GO DO IT!!!!!!!
;)

I do agree with TOe Jam,

that the CASPR and CRIPS (the residency interview and matching service for pods) is a BUNCH OF CRAP!!!!!! My program matched outside of this bull but I did go thru it nontheless. CASPR and CRIPS are a bunch of money sucking, good for nothing, demeaning, time and money consuming entities that should be thrown out for the good of podiatry. Not to mention that the racial diversity at some of the top surgical programs are non existant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok enough of my rambling. as you can see, I love podiatry surgery but hate all the bullcrap associated with it, I hope that this will change someday. Ok, back to reading about my upcoming surgeries.

Excellent comments.

Keep them coming.

There are plenty of people needing podiatric services such as those with sports injuries, etc. Can't pods. serve as consulting foot surgeons at trauma centers? And why are pod. patients of the same age range as other patients, instead of just old people?

as for that. To my understanding , I have met a pod that is in the military and his does a lot of trauma. the surgery program here on the east coast has pod surgery residents working with the trauma team. So why isn't it more popular than it currently is? Most of it stems from why we came into this profession in the first place. TO avoid all that crap of being called in the middle of the night or staying overnight at a hospital and working til the weeeeeee hours. We do have pods on trauma teams and to my understanding the residents in a NJ program is highly involved in trauma calls. Hey, if being in the hussle and bussle of the trauma team is your thing then it is out there. I would not like that though figuring that I have a family that I love to go back home to. I know pods that make a good 200+ --- 400+K working 5-6 days a week so why kill myself? I love the thrill for now but not when I'm out in practice. I'll have a business to run.
:)

for all those interested in podiatry, go investigate it.
for those using podiatry for a stepping stone, don't do it, it's too expensive for that, try going to a masters program at the associated medical school. GOOD LUCK. Any questions about pod, let me know. I'm on a easy rotation now so I'll have some time. I'm usually working and CUTTING in the OR. everyone needs a breather sometime.

C and C has no glamour but at 40+ dollars a patient...just think of the possibilities...

Jimmy

For the most part students and residents are living in a fantasy land, I was also 3 years ago.

There are still not enough psr 24 residencies for all, this means no board certification by ABPS, this means no hospital priveleges or managed care contracts. And this = financial ruin.

There are too many podiatrists. Call any podiatrist and act like a patient and ask when you can be seen. How many are booked 1 day, a week, a month? Most can see you today. This = over supply and not enough demand.

Run Away from podiatry while there is still time, I am now selling hats on the beach. Good Luck.