What's your answer to this classic residency interview question?

flightnurse2MD

I’m just a Maserati in a world of Kias
Bronze Donor
5+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2014
Southwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm sure at some point during the conversation- what are your strengths and weaknesses will be asked. How does one answer the weaknesses part of the stem? I'm debating between saying either kryptonite or virgin's blood.... :)

Reactions: spacegun

Kkshake

2+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Do that annoying thing where you turn your weakness into a positive.

mvenus929

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Do that annoying thing where you turn your weakness into a positive.
You don't necessarily have to turn it into a positive (like 'I care too much' or 'I'm too hard working'), but you should not let it leave a sour taste in the interviewers mouth. For instance, you shouldn't say something like 'I often leave things unfinished'.

My tactic is to use a real weakness, and explain what I'm doing to work on it. In my case, public speaking--I have a few anecdotes of disastrous speaking incidents, and emphasize what I have been doing to get over my fear and to become a better speaker. You could say 'I have some difficulty with organization, but have been working on a system that allows me to make sure I complete all my work in a timely manner'.

About the Ads
Jul 30, 2017
Southlake, TX
www.utsouthwestern.edu
Status
Attending Physician
You don't necessarily have to turn it into a positive (like 'I care too much' or 'I'm too hard working'), but you should not let it leave a sour taste in the interviewers mouth. For instance, you shouldn't say something like 'I often leave things unfinished'.

My tactic is to use a real weakness, and explain what I'm doing to work on it. In my case, public speaking--I have a few anecdotes of disastrous speaking incidents, and emphasize what I have been doing to get over my fear and to become a better speaker. You could say 'I have some difficulty with organization, but have been working on a system that allows me to make sure I complete all my work in a timely manner'.
Awareness/insight and doing something about it. Perfect.

Reactions: frosted2
Dec 22, 2016
Status
Attending Physician
Be honest. As long as your weakness is something that you can show improvement on, you can use it. My weakness was interrupting people, and I've worked on that.

Reactions: Dermpire

Tenk

10+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Acute traumatic blood loss. It's why I work in the ED. I'm about 10 seconds away from the rapid transfuser.

Sep 15, 2017
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
How about setting high standards/ trying to aim for perfection and then being too hard on onself when things dont go according to plan? ( this is genuine weakness, always felt that my projects / tests/ werent 'that good' and then berating myself.) Its not lack of confidence ( or is it?)

About the Ads