what's wrong with me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ComplexPuzzle

shakin dat a**
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
so last year, i had to decide what schools to apply to...so i made a list and checked it twice and then sent off my money and my hope...well now (a year later) i realize i pretty much dont think i like any of the schools i applied to...i cant see myself living in any of these places...and pretty much i am going insane...some days i just want to start all over again and this time rethink my choices and make better ones...who put me in charge of my life...i am making a disaster out of it...

Members don't see this ad.

Did you get accepted to any of those places? If it's only one, then suck it up and go. If you are having trouble deciding, then may be people on here can help you out.

X

If you're in anywhere then please...suck it up, I'm waiting to get in somewhere so I don't have to go to the Caribbean or something...:confused:

Your avatar is nice though...maybe you should just ask your friends & family to help you decide...but this is so not a problem it's...just you being a bit "cold footed" I wonder if you'll reconsider your husband/wife on wedding day or doubt your major at graduation...

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I applied some places I wouldn't want to go - it's not ideal but you end up applying to all kinds of places you've never been and it's really not till you visit both the city and the school that you can get a feel for whether you would be happy with it. So it's not totally surprising. Having said that if you hated every single one of those places you should think seriously about what it is thats bugging you. Is it really something wrong with the places? Or is there something (like a relationship? or fear of the new?) thats holding you to where you are now?

If you've made the right decision about going into medicine, I don't think it will matter once you get there. I remember wandering around the hospital the night before an interview with a friend who was a student there--it wasn't my first-choice school, but I was just so excited at the thought of my third year, walking around a hospital with all this medical knowledge and something important to do (hey, no one rain on my parade right now--in my fantasy, I am not a mere scutmonkey) ... anyway, I think if you make the best of your options right now, you will warm up to it when you start.

I think (and I could be wrong) that you're just nervous about everything changing all at once. I know I am. I've lived in one state, one area, all my life... and have always lived with my mom (I'm 21). During the summers I lived with my husabnd (then boyfriend)... so I've never lived completely alone. I can't imagine living totally my myself in some totally new city. I can't "see myself" at any of the places I applied either. It's just so hard to imagine everything changing all at once like that.

So maybe that's what's happening with you... it's not that you really don't like hte places... it's just a lot of change to have to imagine.

Starting medical school is a big step for everyone. It takes a lot of time, energy and patience to begin and get through. Maybe you're just getting nervous of the task ahead but a lot of people feel this way too. Relax and look at the bigger picture: you'll be a doctor!

I'm kind of confused....is this a program or location issue? You elude to both...

If the program is of quality...then it may be worth sucking it up and living in a $hitty location for 4 years....you're not going to have much free time or money anyway.

If the program is sub-par...but the location seems like fun...then I would talk to your school advisor (hopefully you have one that deals with med applicants) about the schools reputation. Contact the schools and assess their track record on matching applicants, etc....use this to weigh your decision.

If the program is awful along with a $hitty location...then you really need to consider what's most important to you...and do you have any other options. Would you be willing to put things off a year and reapply next fall? What are your chances of getting accepted to better programs?....etc.

If you're ambivalent, you might want to revisit a few schools you're most interested before deciding. A simple rule of thumb that always works for me is, "Is it better than nothing?" i.e. if going to a certain school would be the equivalent of being in a bad relationship, then definitely no. However, if the drawbacks are worth it to you, then maybe take a chance.

I remember that my impressions of the schools I've attended always change each semester depending on the activities/classes I'm involved in, so you never know. If you have at least one acceptance and decide to reapply, that is a very big risk. I recall that you have had interviews at some great schools--which ones are you thinking about?