Whats your best advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NMUWildcat

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a freshman stduent and am unsure of what to major in. I see that the obvious majority of students entering med-school are scinece majors. I have been told though that Med-schools like to see other nonscience classes on your schedule as well as science. i was told that this shows them that you are more of a "complete thinker" not just science orientated. Also please post any helpful insights on what you wish you would have done while attending Undergrad school. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been accepted into medical school for the fall. However, it was an uphill battle. When I was an undergrad, I majored in engineering and utterly despised it. I thought I would like it but I didn't. Therefore, my lack of enthusiasm caused my grades to go down. I ended up returning to school as a post-bac.

My piece of advice, for what it's worth, is to major in what you like and in what you know you can excel. If I had to relive my undergrad years, I would have majored in Spanish, because I love foreign languages, and I would have studied abroad. I would have taken all of the medical school prereqs and a few extra science course. Med admissions like to see well rounded students.

Hello! You'll probably get the same advice from everyone else: major in something you enjoy studying. If it's a science, great; if not, that's great, too! Just make sure to get a list of prereqs & work them into your schedule if you opt out of a science major (most science majors require the prereqs). Anyway, if I had it to do all over again, I would have opted not to major in the sciences (I was biochem). I started off in public relations/marketing but switched to biochem midway through sophomore year. Looking back, I wish I'd continued in my first major since I think I would have enjoyed school more; studying all the time for a subject you don't really enjoy is no way to spend your college years
smile.gif
. And I advise participating in non-medical activities, too. Get away from the premed grind whenever you feel you need to. Anyway, hope this helps. Best of luck to you!

-rufus

I agree with everyone else here: major in a field that truly interests you. Your grades will almost certainly be better, and you'll have far fewer regrets about "missed opportunities" when you finally start med school. You're right that med schools like to see non-science applicants. I've been pleasantly surprised how many English, philosophy, history and foreign-language majors I've run into this year (I'm an m-1)

I was a history major (!) with no intention at that time of studying medicine. Later I ended up taking my science classes in a post-bacc program -- wish I had included them in my undergrad program...

By the way, you DO NOT need to major in a science to do well on the MCAT.