SMCohen

10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Of all the dental schools you applied to, what's your first choice? And why?

Here's mine:
School: U of Buffalo
Reason: Closest to home (but I guess when you add it all up, it will also be the least expensive option since I can drive there (as opposed to fly) and the cost of living will not be particularly high)

dat_student

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2005
Weyburn Terrace :-)
Status

OSUDDS

10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Podiatry Student
School: Ohio State all the way baby!
Reason: Needs no explanation

About the Ads

Siubking

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 31, 2004
Status
Harvard, because my mom will pay for my tuition if I get into Harvard :rolleyes:

kokobean

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2006
California
Status
Dentist
School: UOP
Reason: close to home, and only 3 years!

aggie-master

Scrub
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2004
TX
Visit site
Status
Dentist
School: UTHSC - San Antonio
Reason: It's not too far from home and I could see myself living in that area for four years.

HermeytheElf

10+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2005
Hollywood Upstairs Dental College
Status
Pre-Dental
Here's a hint: At your intervew (and from your stats, I'm fairly confident most of you will interview at your top choice), when they ask you why you want to go to their school, please don't give them the reasons you've listed here (cost and location).

My top choice: UNC
Reason: Excellent research funding and faculty. Plus, I hear there are some killer house parties in Durham when the Duke lacrosse team is in town.

Envision

Envisioning...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2005
Irvine
Status
Dentist
top choices: UOP & UCSF
Reason: Close to home, great schools.

Notoriousjae

DAT Rockstar
10+ Year Member
May 23, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
HermeytheElf said:
Here's a hint: At your intervew (and from your stats, I'm fairly confident most of you will interview at your top choice), when they ask you why you want to go to their school, please don't give them the reasons you've listed here (cost and location).

My top choice: UNC
Reason: Excellent research funding and faculty. Plus, I hear there are some killer house parties in Durham when the Duke lacrosse team is in town.

:laugh:

OP
SMCohen

SMCohen

10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
HermeytheElf said:
Plus, I hear there are some killer house parties in Durham when the Duke lacrosse team is in town.
That's an even better reason to give at your interview! ;)

OP
SMCohen

SMCohen

10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I don't think location is such a terrible reason to mention, so long as it is not emphasized nor is the primary reason.

prez_al

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 17, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Top choices: UNC and Buffalo

UNC: The research, the parties and basketball team
Buffalo: Good patient base, alright research, and yes... location, since it's only an hours drive from where I live.

Realistically I can see myself getting into NYU or some other private place.

swanlake

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2005
Status
Pre-Dental
Top choice: UPenn

Reason: because I'm going there.....haha

No offense !!!! :laugh:

About the Ads

future_dentist

10+ Year Member
May 14, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
Top Choice: New York..... :cool:

Nah I am just kidding....hopefully somewhere....dont care where.....Really scared of DATs...

armorshell

One Man Freak Show
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2006
Status
Non-Student
I'm psyched enough about practicing dentistry that I *really* wouldn't know what to do if I get accepted to more then one school.

I just want to go somewhere :)

Notoriousjae

DAT Rockstar
10+ Year Member
May 23, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
future_dentist said:
Top Choice: New York..... :cool:

Nah I am just kidding....hopefully somewhere....dont care where.....Really scared of DATs...

Top Choices: UMDNJ, Columbia, NYU
Reason: close to home

Future Dentist, we're scheduled to take the DAT the same day! Good luck to ya.

future_dentist

10+ Year Member
May 14, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
Notoriousjae said:
Top Choices: UMDNJ, Columbia, NYU
Reason: close to home

Future Dentist, we're scheduled to take the DAT the same day! Good luck to ya.
Wao that is so cool...I thought I was late in taking DATs....so how r u studying for it....man....I am not really doing well....my Kaplan Diagnostic sucked :mad: and I have mid term on Tuesday....well I really hope that I do good....I am freaking out...r u the same....or am I just loosing it...

Notoriousjae

DAT Rockstar
10+ Year Member
May 23, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
future_dentist said:
Wao that is so cool...I thought I was late in taking DATs....so how r u studying for it....man....I am not really doing well....my Kaplan Diagnostic sucked :mad: and I have mid term on Tuesday....well I really hope that I do good....I am freaking out...r u the same....or am I just loosing it...

I'm freaking out too. I cant believe i only have a month left. dont worry about the diagnostic. your scores will go up with more studying. the problem with me is that ive been through everything once using the kaplan blue book but i feel like i've retained only about 60% of everything i've studied and bio is really freaking me out because there is just so much to study for :scared: i plan on going over everything a second time which should make it better and then start working on those practice tests!!
btw the diagnostic sucked for me as well.

DDS:)

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2005
Status
Dental Student
My top choice UOP, really really wanna go there. But I am not Cali. residence, and I dont have those CRAZY DAT scores :scared:

OP
SMCohen

SMCohen

10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
future_dentist said:
If this is of any consolation, I found the General Chem part of the DAT easier than test questions provided by Kaplan. I can't say much for the other science parts, however, because the Canadian DAT had fewer sections (no physics, math, organic chem).

prez_al

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 17, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
SMCohen said:
If this is of any consolation, I found the General Chem part of the DAT easier than test questions provided by Kaplan. I can't say much for the other science parts, however, because the Canadian DAT had fewer sections (no physics, math, organic chem).
That is true, but then we had the soap carving.... depending on how you do on that section depends whether you have to migrate to the states for dental school....

4thQtrDreams

Good times, for a change.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2004
San Francisco
www.predents.com
Status
Dental Student
hpets said:
Stony Brook -close to home/in-state tuition
UoP: 3 years instead of 4
Columbia: close to home, sibling is starting there this year
Stonybrook/buffalo: the price is right

But id go anywhere, including NYU :cool:

fightingspirit

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2005
Status
Dental Student
to those who mentioned stony brook:

stony brook is not just an affordable school. it is also a great school. you need to do some research on it (read website, ask dentists, ask SDNers..etc)....in fact, it is probably the most underrated dental school in the country...

good luck to ya'll

4thQtrDreams

Good times, for a change.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2004
San Francisco
www.predents.com
Status
Dental Student
fightingspirit said:
to those who mentioned stony brook:

stony brook is not just an affordable school. it is also a great school. you need to do some research on it (read website, ask dentists, ask SDNers..etc)....in fact, it is probably the most underrated dental school in the country...

good luck to ya'll
Yeah, stony brook could be considered top 10 in some lists, its very competitive and also has a tiny class (35 seats) making it even harder to get into. Im a New Yorker and of the two state schools i think i have a shot at buffalo but Stony Brook would be a bit of a reach.

Out of staters should probably not waste their time/money with Stony Brook.
(Then again i know at least 1 new yorker that got accepted to UCLA this year.. and didnt go)

SpikeyMike83

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 19, 2005
GA
Status
my number 1 choice is MCG.

They have a great patient pool, and have some decent research from what I understand. They also have a great facility, even though it's not the newest. And having enough chairs for each student is definitely a plus, no fighting for chair time :)

And of course, its closest to my home town.

dental#1

Fla DDS
10+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
Top Choice: NOVA (NSU)
Reason: Present school, and new labs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love my campus!

About the Ads