What's WRONG with premed women????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It seems as if I am one of the few women to post on this forum that has more female friends than male friends. Interestingly enough, none of my (current) good female friends are premed. Perhaps the inherent competition of a premed atmosphere drives these women to behave in this manner, although I have personally never seen such behavior before either. One of my best friends was premed and we actually lived together. Everything was hunky-dory until we actually started having classes together and all hell broke loose. There was a lot of competition and jealousy on her part, although quite frankly, I'm not sure what happened because we never had any fights. There was simply a quiet drifting away and feeling of hostility. This story now has a happy ending however: she is in medical school, I am currently applying, and we are maintaining a long distance friendship that is working okay for now.

I guess women are very competitive, just in a different way than men. Men take out their competitive urges on a football field or by buying fancy electronic equipment. For women however, the competition is more intrinsic and is manifested in appearance and lifestyle: how many boyfriends, how many clothes, etc. As people have said before however, I have met many annoying guys in my classes. I think we should also think about how if a man is stubborn and opinionated he is strong, while a woman is just a 5itch. I know this isn't always the case, but it is very often.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by sabrinafair84
It seems as if I am one of the few women to post on this forum that has more female friends than male friends.

You're not alone. I just neglected to mention that all of my good friends are female (premeds, engineer, med student, journalist, grad students). I have had few male friends in my life, let alone good male friends. I'm not exactly sure why that is but it probably has to do with my hobbies being very "girly" hobbies. I generally get along well with everyone but you only become friends with people with whom you spend time outside of class or work or however you met them. With most guys I just have no reason to spend any time with them outside of class or work stuff because we just don't do the same things for fun.