JourneyToMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2005
Status (Visible)
I've had about 9 interviews thus far...

I've been accepted to none.
4 Waitlists.

I don't understand... Am I doing something wrong/saying something wrong at my interviews? Statistically, shouldn't I get an acceptance somewhere? I'm starting to freak out, and it's not looking good. I just don't get it-- I was on the top of the world with 9 invites a few months ago... and now... it just seems like it doesn't matter.

Any insight?

aerodivya

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
were these really competitive programs? what were each of their stats from interview to acceptance?

radiologydoctor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2007
Status (Visible)

4 Waitlists.

I don't understand... Am I doing something wrong/saying something wrong at my interviews? Statistically, shouldn't I get an acceptance somewhere? I'm starting to freak out, and it's not looking good. I just don't get it-- I was on the top of the world with 9 invites a few months ago... and now... it just seems like it doesn't matter.

Any insight?

Go have a private (free) interview done at the careers office in your school so you can get professional feedback for how you interview.

About the Ads

JohnMadden

Political Refugee
10+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2007
Status (Visible)
With nine interviews, there can't be that much wrong with you...

soco

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Did you accidentally check off URM but are obviously Asian/White? That could be it.

JourneyToMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2005
Status (Visible)
These interviews were at schools sprinkled about the US for just the MD program.

Now... the think is-- my interviewers tell me that I'm great for their school, etc etc. I feel like I had made great use of the time; I usually left their offices with a spring in my step and a good feeling. Now what I want to know-- if you make it to the interview stage, shouldn't you have a pretty good chance of getting accepted? If a class has 120 students, doesn't the admissions office have to accept double that from the interviewing pool? OR... am I just making stuff up??

Doctor~Detroit

this poll sux!!!
10+ Year Member
May 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
4 waitlist but how many rejections? are you waiting to hear back from 5 schools? if so, give us all a break. sheesh.

JourneyToMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2005
Status (Visible)
I am waiting to hear back... but the ones i'm waiting for are top tier schools (as opposed to mid-tier for now). Plus, I interviewed rather late in the cycle, so I'm not hoping for much. I'd like to give you a break, but I wish you'd just look at things from my perspective. How annoying and frustrating is this from my standpoint??

soco

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
If you are 1st tier stats/EC's you could be getting 2nd tier pwned. If you are too good (i.e. using the school as backup) then they will waitlist. My theory is that you have to make yourself look like an ass at an interview @ a 2nd tier. Then the school will be like "okay this kid has baggage, no 1st tier will accept him/her, let's bag him," and you'll get an acceptance. Chances are you're just too awesome of a person, wear those 2nd tier waitlists as badges of honor, acceptances from 1st tiers are on the way.

crimsonkid85

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
no. just because you make it to the interview round does not mean that you have a very good chance of getting in. you have a higher chance statistically, only because not everyone is invited to interview. there is still usually a 80% cut post-interview. that means when you walk into the admissions office bright and early the day of your interview, you have to be better than four out of five people there. that's not so easy.

soco

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
no. just because you make it to the interview round does not mean that you have a very good chance of getting in. you have a higher chance statistically, only because not everyone is invited to interview. there is still usually a 80% cut post-interview. that means when you walk into the admissions office bright and early the day of your interview, you have to be better than four out of five people there. that's not so easy.

I doubt applic. would have a problem outshining 80% @ 2nd tier with 9 interviews w/ half at 1st tier. That's not the problem.

Doctor~Detroit

this poll sux!!!
10+ Year Member
May 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
I am waiting to hear back... but the ones i'm waiting for are top tier schools (as opposed to mid-tier for now). Plus, I interviewed rather late in the cycle, so I'm not hoping for much. I'd like to give you a break, but I wish you'd just look at things from my perspective. How annoying and frustrating is this from my standpoint??

i wouldn't be frustrated unless you are a really bad interviewee. i don't think you'd be so bad if four schools didn't reject you. in that case, i'd expect something good from at least one of the five schools and this thread is premature.

crimsonkid85

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
this may be true. however, people who appear shiny on paper may not be shiny in person. but overall i agree that it may be too premature to say...

About the Ads

smq123

John William Waterhouse
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

4 Waitlists.

Any insight?

I'm sorry, but I'm confused. On one of your other posts, you seemed pretty sure that you were going to UCSD. Did something happen? If so, maybe talking to UCSD would be your best bet - asking the admissions director what happened might give you more insight.

MattD

Curmudgeon
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2003
www.yellow5.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Did you have oozing leprosy sores on your face during interviews? I imagine that might cause some problems.

Just sayin'.....

crimsonkid85

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
I'm sorry, but I'm confused. On one of your other posts, you seemed pretty sure that you were going to UCSD. Did something happen? If so, maybe talking to UCSD would be your best bet - asking the admissions director what happened might give you more insight.
wow seriously. do people lie on this forum or what? or maybe they just like to watch themselve type.... :D

johnnydrama

I'm no Superman
15+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2006
Status (Visible)
I'm in almost exactly the same boat. 8 interviews, 3 waitlists, all but 1 of the last 5 schools I'm waiting to hear from are reaches (top 20). I know I can't complain about the interviews I've received, but still - interviews mean nothing without an acceptance.
----
Oh whoa, or maybe you were lying about everything.

JourneyToMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2005
Status (Visible)
Yes. That would be my roommate, the genius who forgot to log out of my user name and express her joy in full force. Not that I'm jealous or anything.

Disinence2

Emergency Medicine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
If you are 1st tier stats/EC's you could be getting 2nd tier pwned. If you are too good (i.e. using the school as backup) then they will waitlist. My theory is that you have to make yourself look like an ass at an interview @ a 2nd tier. Then the school will be like "okay this kid has baggage, no 1st tier will accept him/her, let's bag him," and you'll get an acceptance. Chances are you're just too awesome of a person, wear those 2nd tier waitlists as badges of honor, acceptances from 1st tiers are on the way.

I couldn't dissagree with you more

C

Critical Mass

Just keep in mind that many schools interview 2 or 3 times as many people as they plan to matriculate. Are you interviewing early or late in the cycle? Most places are more likely to take the early folks.

For your best idea of how strong your application is, look at your state school(s) and how well you're doing there. That should be your easiest admit depending on where your home state is.

About the Ads
C

Critical Mass

Critical Mass, look at Robizzle's post above. This guy has been accepted to UCSD already, at least according to what he said in a post on 2/6.

Yeah I noticed that after I posted. I was confused at first because I didn't understand it, but it made sense after I read the UCSD post.

Sorry for the troll feeding.

NN11

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Ummm, or you guys could read and see that JourneytoMD said her/his ROOMMATE wrote that (the roommate forgot to log off JourneytoMD log in before she wrote it). Give the OP the benefit of the doubt before you pick up your troll beating sticks. Geez, if you guys plan on becoming doctors, try to read before you jump on your white horse. Oh and try to practice compassion while you're at it. *strokes own white horse lovingly*

Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't see that post. My apologies JourneyToMD

C

Critical Mass

Ummm, or you guys could read and see that JourneytoMD said her/his ROOMMATE wrote that (the roommate forgot to log off JourneytoMD log in before she wrote it). Give the OP the benefit of the doubt before you pick up your troll beating sticks. Geez, if you guys plan on becoming doctors, try to read before you jump on your white horse. Oh and try to practice compassion while you're at it. *strokes own white horse lovingly*

Compassion is easier to find in pre-allo than allo. Those of us in medical school have a tendency to forget what that word means.

crimsonkid85

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
Compassion is easier to find in pre-allo than allo. Those of us in medical school have a tendency to forget what that word means.
sorry to be cynical, but the OP's insistence that "HIS FRIEND" posted via his SN is about as believable as the type of threads that are along the lines of: 'MY FRIEND is a convicted drug user...what is his/her chances of getting into med school?'

Kimm100569

Pseudo Angel
10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2006
Indiana
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)

Unfortunately, I believe you. I've heard my father was a completely different person in that respect before med school. Wonder what makes people snap...

spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2006
Somewhere over the rainbow
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
sorry to be cynical, but the OP's insistence that "HIS FRIEND" posted via his SN is about as believable as the type of threads that are along the lines of: 'MY FRIEND is a convicted drug user...what is his/her chances of getting into med school?'

Well, it really doesn't matter much, anyway. Without further information about the OP's interviewing habits and other relevant factors, we can't provide any useful feedback other than, "wait patiently."

crimsonkid85

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
Well, it really doesn't matter much, anyway. Without further information about the OP's interviewing habits and other relevant factors, we can't provide any useful feedback other than, "wait patiently."

you're right spicedmanna. this is what happens when it's almost 4am and i stop THINKING before i post... :oops:

ok... i'm off to bed :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Kimm100569

Pseudo Angel
10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2006
Indiana
Status (Visible)

What did that have to do with what CriticalMass wrote? Shouldn't you have quoted me *feels left out*. I guess I try not to judge people to harshly and find it believable since I have two roommates and we all use the same computer. I don't log out of a lot of things (I click on "remember me/password" when possible) and my roommates and I end up posting on sites or browsing websites with each other’s log-ins. We've accidentally read each other’s e-mail without even thinking about it (which leads to some weird discoveries about those you room with :scared: ) My favorite is "I'm really a mystical Unicorn, but am human during the day...am I consider a minority? What are my chances?" To that I'd say, how will this work when you go into 3rd year and have to be on-call? Do you think being a unicorn will harm or help you? How has this disadvantaged you? Have you learned anything from your unique circumstances?

About the Ads

crimsonkid85

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
What did that have to do with what CriticalMass wrote? Shouldn't you have quoted me *feels left out*. I guess I try not to judge people to harshly and find it believable since I have two roommates and we all use the same computer. I don't log out of a lot of things (I click on "remember me/password" when possible) and my roommates and I end up posting on sites or browsing websites with each other’s log-ins. We've accidentally read each other’s e-mail without even thinking about it (which leads to some weird discoveries about those you room with :scared: ) My favorite is "I'm really a mystical Unicorn, but am human during the day...am I consider a minority? What are my chances?" To that I'd say, how will this work when you go into 3rd year and have to be on-call? Do you think being a unicorn will harm or help you? How has this disadvantaged you? Have you learned anything from your unique circumstances?

it doesn't have to do with CriticalMass's post...i just clicked the wrong 'quote' button... :oops:

you're probably right--what the OP described is not impossible, in theory...

in fact, i am *still* in the process of writing a longer-than-expected proposal, so i was rather unhappy when i made the post. sorry if i was snappy, and i apologize to the OP if you're actually telling the truth... ;)

gary5

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 25, 2003
Status (Visible)
Schedule a practice interview with your premed advisor. If this year doesn't work out, shoot lower with your choice of schools. What are your stats?

JourneyToMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2005
Status (Visible)

Thank you.

Why does everyone have to be so cynical? Why would I lie about my own problems? My roommate and I accidentally buy stuff on each others' amazon accounts often. It's not such a big deal. Geez. We share computers. **** gets posted on other people's crap. She's going to sunny UCSD. I'm in limbo. My stats are mediocre-- I won't lie-- they were good enough to get me 9 interviews (although 3 were in home state of NY). I just don't get it.

Ughhhh.

freetheyaz

Master of my domain
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2006
MA
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Yes. That would be my roommate, the genius who forgot to log out of my user name and express her joy in full force. Not that I'm jealous or anything.

I call shenanigans

97595567_d0b67df8e1_m.jpg

smq123

John William Waterhouse
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Thank you.

Why does everyone have to be so cynical? Why would I lie about my own problems? My roommate and I accidentally buy stuff on each others' amazon accounts often. It's not such a big deal. Geez. We share computers. **** gets posted on other people's crap. She's going to sunny UCSD. I'm in limbo. My stats are mediocre-- I won't lie-- they were good enough to get me 9 interviews (although 3 were in home state of NY). I just don't get it.

Ughhhh.

Oh. Goodness.

That explains that post. I'm sure your roommate didn't realize what she was doing, but that's just...uggh.

I'd still call the admissions offices and ask what happened. Many are willing to talk to interviewees about the admissions decision. If you thought that the interview went well (and clearly you did), then finding out what the interviewer thought can be helpful.

There's still time, though, and hopefully those waitlists will be moving soon! Good luck.

Auraraptor

10+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
My stats are mediocre-- I won't lie-- they were good enough to get me 9 interviews (although 3 were in home state of NY). I just don't get it.

Ughhhh.

What kind of mediocre stats get you interviews at the top schools?

phamish

10+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
I think that it's important at the interview that you show an interest in the school and that the school itself is a great fit for you. Not to say that you probably haven't tried, but I believe interviewers perceive the applicant's enthusiasm for their specific school as an indicator of how likely he or she will accept their offer. Good luck with everything.

soco

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Maybe your roomie accidentally withdrew from your schools or sent in a LOI using your email addy. It sounds like the comp isn't too secure around there. I'll stfu now.

Krisss17

10+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2007
In btwn here and there!
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
Thank you.

Ughhhh.

Because some of these posters are so quick to notice someone else's issues versus their very own.

Wishing you the best of luck...I personally think the odds are in your favor. Good luck:luck: :luck: :luck:

NervousNed

10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2006
Status (Visible)
awesome job, and robizzle, i remember you from long ago, seems you found your choice a school:p :p :p

Karina 07

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
It all depends when those interviews were.

In the fall? Then yea, you have a problem :p.

This term? Nah, many schools have been almost full up for a long time. Honestly, I'd have put the odds at getting in from interviews at *some* schools in February at like 2% or something.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.