What's your annual salary and average hours worked per week?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedLightPass

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen salary surveys online, but I'm hoping to get personal answers from the folks on SDN. Sorry if this is a rude question, but I find Neuroscience interesting and I'm curious to know what the quality of my life will be if I choose this path.

Members don't see this ad.

Just go look at career listings on the aan website. There are numerous practice settings and specialties within neurology and odds are you wont find but a handful of people making the same for what they do.

Nope nope nope. Everyone's situation is different, and trying to derive actionable information from that sort of data is likely to be misleading. Areas of the country, local demand, subspecialty, call burden, research burden, admin burden, practice size, promotion structure, hospital pay structure, partnership structure, benefit packages, retirement matching, loan repayment, and many other factors influence what people report as their "salary". Legal work, consultancy, speakers bureaus, CME, editorial work, and other supplements can make a huge difference between "salary" and take home income.

Besides, I don't put stuff like that online. It's uncouth.

I've seen salary surveys online, but I'm hoping to get personal answers from the folks on SDN. Sorry if this is a rude question, but I find Neuroscience interesting and I'm curious to know what the quality of my life will be if I choose this path.

Quality of life depends on what you choose to do within neurology. Up until a month ago I was covering call at two hospitals greater than 20 days a month. That was hell and it was not worth it, even for a million dollars per year. I finally put my foot down on this and had to or the quality of my life was going to take a downward spiral. Again, I cannot emphasize this enough, even if I was making big bucks, it was not worth it!!!

On the other hand, you may decide to subspecialize somewhere within neurology and of course, hours, pay, etc depends on given subspecialty. You have plenty of time to decide. If you like what you are doing, you will be satisfied. If you are making enough money to put food on your table and pay back your debts, you should be satisfied.