What's wrong with ME?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BarbieDoctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in my 5th year now. Next year is my final year. But this year i feel like I've just run all out of energy. I sleep all the time, I don't study (even when I've got my end of block tests, so I'm barely making it), i bunk hospital if the clinical rotation isn't too tight. And my spirits are generall low, if not i feel very sad/depressed (I've cried a few times for no reason whatsoever). I'm getting worried now cause there's 10 weeeks left till exams, and i really want to pass this year so i can get to my final year, But I'm just not motivated. IS THIS NORMAL? WHATS HAPPENING TO ME? WILL IT END? DO I NEED TO SEE A DR?

Members don't see this ad.

Quality first post.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Premature senioritits.

See a psychiatrist. You could very well be suffering from depression or a similar issue, but SDN is not the place for medical advice, so see someone that can actually help.

Reactions: 3 users
See a psychiatrist. You could very well be suffering from depression or a similar issue, but SDN is not the place for medical advice, so see someone that can actually help.
Thought abou that but i wasn't so sure though, was kinda scared. Thanks =)

I'm in my 5th year now. Next year is my final year. But this year i feel like I've just run all out of energy. I sleep all the time, I don't study (even when I've got my end of block tests, so I'm barely making it), i bunk hospital if the clinical rotation isn't too tight. And my spirits are generall low, if not i feel very sad/depressed (I've cried a few times for no reason whatsoever). I'm getting worried now cause there's 10 weeeks left till exams, and i really want to pass this year so i can get to my final year, But I'm just not motivated. IS THIS NORMAL? WHATS HAPPENING TO ME? WILL IT END? DO I NEED TO SEE A DR?

Dear OP, you sound like you have a condition called malignant idiopathic burn out syndrome. The pathophysiology of this condition is presented by Delta waves on EEG particularly during times of rounding in the morning and afternoon lectures. The prevalence is exceptionally high in 3rd year medical students. Prognosis is actually quite favorable.

More importantly, you need to consider what is causing this. Given you are a 5th med student, I presume you are a FMG. Have you taken Step I yet. If not, you need to consider this exam more than you school's exams and put all your effort into this exam. It is far more important than your school exams. If you have already taken the test and did exceptionally well, you will match whatever specialty you would like and there is no reason to feel as you do. All the best.